Sign in to follow this  
paradoxbox

Most realistic turboprop for P3D?

Hi all.

Looking for a very realistic turboprop aircraft for P3D.

I already have the Majestic Dash-8 Q400 and like it very much. But it may be a little big, it can't fit into smaller fields.

I am a stickler for realism and do not care much about graphics, but I do care a lot about correct implementation of avionics and things like beta range etc. I can't stand aircraft which do not behave like their real world counterparts, it just drives me nuts. I don't mind if the graphics are poor as long as the simulation is accurate.

I do not mind flying aircraft with old avionics. I learned to fly in real life before GPS was very common and my first GPS was an ancient bendix king KLN something or other with a little dot-matrix screen.

I have looked at the Flight 1 King Air B200 and it looks very interesting. I do prefer older avionics but the videos are pretty persuasive. But I am also very open to single engined or quad turboprops.

My typical turboprop flights vary from short field to medevac to heavy cargo ops.

That would be the FlySimWare Cessna C441 Conquest II you'd be wanting then. :cool:

For a single, the Just Flight Piper PA-28 Turbo Arrow III/IV is pretty good.

Both of them are not too expensive and in fact the FSW C441 is on a discount at the moment (should be able to find it at most places for about 20 quid).

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The turboprop I found to be the most realistic is the Real Air Duke. I haven't tried to put it in v4 yet, but it is very realistic for P3D. I've got a bunch of real time in King Air's and the like, and those PT6 engines are heavy duty. 

The things that I like most about the Duke are:
1) attention to detail

2) sounds

3) engine handling (if you have a hot start, your engine will blow up -- & watch those temps in flight!)

4) aerodynamics/performance (the sweet spot has been hit with this one, balance between real world and sim handling)

5) Flight1's GPS intergration (LPV approaches, etc)

6) You can fly anywhere with this little beast (dirt, gravel, short, hot & high)

There honestly isn't much that I have to complain about. The ONLY thing is, and by no fault of its own is the thrust lag. It's a simulator limitation. The thrust lag is very annoying, in other words, the response time from when you put the thrust levers forward, to the power you achieve is very slow. In this regard, X-Plane 11 has it nailed down. Perfect ratio. I also wish that they simulated Icing as well... But, other than that, this airplane is awesome; there's no way you'll be disappointed. Watch some youtube videos on it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

• Upvote 2

I would also suggest the MU-2 by Flightsimware, very nice turboprop with very realistic behavior and has the ability to integrate the GTN 750. The VC visuals are fine, but surely not the best in the industry. Flight 1 KA 200 is nice ( not yet ported to P3D v4.0) and also as mentioned above the RealAir Tubine Duke v2.0, but unfortunately the Turbine Duke is no longer available. Can't go wrong with either one of these 3, but there is something about the MU-2 that keeps me going back to it!

Cheers

Martin

On 9/8/2017 at 7:12 PM, godimaginedme said:

The turboprop I found to be the most realistic is the Real Air Duke...

Good as it is, the problem is you can only find it as a CD version for FSX now since Real Air are no longer in business. It is still for sale in that format at Flight 1 and then you'd get it mailed to you, but even then it ain't a P3D aeroplane and it certainly ain't native to P3D V4 although I understand some people have got it in there by tweaking a few things manually, but I'd be disinclined to pay 40 quid for something which I'd have to start faffing about with just to install and which is not going to receive any patching should something change in P3D to prevent it working. It would be far more sensible to go with something which was native unless you really desperately wanted the Duke specifically and were prepared to start in with the DIY.

Alan Bradbury

First I heard that RealAir went out of business.  How sad.  I had their turbine and piston Duke in FSX and I really admired the quality.  I was hoping to get at least the pistion Duke for P3d, could not retrieve it from my old system which had crashed.  The Dukes were arguably the best aircraft I ever owned, great detail from visuals to flight dynamics which RealAir excelled in.

John

The FlySimWare Cessna C441 Conquest II looks an interesting beast. As it works in P3Dv4 I may take advantage of the weekends sale.
Does anyone know if it works with the Flight1 GNS 530? I saw mention of the 750 compatibility.

Tony Morel

PMDG will release the BAe Jetstream 4100 for P3D, apparently in the not too distant future ("in short order", to quote their Facebook post from earlier this week).

Peter

Yup, it's likely that PMDG's BAe J41 will be the best small turboprop you can get for P3D V4 when it comes out, which I assume is not going to be too far off since it was apparently the secret twin-engined project they'd been mentioning working on for quite a while. In the interim, the C441 for about 20 quid though is not gonna break the bank for a pretty decent aircraft, so it won't be too painful a wait, nor a long one it would seem. I'd guess at it being within the month.

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, Chock said:

For a single, the Just Flight Piper PA-28 Turbo Arrow III/IV is pretty good.

I agree it is great. But it's not a turbo in the sense of a tourbine powered prop airplane.

Its turbo is more like your backyard pick-up's turbo, a re-utilization of the exhaust gases into the cilinders.

Santiago de Larminat

True, it's not a gas turbine but it is a turbocharged prop aeroplane lol, so it's a good excuse to get it, as it is nevertheless pretty fast, and I assume that speed is why the OP wanted a turbine aeroplane. It's P3D V4 compatible at a time when the choice of decent P3D V4 compatible actual gas turbine aircraft is fairly limited, especially singles, so I thought I'd throw it in the list.

Alan Bradbury

3 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

PMDG will release the BAe Jetstream 4100 for P3D, apparently in the not too distant future ("in short order", to quote their Facebook post from earlier this week).

Peter

Great news...Thank you.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|