Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Altering Photo and Signature

Moderators, Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum,

I am trying (very LOL) to update my signature and my profile photo.

Seem to remember that before the changes this was a simple process but now I can not even find the signature let alone editing it. I have just had a Boeing 737 repainted and would like to feature a photo of that (show it off is probably a better expression) and also a photo of my cockpit.

I selected the Aircraft and saved it and was then asked to resize it.  Given that I read that we could have any sort of photo up to 1 mb (mine is 52kb) I though that was ok. However, It will not let me resize it to cover the full photo but puts a portion of it into a neat little circle.  Quite obviously, this is not what I want and I have not even started on the cockpit. 

So I searched the forums and after a long search, came up with Help logging to AVSIM and setting up account.  However, apart from having nothing to do with profile photos or signatures, I could not even find a way to start a post in there.

Could some kind body or personage please point me to a guide or simply tell me how to do this and also how to update my signature 

Looking forward to any response.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Tony, when you're logged in look to the top right on any forum page. Next to the message icon, your profile icon will be displayed with your name next to it. To change anything in your profile or account, click on your name for a dropdown menu for changes to your signature, click on  account settings for a new page. You will get access to your signature from the menu displayed on the left side of the page.

It says you are allowed to upload images to the signature subkect to these rules:

Maximum of 2 images

Images up to 500 x 125 pixels

Textwise you are allowed:

Maximum of 5 URLs

Maximum of 5 lines

Your profile photo (the icon displayed next to each post) can be changed in this way: Click on your name on the top right again and select Profile. On the page which opens, there is a tab called Profile Photo on the bottom left f the banner space where your profile image should be displayed. Clicking on that should allow you to display the profile photo you want.

If I understand you correctly, you also want to change the photo displayed on your profile page itself? On the profile page which you used to edit the profile, there is a tab called Cover Photo on the top right of the banner space where your profile image should be displayed. Clicking on that should allow you to display the profile photo you want to show off.

Cheers,

Sascha

Sascha,

Thank you so much for that information. As you may notice my signature has been updated.

However, I would like to change my Photo as shown presently by the white outline on a black background. and also to insert a photo (banner like) into my signature. I used to have a photo which was a JPEG and to my knowledge had no problem in putting it there.

Now, it is just telling me that it exceeds 1024 pixels. and was skipped.

Can you please tell me how I can reduce these images to 1024 pixels (I have never met him let alone what dresses he wears LOL) That comment basicly should tell you that I have no idea what I am doing.

Could you also tell me how (once the JPEGS ar reduced to 1024 pixels) how to include them in the signature please.

Thanks for your help mate.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Sascha,

Further to the above,

I simply wsh to have a JPEG photo of my cockpit as the profile photo and a JPEG photoof my new 737 Repaint included in my signature. I don't know if this further information is relevant to you or not.

Thanks mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

To all

This is/has been an incredibly frustrating experience.

As stated I want to change the blank white face profile and insert two photos into my signature.

When I click on my name, I get into the signature page and am/was able to edit the text. Great. 

I now want to add two photos (allowable) so I click on "insert other media" which is the only way I can see to do this. I get two options.  As the photos I want to add are actually on my desktop I thought "insert existing attachment" was the way to go. I click on that and it tells me that I have no existing attachment. The other is demanding a URL which is totally irrelevant. I am losing the plot here and just going round and round achieving three fifths of five eights of sweet F.A.

This has to be an incredibly simple process that I am complicating the word not allowed out of.  Can somebody please give an old man a step by step guide to this.

Profile photo.

Again, I click on my name, Profile (edit profile is text only as far as I can see so is not relevant) so I click on cover photo .. and follow that process. I am able to import the photo I want and I am given the option to position it. I click on the area of the Profile photo ... save .. and the bloody thing fills the whole background. I thought that was a tad unusual but no problems. 

I got out of that, into forums and there is absolutely no change. OH, So I logged out of AVSIM and then logged back in again. Yep, that achieved nothing too. So I rebooted the computer back into AVSIM and.... No change.

Again this is probably a simple error that I continue to make but I cannot find it.

All I really want to do is show off my cockpit and my beautiful repainted 737.

Can somebody help with either of these problems or perhaps even both. 

This is a requirement before I lose what existing hair I have left.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Do you have Photoshop or Paint or another program to edit images? You need to resize it to 500 x 125 pixels. If you don't have any program, send me the image per mail to fs9evo at gmail.com and I'll do it. I have some time this evening (it's noon in Germany) and can check out the procedure required to add pictures.

Pixels are one colour dot in a digital image (ppi means pixels per inch, you may have come across this term). Or more precisely a pixel is one picture element, lots of these make up the whole image. LCD monitors use pixels to display an image and they have a native resolution. A 1920 x 1080 native resolution means that the monitor will display an image with exactly this number of pixels perfectly, hence the term pixel perfect.

Cheers,

Sascha

Sascha, 

I have actually found a programme and after many attempts I have managed to reduced the jpegs to 225 x 125 These seem to be ok. It is the process of applying these to my signature and profile photo that I am having the problems with.

I really don't know where to go to from here,and understandably am tired of going round and round, achieving nothing.  The resizing of the photos is no longer a problem though.

The resized JPEGS i have in a folder on the desktop but I cannot get them into either my profile photo or into my signature.

The one really sad thing is that this is all driven by an oversized ego and is really about showing off my cockpit and the new repaint.The repaint, especially is something that I am inordinately proud of because it is my own creation (albeit actually done by someone else) and probably of no interest to anybody else, but I would really like to show it off.

If you, or anybody else could just guide me (step by step) through the process of getting these photos into the system I would be incredibly happy.

Thank you for your interest and help

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

To change your profile photo: Click on your name on the top right on any page when logged in and select Profile from the menu which opened. On the profile page, on the bottom left of the large profile image there is a button called Profile Photo. Clicking on that opens a menu where you can upload your image or a url of your image.

I checked and you can insert an image into your signature using the insert other media button on the right bottom of the editor window. Inserting imahges via the html editor doesn't work anymore.

Cheers,

Sascha

Sascha,

Thanks you so much for that advice and as you may note, I now have a photo of my cockpit Not the worlds greatest and probably not the worlds most functional but It works in FS2004 at 50FPS.

However, as fast as that is in FS2004, in real life it took a fair while to grasp and manage to put that photo there. With that same alacrity, dexterity and reckless abandon, I am struggling still with the signature photos.

When i click on insert other media, I get the usual  two choices. Because the photo I want is in my computer I can not see the point in selecting the lower option "Insert image from URL" and I do not know how to do that anyway.

The other option "Insert existing attachment" simply takes me to a page which tells me that I have no attachments. Is it possible to copy/paste the photos into this area and where is it???

I apologise for this repeated request but I really am struggling.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hmm, I can't figure out how attach images to any post on the site. I don't think the option exists anymore. Copypasting into the signature doesn't work and using the html editor to directly place it doesn't work anymore either. Inserting a photo via url works similarly to using the screenshot forum: You upload your image to an image hosting service (I use imgur https://imgur.com/ ever since google made it impossible to embed images on another site), get the url of your image and insert it using the "Insert image from URL" option. I don't think there is another option.

Cheers,

Sascha

Thanks Sascha, I will pursue that with gratitude.

It may well be time to talk to some Mods to see if the sysem can be improved.

Cheers mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Good luck, I liked the old system better too! But with the amount of traffic on avsim I suppose it was unsustainable to host all images directly.

Cheers,

Sascha