Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

PA46 Autopilot gauge

I have P3Dv4 and I've had an issue with the autopilot, where I cannot preselect the altitude for alt hold.  There is a gauge at the top of the screen that seems to be meant for setting alt and heading, but when I click on those buttons nothing happens.  Was this gauge meant to be inoperative, if anyone might know?

I can select V/S in the main autopilot gauge.

John

22 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I have P3Dv4 and I've had an issue with the autopilot, where I cannot preselect the altitude for alt hold.  There is a gauge at the top of the screen that seems to be meant for setting alt and heading, but when I click on those buttons nothing happens.  Was this gauge meant to be inoperative, if anyone might know?

I can select V/S in the main autopilot gauge.

John

You have to turn on either the FD or the AP before they'll work. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have the AP turned on, it's the top gauge that doesn't function.  I'll try turning on the FD to see if that works, haven't tried that.  For the time being I set the VS and once I reach my intended cruise altitude I set VS to and the altitude is held.

John

41 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I have the AP turned on, it's the top gauge that doesn't function.  I'll try turning on the FD to see if that works, haven't tried that.  For the time being I set the VS and once I reach my intended cruise altitude I set VS to and the altitude is held.

I use it in 3.4 so, maybe that's the difference.  In the Mirage the AP switch has 3 positions...OFF, FD and AP/FD so, if AP is on, FD is on.  Once either AP or FD are on, the little gauge above the engine instruments and flight computer  *should* become active, displaying altimeter and, at that point, the buttons work.  The little gauge to the left of that gauge...really just a window...should show the active AP modes.  If that doesn't work then I'd report it to Carenado.  Perhaps they broke something.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

6 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I use it in 3.4 so, maybe that's the difference.  In the Mirage the AP switch has 3 positions...OFF, FD and AP/FD so, if AP is on, FD is on.  Once either AP or FD are on, the little gauge above the engine instruments and flight computer  *should* become active, displaying altimeter and, at that point, the buttons work.  The little gauge to the left of that gauge...really just a window...should show the active AP modes.  If that doesn't work then I'd report it to Carenado.  Perhaps they broke something.

Thanks Gregg, I did what you suggested and the gauge responded, I had to turn the flight director on.  I just did a flight from Napa to Santa Ana and the autopilot maintained the altitude I set via the gauge.  I did the flight in realtime to try out my Megascenery California scenery.  Ate a Pizza while I was flying down the coast LOL.

John

1 minute ago, Cactus521 said:

Thanks Gregg, I did what you suggested and the gauge responded, I had to turn the flight director on.  I just did a flight from Napa to Santa Ana and the autopilot maintained the altitude I set via the gauge.  I did the flight in realtime to try out my Megascenery California scenery.  Ate a Pizza while I was flying down the coast LOL.

John

Glad to hear it's working well.

Gregg Seipp