Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Queen in VR

Amazing is the only word that can describe the Queen flying in Virtual cockpit with Oculus Rift. You are there and it is all in 3d virtual reality. The glare shield panel comes right out at you and is almost in your face while the main panel is sunk back in (in what seems like almost a foot back) from it. Knobs, switches and such are 3d and you just want to start grabbing them. 

Using native P3dv4 VR so the fps are a bit low so I turn down many sliders but you really don't care too much for site seeing when you have this amazing, complex cockpit in front of you to play with. 

Combine this with MCE or FS2 Crew ( I am testing the MCE version now but thinking FS2 Crew is the way to go with VR).

I cannot show a screenshot or video because it would not come near what you will see with a VR headset. 

Simply the best way to fly the best virtual airliner available today and thanks to PMDG for making their cockpit 3d. 

Wow!

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

How long are you able to fly in VR? Reason I ask is I have a friend that does auto racing sims under VR and I can take about 15-30 minutes before getting a headache. His rig also moves, banks and shakes. I typically fly for about 2-3 hours and want to take the plunge, but not sure how long it is feasible to sustain that. I am hoping it is the movement combined with the high paced action of a racing sim, but its a pricey hardware purchase for someone that could get headaches. 

Warbirds, I thought the same thing when I put on my new Pimax and  hopped into the Queen. The glearshield really stands out like it should. Truely amazing immersion.

I need to find out how to move the camera starting point back ever so slightly. The 777 is perfect but in the queen its just a bit too far forward for me.

Kowen, I've only had my VR headset for a week so I haven't had too many hours use out of it. I only have P3Dv4 so I'm still waiting for the flyinside software to be released. So far my feeling is that I could spend all day with the headset on. GA aircraft maybe not so much as there is more head movement, more looking inside and out of the aircraft, (because you want to) and more noticeable bumps from turbulence. This of course is what it's like in real life.

IM

2 hours ago, petabread said:

How do you guys handle the problem of the 2 crosshairs?

I don't use them. (mouse pointer out of sight) I have control buttons programed for the basic stuff. Although I love VR, without flyinside I think its pointless at this stage. (P3DV4)

Just IMHO

ICE

What I like about P3Dv4 native VR is that it is possible to go in and out of VR during different stages of the flight. I can do all the preparation, FMC programming, etc in 2D using Chaseplane, and then use the Rift for taxi, takeoff and climb. During long cruises, I also find it more convenient to use 2D. I would then go back into VR for descent, approach and landing.

Hopefully native VR will evolve in the next versions, so that Flyinside is not really needed anymore. 

In any case, it is an amazing experience! 

Thiago Braun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

14 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Warbirds, I thought the same thing when I put on my new Pimax and  hopped into the Queen. The glearshield really stands out like it should. Truely amazing immersion.

I need to find out how to move the camera starting point back ever so slightly. The 777 is perfect but in the queen its just a bit too far forward for me.

Kowen, I've only had my VR headset for a week so I haven't had too many hours use out of it. I only have P3Dv4 so I'm still waiting for the flyinside software to be released. So far my feeling is that I could spend all day with the headset on. GA aircraft maybe not so much as there is more head movement, more looking inside and out of the aircraft, (because you want to) and more noticeable bumps from turbulence. This of course is what it's like in real life.

IM

To move back in the cockpit have your VR headset on and in the Virtual Cockpit. Next make sure you have your view reset button assigned to joystick or other. Next while in the Virtual Cockpit lean forward and then hit the reset view button and now you will be farther back. The more you lean forward before resetting the view the farther back you will be. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Sadly the Pimax 4k Headset doesn't do forward and back movement but I've heard some folks have got Track IR to work and set only the forward/back option.

As yet I can't get Track IR to work in VR so I'm wondering if flyinside is needed.

IM

I tried OR on my setup but I didn’t like the fact that the resolution is so low and I couldn’t read the gauges. Ultimately it was just too expensive and I returned it. I will be all over VR when the technology improves. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

3 hours ago, phoenixphire said:

I tried OR on my setup but I didn’t like the fact that the resolution is so low and I couldn’t read the gauges. Ultimately it was just too expensive and I returned it. I will be all over VR when the technology improves. 

That's why I went with the 4K Pimax. I have nothing to compare it with but I don't have the screen door effect and I can read the gauges. Outside the window is a bit blurry compared to my crystal clear 65" 4k TV.

So for that reason there's still a lot of improvement needed.

Pimax are going to release a 8k version later this year but I wonder how much housepower that will need.

IM

10 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

That's why I went with the 4K Pimax. I have nothing to compare it with but I don't have the screen door effect and I can read the gauges. Outside the window is a bit blurry compared to my crystal clear 65" 4k TV.

So for that reason there's still a lot of improvement needed.

Pimax are going to release a 8k version later this year but I wonder how much housepower that will need.

IM

Thanks or the tip. I will keep my eye out for the 8K. I have a GTX 1080. I wonder if that would cut it. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 11:19 PM, Iceman2 said:

I don't use them. (mouse pointer out of sight) I have control buttons programed for the basic stuff. Although I love VR, without flyinside I think its pointless at this stage. (P3DV4)

Just IMHO

ICE

I use voice control for most of my VR flying. MCE for the Queen and other planes and VoxKey or Voice Attack for other games. Your voice can control most of the systems and with MCE you have a responding voice to confirm. I love sitting in the Queen, cold and dark, and commanding the pre flight flows and listening to the copilot do all the checklist and seeing the switches move and gauges and panels change as he makes this great bird come alive. He can even monitor most systems and tells you when you are off a bit or too slow or low or flying poorly (if you want you can turn this part off).

i-5vbvgq6-S.png