Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Conspiracy Time

Has anyone considered that DTG may be buying the licenses to DLC, for sale in Steam directly from the dev?

It's genius when you think of it. 

Flight 1, Orbx, and Aerosoft use a similar model now. And DTG already bought Orbx, A2A, and others licenses for the core sim. A dev makes a good airport, DTG buy it for $20k, they sell 5000 copies at $9.99 and even after the Steam cut they made profit. Rinse and repeat.

Also, look at the price of the Arrow III on Steam and on the JF store. It's CHEAPER on Steam! Suspicious. 

Of course this would likely not be applicable to all addons until 3pds are proven in the market. That way we don't have EZDOK repeats where the dev runs off after turning a profit. 

Last, this would also be nice for some smaller devs as they get paid upfront and can fund their next project without having to worry for piracy, download/install support, marketing etc. 

Conspiracy indeed. But a new way of driving quality to your masses. Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

1 hour ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Also, look at the price of the Arrow III on Steam and on the JF store. It's CHEAPER on Steam! Suspicious.

I agree it may look suspicious, but I think this is simply a large retailer with a global market offering a discount just like the Supermarkets do. The manufacturer or producer takes the cut in order to sell more product than they ever could elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Except that it isn't cheaper, it is exactly the same price on Steam as it is on the Just Flight Website, i.e. 27.99 Sterling.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

19 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Yeah I was about to post that, what are we missing that makes you think it is cheaper?

chris

Well, at least that does make it like all other conspiracy theories lol, I.e. based on a fallacy. Now, about those chemtrails....

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Dovetail and Steam assume all support for the products they sell, no matter who develops them. This allows a developer to greatly discount an individual license to them for resell.

At some other forums that have active developers, this has been discussed.

There are good and bad aspects to this business model but for the developer to avoid support costs is a huge economic incentive to use Steam as a distribution method.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Except that it isn't cheaper, it is exactly the same price on Steam as it is on the Just Flight Website, i.e. 27.99 Sterling.

I trade in USD and it is significantly higher on the JF store. Maybe you are looking at the pre conversion prices? 

1 hour ago, Torg Smith said:

The price on their site lists at $42 and on Steam it lists as $35.

I bought the plane and like it.

Correct, it is $41.99 USD, just as their other Piper products are, on the JF store and $34.99 on Steam. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

It could be a VAT thing. Their site might have a VAT tax applied to everybody and Steam can handle the removal of VAT for non-European countries.

Yes it will be to do with vat. $35 +20% = $42.

VAT has to be included in a sale price in the eu. Do you not pay tax at checkout on steam in the US?

Chris

3 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Yes it will be to do with vat. $35 +20% = $42.

VAT has to be included in a sale price in the eu. Do you not pay tax at checkout on steam in the US?

Chris

No, it costs 35 dollars.

Wait. Here in the Philippines,on steam, it is Php 869.95 equivalent to around 17 dollars. What is happening?

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

I am confused, is that not a US dollar sign? Or are you saying it is, but you have to pay a tax in that country, even if you shop from the US on their site? So if I bought it living in the US it would $41,99 for me to buy, versus Steam $34,99?

2017-09-09_2221

Ohh Ohh I just put up a screen shot, now I am going to be banished to the screen shot area :)

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

1 hour ago, snapshot21 said:

Wait. Here in the Philippines,on steam, it is Php 869.95 equivalent to around 17 dollars. What is happening?

Steam has regionalized prices. These are the prices around the world, as you can see in Russia you will pay 10 dollars:

lhnkptP.png

This is why I love steam, they try not to punish people living in countries with weak currencies.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, ca_metal said:

This is why I love steam, they try not to punish people living in countries with weak currencies.

Some of the countries in that list with the big discounts could hardly be described as being weak! As usual with anything computer-related (and particularly with Steam, it would appear), the UK and Europe suffer the most - very puzzling.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit