Sign in to follow this  
silentsage

FPS in VC vs.

I have a general question about the difference between the FPS I get when in the virtual cockpit vs. "View Cockpit Forward" in P3D V4.  Not a complaint - I'm getting good performance overall.  It's just that when in the VC I'm running ~24 FPS, and in View Cockpit Forward I get better than 70 FPS.  I'm using a i9 7900x and a GTX 1080i, with  ORBX scenery and Active Sky P3D V4.  The issue is that when I'm in the VC, I get a stutter due to the low frame rates, and I'd like to improve that if possible. 

I've done a lot of experimenting, and my results are that the VC frame rate appears to be largely insensitive to terrain settings, lighting settings (including dynamic lighting and reflections), scenery objects, shadows, water, etc. (as long as I stay at reasonable settings). Also, using airports and flights in areas that don't involve Orbx or HD airport scenery has no effect.

I suspect the issue involves rendering the VC itself.  I've adjusted all the VC-related settings I can find (e.g., texture size) but no luck. 

I'd like to know if anyone has any any clever ideas to improve the VC FPS.  

Thanks in advance.

Dave Symanow

The most common problem is using FXAA settings. Don't.  Only use MSAA and this makes a substantial difference in performance.  I don't have stutters with frame rate locked at 20 fps, although lately I've been playing with 24 fps to improve the smoothness of panning.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 9/8/2017 at 8:40 AM, silentsage said:

I have a general question about the difference between the FPS I get when in the virtual cockpit vs. "View Cockpit Forward" in P3D V4.  Not a complaint - I'm getting good performance overall.  It's just that when in the VC I'm running ~24 FPS, and in View Cockpit Forward I get better than 70 FPS.  I'm using a i9 7900x and a GTX 1080i, with  ORBX scenery and Active Sky P3D V4.  The issue is that when I'm in the VC, I get a stutter due to the low frame rates, and I'd like to improve that if possible. 

I've done a lot of experimenting, and my results are that the VC frame rate appears to be largely insensitive to terrain settings, lighting settings (including dynamic lighting and reflections), scenery objects, shadows, water, etc. (as long as I stay at reasonable settings). Also, using airports and flights in areas that don't involve Orbx or HD airport scenery has no effect.

I suspect the issue involves rendering the VC itself.  I've adjusted all the VC-related settings I can find (e.g., texture size) but no luck. 

I'd like to know if anyone has any any clever ideas to improve the VC FPS.  

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know as well