Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Is it my Fault? P3D v4, now terrible performance, solutions?

56 minutes ago, zmak said:

You said CPU running at 100%? go to task manager and click on processes and see what else is running in the background eating up your cpu

Yes and another good point. I pulled up task manager, and I do often have outlook email and firefox running during my simming, both take some usage.

But more to the point I have some 140 processes running all the time and I am not an expert on what to keep and what should be shut down or removed. I would guess this is an area I should focus and spend some time learning about.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Just now, 1st fltsimguy said:

Yes and another good point. I pulled up task manager, and I do often have outlook email and firefox running during my simming, both take some usage.

But more to the point I have some 140 processes running all the time and I am not an expert on what to keep and what should be shut down or removed. I would guess this is an area I should focus and spend some time learning about.

You can buy software called process laso. It will take care of all that when your gaming automatically. Simply brilliant

ZORAN

41 minutes ago, Slayer said:

some old addon not V4 compatible probably tanked your install. Don't try to shoehorn any oldies but goodies into the new sim install. 

think this is the most probable cause. I was very careful early on, and at the same time I started into XP11 and was building both at that same time, got somewhat careless and installed quite a few oldies without checking, breaking my own rule, install only one at a time and test. Also some were old planes without new installers and old sceneries without installers, and then of course I have no idea what files might have been installed outside of the base folders for planes and sceneries.

I will not do this again.

Bryan

Near CAM3

2 minutes ago, zmak said:

You can buy software called process laso. It will take care of all that when your gaming automatically. Simply brilliant

Not familiar with it.

I take it you use it...how many processes do you end up with running?

Near CAM3

7 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Not familiar with it.

I take it you use it...how many processes do you end up with running?

Im flying now and under "active processes" its only my flight sim stuff running. Everything else is shut down BUT without crashing your PC , it constantly monitors making small adjustments, you can still open programs and can surf the web, it just adds what you selected to "active process"

ZORAN

35 minutes ago, zmak said:

Im flying now and under "active processes" its only my flight sim stuff running. Everything else is shut down BUT without crashing your PC , it constantly monitors making small adjustments, you can still open programs and can surf the web, it just adds what you selected to "active process"

OK then, that sounds like to me I will head to their site and check out this software. Thanks for the heads up. I have never used anything like this before.

Near CAM3

21 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

OK then, that sounds like to me I will head to their site and check out this software. Thanks for the heads up. I have never used anything like this before.

It works straight out of the box . You dont need to do anything however its also highly configurable for gurus who want full control over their PC but I leave mine in default mode.

They have a free version but I went PRO which includes lifetime updates and the dev is very active

ZORAN

Bryan,

You asked: "Is it my fault?" 

The answer is obvious, just as your siblings, school teachers and bosses have always told you:

"Of Course!"

"It is always your fault!"

Just kidding...  :cool:

Hope it made you smile at least as you start over with the drudgery of re-installing... and then having to wait a really long time... re-installing...

Wait another really long time... re-installing... Waiting again, and again. and finally re-installing... What? Oh No!  

Waiting...

Kind regards,

Your encouraging friend,

20 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Bryan,

You asked: "Is it my fault?" 

The answer is obvious, just as your siblings, school teachers and bosses have always told you:

"Of Course!"

"It is always your fault!"

Just kidding...  :cool:

Hope it made you smile at least as you start over with the drudgery of re-installing... and then having to wait a really long time... re-installing...

Wait another really long time... re-installing... Waiting again, and again. and finally re-installing... What? Oh No!  

Waiting...

Kind regards,

Your encouraging friend,

You bugger Stephen, lol. I am into it now several hours.  One thing though, the Orbx Central is certainly paying off. I batch install stuff and then test them out. But even then it take a long time to install stuff.

No doubt my fault, a broke one of my own cardinal rules...install one thing, test it out. Then move on. Don't be in a hurry.

Bryan

Near CAM3

Have you tried Scenery Cfg. Editor?  It's a great free program that organizes your addon scenery, points out conflicts and sets priorities.

You can use it to turn off all of your addon airports to see if that might help solve your problem by turning them back on one at a time.

It works outside of P3Dv4, so you can organize scenery before starting the sim.  Just Google it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

You have been provided with lots of info here, I will add my 2c if I may.

2 words - Outlook email.

It is a momentary hog especially if you have it set to regularly check the server. Turn it off or send it somewhere else why you are flying (to your phone?). You were given about 12 different things to try in the preceding pages all of them can fix a specific problem and one or more may well fix yours. A couple of people mentioned starting at the beginning and that should be the point I believe where you ensure that everything you don't need whilst flying your sim is turned off or disabled.

I use both Outlook and Firefox and both can be a pain but without doubt Outlook can grab a core at the most inappropriate time.You can gaurantee it will be your first core (which your sim is hogging) if you have not set Outlook to use a specific core.

If you are careful/paranoid and want to have your antivirus on make sure v4 and its networked addons (eg Chaseplane) are all in the trusted folder and ensure the AV software is set to gaming mode so it doesn't interrupt  and go off and check files or update in the middle of your flight.

Have a printer/ scanner wirelessly/enet connected? shut it down or make sure it doesn't poll your PC for a handshake when you think it is asleep.

Without doubt the simplest and most effective monitor program (IMO) you can put on your machine is Microsoft Process Explorer. Its free and will tell you in detail and charts what your CPU, GPU, memory, HDD and network + are doing in real time. It will also allow you to kill processes you dont need. I use it to quieten my PC down with before I turn v4 on. If you are fortunate to ahve more than one monitor connected you can run it and see what the sim is doing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I am sure you have checked these things and many others in your search for a smooth sim. If you still have problems then a clean and reinstall with default settings (as advised earlier by others) is no doubt the major step to be taken, and work up from there, though you will at least know at the start nothing else is jeopardising your sims use of the CPU.

good luck with the rebuild I am sure your effort will pay off in enjoyable simming.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

On 2017. 9. 8. at 10:56 AM, 1st fltsimguy said:

My P3Dv4 was smooth as silk and I was following my own instructions, go slow, add one thing at a time. Everything was great. Orbx Global, all regions, a hundred Orbx airports, Vector, OpenLC...still going strong, smooth as silk. Started adding planes, so far so good.

Loaded up V4 and still it was great. Then sort of went a bit wild, added REX4+Soft Clouds (the new hot patch), added my new Turbulent Designs, added loads of Norway freeware, yup still good but noticed a few stutters, added more planes and started experimentation with older installers on planes. I have my setting set appropriately for my machine and it was working great. Made no changes to settings. I have no tweaks in my CFG.

Spent three weeks building up and learning XP11, not touching P3DV4.

Last night and this morning I load up P3DV4, its a mess. Stuttering, pausing. What the heck?

I notice that my CPU reading, even after a clean reboot, is 100% when flying P3Dv4. I also notice that there is fluctuation in CPU slightly and it corresponds to my frames jumping all over the place, one second 6, then 30 back to 14 then back to 27, all of which are causing stutters and pauses.

So, now what! This had become unflyable!

1. I could start uninstalling addons in reverse order to see if its one of those.

2. I could delete shaders and let rebuild and see if that works.

3. I could reinstall P3Dv4 client, then go further.

4. I could start all over again, and not mess with old installers etc.

Gees this is a painful situation, more time messing than flying.

Advice, recommendations welcome!!

Bryan

I had the same issues.  I have core i5 with 16GB ram with GTX 960 4gb 

when I fly with v4, with default scenery and no addons, I get perfectly 60fps. 

However, if I add over 5 custom sceneries, it starts to get very lagging, and when I add AI aircraft, v4 loads little slower than before was.

I read couple of issues that if 3rd party software are not careful with what they are making, eventhough it supports , it still show performance drop, no matter, 

what kind of system hardware you have.  

1. Just uninstall everything including v4. Uninstall everything, or if you can, make a fresh recovery backup windows. 

2.  eventhough you delete cfg files, somehow some addon files will remain in your system. I found that it won't completely remove by uninstall. The best way is to do fresh install windows

yeah..in above case, I think the only solution to get solve your problem is option "4".   

I have installed custom 10 sceneries over v3 and it was lagging as well.   

12 hours ago, Uteman said:

You have been provided with lots of info here, I will add my 2c if I may.

2 words - Outlook email.

It is a momentary hog especially if you have it set to regularly check the server. Turn it off or send it somewhere else why you are flying (to your phone?). You were given about 12 different things to try in the preceding pages all of them can fix a specific problem and one or more may well fix yours. A couple of people mentioned starting at the beginning and that should be the point I believe where you ensure that everything you don't need whilst flying your sim is turned off or disabled.

I use both Outlook and Firefox and both can be a pain but without doubt Outlook can grab a core at the most inappropriate time.You can guarantee it will be your first core (which your sim is hogging) if you have not set Outlook to use a specific core.

If you are careful/paranoid and want to have your antivirus on make sure v4 and its networked addons (eg Chaseplane) are all in the trusted folder and ensure the AV software is set to gaming mode so it doesn't interrupt  and go off and check files or update in the middle of your flight.

Have a printer/ scanner wirelessly/enet connected? shut it down or make sure it doesn't poll your PC for a handshake when you think it is asleep.

Without doubt the simplest and most effective monitor program (IMO) you can put on your machine is Microsoft Process Explorer. Its free and will tell you in detail and charts what your CPU, GPU, memory, HDD and network + are doing in real time. It will also allow you to kill processes you dont need. I use it to quieten my PC down with before I turn v4 on. If you are fortunate to ahve more than one monitor connected you can run it and see what the sim is doing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I am sure you have checked these things and many others in your search for a smooth sim. If you still have problems then a clean and reinstall with default settings (as advised earlier by others) is no doubt the major step to be taken, and work up from there, though you will at least know at the start nothing else is jeopardising your sims use of the CPU.

good luck with the rebuild I am sure your effort will pay off in enjoyable simming.

Good advice.

I used to have the Process Explorer but when I had this new machine built it was so robust I didn't really think about this.

Anyway, new sim, more everything just leads one down the garden path, its like a big empty garage, in no time its filled with junk.

I have chosen the complete uninstall, clean the registry and such and reinstall. Everything is going well again, 50% of my Orbx stuff done. I will take a look a the process explorer again, helpful tool. And I will follow my own advice, one addon at a time, check out everything be sure its working.

I really suspect it was my flippant disregard and trying old installers and I have some incompatible files or conflicts of some sort.

My Global, Vector, Regions all installed I'm running  50-80 frames with slider way to the right back where I was some time back.

I will now look more at processes and shut stuff off or delete some of the garbage I've accumulated for sure.

Bryan

Near CAM3

10 hours ago, flyalways said:

I had the same issues.  I have core i5 with 16GB ram with GTX 960 4gb 

when I fly with v4, with default scenery and no addons, I get perfectly 60fps. 

However, if I add over 5 custom sceneries, it starts to get very lagging, and when I add AI aircraft, v4 loads little slower than before was.

I read couple of issues that if 3rd party software are not careful with what they are making, eventhough it supports , it still show performance drop, no matter, 

what kind of system hardware you have.  

1. Just uninstall everything including v4. Uninstall everything, or if you can, make a fresh recovery backup windows. 

2.  eventhough you delete cfg files, somehow some addon files will remain in your system. I found that it won't completely remove by uninstall. The best way is to do fresh install windows

yeah..in above case, I think the only solution to get solve your problem is option "4".   

I have installed custom 10 sceneries over v3 and it was lagging as well.   

I posted my hardware earlier

I7-6700K  4.2GHZ overclocked
GTX 970 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5
RAM 16G DDR4 2133MHZ
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4  CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard

See my post just above I mention where I think I went wrong.

And I have opted for an uninstall, complete cleaning and reinstall of P3Dv4, I will not do the windows itself, I don't think that is needed.

So far as noted above its going well again, and smooth as silk again.

Yippee!

Bryan

Near CAM3

Hello Simmers,

Stutters??

Try changing advance systems settings and enable prority to background services instead of programs.

works for me.

Hope it helps.

asato.

HP6300 i7 3770 8 GB AMD RX 270