Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Help me identify this sound

Okay, so this thing has actually been bothering me for a very long time but I've never attempted to do anything about it, because I've absolutely no idea how I would identify the source responsible. It's also not related to the airport, as I've heard the exact same sound at many of the airports I've landed at. Payware, freeware, think I've even heard it at default airports. 

Here's an example; https://streamable.com/o6j9u -- It's that loud, 'engine idle' sort-of sound that can be heard through everything. Even in the cockpit you have the same droning engine sound constantly. It stops when you turn down the "Environment" sounds in P3D but that also kills weather sounds etc. which obviously isn't optimal. I do want those sounds.

Got quite an extensive addon list, so any one of those could also be responsible. Maybe a sound from the Global AI Ship pack? Maybe it's part of the REX Texture Direct sounds? I don't know. I would just love, love, love to find the audio file responsible and give it a royal kick off the harddrive at this point.

So has anyone heard it or know the source? 

Thanks

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Interesting, I've noticed that sound, but I'll next time I'm in the sim.

Sounds a bit like a GPU idling.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Sounds like the pitter patter of rain.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Sounds like an AI aircraft  is starting up. As you pan around, when it gets louder, look in that direction.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You could go to your sound(s) folder and play each .wav.

5 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Here's an example; https://streamable.com/o6j9u -- It's that loud, 'engine idle' sort-of sound that can be heard through everything.

Not sure either, just hear the rain.

BTW, watched the video and was curious what airport that was in the video?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

After some digging, I discovered it was part of Global AI Ship Traffic's sounds. Apparently there's some bugs in their config that means sounds just travel for miles. So I made a silent .wav for all 3 files, kkgasturb.wav, kkskogoy1.wav and kutterlyd1.wav and can finally enjoy the atmosphere sounds of everything else. So thank you all for the replies. 

22 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

BTW, watched the video and was curious what airport that was in the video?

That's LatinVFR's Key West V2. Figured I needed a good vantage point to see Irma rolling in :)

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

9 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

After some digging, I discovered it was part of Global AI Ship Traffic's sounds. Apparently there's some bugs in their config that means sounds just travel for miles. So I made a silent .wav for all 3 files, kkgasturb.wav, kkskogoy1.wav and kutterlyd1.wav and can finally enjoy the atmosphere sounds of everything else. So thank you all for the replies. 

That's LatinVFR's Key West V2. Figured I needed a good vantage point to see Irma rolling on :)

Thanks. Glad you got it figured out.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator