Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Wide View Aspect or not

7 hours ago, spilok said:

Wide Aspect =TRUE in the config, and Wide Aspect checked in the sim

I do think a lot of people think the cfg is a mystery treasure which contains options you can't set in any other way: this may be true for some specific tweaks (of which I personally use none) but ALL settings you can set using the option screens in the sim actually alter and end up in various cfg's! That simply is the place where the sim options are saved!

So just to be sure, for those who want to fool around with all this: there is no need to edit the cfg. The option in the sim takes care of that. In other words: what you see in the cfg is actually being taken care off with the option on the sim, so if, in this case, you uncheck Wide Aspect in the sim, the cfg will show Wide Aspect FALSE and if you check it in the sim, the cfg shows TRUE. 

So the advice is: whenever you can do something in the sim's option screens do NOT edit the cfg's. There is no need for this at all and you may only screw things up. :happy: In fact (some additional advice), I myself don't use any tweaks and never touch the cfg's. Imho even the official LM endorsed tweaks are useless but that's just my very personal and subjective opinion.

Anyway, I am glad you found your perfect zoom, spilok! I am not surprised it turned out to be 0.70. :cool:

Having known the answer to this question for donkeys years and when I see people (possibly new to the hobby) posting messages for answers to questions like this  ...... 

I do reflect

I smile .... and think .. 'Hmmm .. Maybe I have been simming for wayyyy too long'  ..... Haha :biggrin:

There have been three YouTube videos on the various zoom settings with and without Wide View Aspect. This is the first one: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

While, of course, you can choose any value you want, it suggests a zoom setting of 1.0 for Wide View Aspect = True - independent of your monitor - as the most natural one. You may find this a bit on the high side, but the arguments are quite convincing.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

14 minutes ago, pmb said:

You may find this a bit on the high side, but the arguments are quite convincing.

What are arguments worth if you don't like what they lead to...? :happy: I fully understand the arguments but I find the view at 1.0 unusuable and not pleasing at all. That is THE argument that overrules all other arguments. :happy:

What setting do you recommend with chaseplane?

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

19 minutes ago, J van E said:

What are arguments worth if you don't like what they lead to...? :happy: I fully understand the arguments but I find the view at 1.0 unusuable and not pleasing at all. That is THE argument that overrules all other arguments. :happy:

Yes, Sir, of course you are right.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, J van E said:

I find the view at 1.0 unusuable and not pleasing at all. That is THE argument that overrules all other arguments. :happy:

Completely agree on all points.  I use .60

Like others have said it before, the WWAspect option ON relates to the image height. This is due to the fact that long time ago, the screens were only 4:3 and such MS locked the zoom factor to the width of the screen.

With any other wider monitors, in order to keep the same view, you will have to use WWA to true (otherwise your sim will stretch the image to the sides and you will have to change your zoom level which will lead to a wrong aspect ratio --> you will mostly never be able to truly estimate where the TDZ of the RWY is).

WWA=true locks the zoom to your image height thus the image will not stretch to the sides but show you more field of view.

Now the Zoom must be set acc to eye distance and image height. A zoom of 1 will only be possible on big TV's because they will show almost anything in 1:1 ratio. Since we don't have such big monitors you will have to measure your image height (image height ist the window in which your sim is visible -> it does make a difference if you are fullscreen or windowed!) and divide it to your eye to screen distance.

e.g a 24" monitor with HD res 1920x1080 has a screen height of ~289mm. If you sit 500mm (50cm) away from your monitor you must set a zoom of: 289 / 500 = 0,58. If you run windowed then you have to measure the height of your displayed FS window ~265mm with the same monitor. In this case you will have to set a zoom of: 265 / 500 = 0,53.

Setting this zoom level you the have to position your view inside the cockpit and all should fit well.

If you know the eyedistance of the pilot towards the instruments (I'm not a pilot but expect 80 or more cm) you will have to use a TV / Monitor with the image height which almost equals the 80cm -> thus you will have a zoom of 1.

• Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Ya... what Gerald said! (well, mostly :biggrin:)  FWIW, I use wide aspect with a zoom of .6 for a 58" 4K monitor and a viewing distance of about 32". Instruments and landscape appear  close to actual size with these settings.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 hours ago, pmb said:

Yes, Sir, of course you are right.

Kind regards, Michael

:happy: What I said had nothing to do with being right (or wrong). On the contrary. It had everything to do with what you like or what is important to you and in that case there is no right or wrong. (And this actually IS right LOL )

1 hour ago, GEKtheReaper said:

With any other wider monitors, in order to keep the same view, you will have to use WWA to true (otherwise your sim will stretch the image to the sides and you will have to change your zoom level which will lead to a wrong aspect ratio

:huh:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 hours ago, otreblA said:

What setting do you recommend with chaseplane?

Whatever looks good to YOU. Really - you're asking about a setting that makes things look real and the only one that can answer that is you. Keep trying different settings until you find the one that fits you.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That's the best statement.  YOU have to like it.  End of story!

Stan

• Upvote 1

On 8.9.2017 at 2:42 PM, MarkDH said:

:huh:

Well "stretch image" was the wrong wording for sure. There are a series of 3 nice videos on youtube regarding Aspect and zoom ratio. While I think they are somewhat confusing, if you watch only ~half of the first one (where the viewing system is explained) and the last one, you will have a value you can tast.

Imagine a 4:3 image on your 16:9 display and you will have left and right 2 black borders. Without WWA set to true, the sim will zoom in the image in, until the black sideborders are filled. Due the fact that zooming in will extend the image beyond the top and bottom of your screen, the sim will cut that part from top/bottom to fit your monitor. So you will end up with a zoomed in image and will actualy see less in the vertical (up/down) and the same horizontal as in a 4:3 monitor.

Setting WWA to true you will fix the top and bottom of your image. In this way the sim can no longer fill the sides using a larger zoom and will be "forced" to show you more of your surroundings = more horizontal view angle!

While I totaly agree on Vic's statement, there are users (and I've  seen some between my friends) who have no idea (or are far away from an optimal) regarding the zoom factor. They can hardly estimate where the TDZ of the RWY is because it is either way too far or way to close.

I think Vic should have added the fact that if you feel that your zoom level is correct (thus can easely land using visuals or don't feel that ARP buildings are inside your cockpit or miles away), you will mostly have your correct zoom level!

The math I provided in my first answer in this thread, is not mine but taken from the 3rd video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGT2hEiDUc. The math will help you get close to the real thing (that's why the most of the users using a 24" monitor settle arround 0,56...0,7 zoom).

Best regards,

Gerald

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

6 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Setting WWA to true you will fix the top and bottom of your image. In this way the sim can no longer fill the sides using a larger zoom and will be "forced" to show you more of your surroundings = more horizontal view angle!

Or you can just zoom out!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro