Sign in to follow this  
mikebxb

Flying Irma

21 minutes ago, scianoir said:

I agree, I am using AS16 and the RW radar images match up very well with what I can see in the X gauge. I have flown into the eye a few times in the past few days using a CS C-130 to simulate 'Hurricane Hunter' flights and certainly the abrupt drop in wind strength within the eye seems very well modelled.  I did however notice that the winds never seemed to exceed 99kts even within the eye wall although they should have been significantly higher and wondered if this was an AS16 limit? 

Bill

Must be a limit I would presume.  Anything over 100 mph breaks the instruments at times.  I've seen that before in FSX days.

6 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Must be a limit I would presume.  Anything over 100 mph breaks the instruments at times.  I've seen that before in FSX days.

As I'm still flying FSX, you're probably correct!

Bill

53 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I was seeing the same thing in the PMDG 737. Wind woundn't go above 99 mph when airborne and sitting at the gate I was getting fluctuations in the airspeed with engines off and config warnings with flaps up along with 80 knots call outs. Taxi was almost impossible at times and it would throw the plane left or right and sometimes I couldn't get it to move when advancing the throttles. Also while airborne I always got pressuratuon failure in auto every time I took off. Anyone else see the same issues?

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Is this seriously an attempt to complain about sim physics while trying to taxi and fly a commercial airliner in a simulated hurricane?  Pmdg makes great sims, hi-fi makes a great weather program.  A hurricane is outside the normal envelope of flight conditions.  737's dont fly in hurricanes, and because they don't fly in hurricanes, there's not a wealth of aircraft data available about how 737's handle hurricane conditions for pmdg to base their modeling on.  That said, a lot of things you describe are things I would expect to see if I were trying to taxi and fly a 737 in a hurricane,  the pitot tubes would give the aircraft all sorts of strange readings.

I can get the fascination with trying a sim out in these conditions,  it's fun, but claiming these are "issues" seems strange.

10 hours ago, ShawnG said:

Is this seriously an attempt to complain about sim physics while trying to taxi and fly a commercial airliner in a simulated hurricane?  Pmdg makes great sims, hi-fi makes a great weather program.  A hurricane is outside the normal envelope of flight conditions.  737's dont fly in hurricanes, and because they don't fly in hurricanes, there's not a wealth of aircraft data available about how 737's handle hurricane conditions for pmdg to base their modeling on.  That said, a lot of things you describe are things I would expect to see if I were trying to taxi and fly a 737 in a hurricane,  the pitot tubes would give the aircraft all sorts of strange readings.

I can get the fascination with trying a sim out in these conditions,  it's fun, but claiming these are "issues" seems strange.

I don't see anyone complaining but merely reporting there findings and how the plane reacts in the hurricane conditions and checking with others. I know that wind speeds effect the pitot/airspeed and that the barometric pressures from the storms will effect the pressurization of the 737. I was making sure I didn't have some crazy settings in ASP4 was my main concern because on a normal flight with thunderstorms ASP4 settings too high can cause unrealistic effects. The only other thing I saw was the windspeed didn't go above 99 so I was wondering if that is a set parameter in the coding or a setting in ASP4. And yes we know the 737 does not fly in hurricanes but when you only have so many options in v4 you fly what you have available. 

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:54 AM, Wise87 said:

I was seeing the same thing in the PMDG 737. Wind woundn't go above 99 mph when airborne and sitting at the gate I was getting fluctuations in the airspeed with engines off and config warnings with flaps up along with 80 knots call outs. Taxi was almost impossible at times and it would throw the plane left or right and sometimes I couldn't get it to move when advancing the throttles. Also while airborne I always got pressuratuon failure in auto every time I took off. Anyone else see the same issues?

I didn't attempt a take off within the hurricane as both the missions I simulated involved taking off outside the hurricane zone and flying into it and eventually finding the eye. I couldn't however resist the temptation to try a landing in hurricane conditions but both attempts not surprisingly ended in disaster with a sudden stall in from around 1500ft due to severe wind shear from which I failed to recover. On checking my AS16 configuration settings I had set the maximum level of wind shear well above the default setting which probably didn't help but clearly wind shear is very well simulated in AS16! As far as wind speed is concerned, on my setup I didn't realise that I had left the Maximum Surface Wind in the AS16 settings at the default value of 100kts which might explain why I didn't see the wind rise above 99kts.

With regard to ShawnG's post, I don't think any of us were complaining about simphysics, HiFi Tech (Active Sky is an amazing weather engine) or anything else. We were simply making some observations on what might happen when you try to simulate flight within the extreme weather conditions encountered in a hurricane! We all know that aircraft would not attempt to take off or land in these conditions in the real world but in the flight simulation world some of us enjoy severe weather challenges and a hurricane scenario allows us to take weather challenges to the extreme.

Bill

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scianoir said:

As far as wind speed is concerned, on my setup I didn't realise that I had left the Maximum Surface Wind in the AS16 settings at the default value of 100kts which might explain why I didn't see the wind rise above 99kts.

I don't think this would have solved anything, as I had mine set to the maximum of 200 knots and still didn't see the winds go any higher than 99 knots. Somebody said in another post that the instruments taking the wind reading don't go higher than that. I, of course, have no way of verifying the validity of that claim, but I guess it is possible.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

7 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I don't think this would have solved anything, as I had mine set to the maximum of 200 knots and still didn't see the winds go any higher than 99 knots. Somebody said in another post that the instruments taking the wind reading don't go higher than that. I, of course, have no way of verifying the validity of that claim, but I guess it is possible.

the FSX red text menu cannot display higher than 99 but if you use a plane with a display that shows the winds you can see that it goes higher than that.

it's also slightly confusing because if you make custom weather in activesky it won't let you set a speed higher than 99 either for surface wind for some reason. (well, i can think of a good reason which is that you'd never actually take off or land in that i guess haha!)   but you can set if higher for the other wind zones.

i know when i flew through the hurricane i was seeing winds up to 150 or 160, pretty crazy!

here is an example where i set 130 for the winds you can see that the FSX measurement is capped but it shows 130 on the 737 display

2I9ipfl.jpg

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, spesimen said:

the FSX red text menu cannot display higher than 99 but if you use a plane with a display that shows the winds you can see that it goes higher than that.

it's also slightly confusing because if you make custom weather in activesky it won't let you set a speed higher than 99 either for surface wind for some reason. (well, i can think of a good reason which is that you'd never actually take off or land in that i guess haha!)   but you can set if higher for the other wind zones.

i know when i flew through the hurricane i was seeing winds up to 150 or 160, pretty crazy!

here is an example where i set 130 for the winds you can see that the FSX measurement is capped but it shows 130 on the 737 display

2I9ipfl.jpg

cheers,-andy crosby

I was flying the PMDG Boeing 747-400, and it wasn't showing any higher than 99 knots. I have the surface winds capped at 200 knots. It's weird because I know in the past, I've seen the winds display over 100 knots before.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Rather than creating a new thread for Hurricane Florence, I thought that I'd just bump this one. I just flew into the eye of Florence with P3d4 and ASN and the wave conditions were pretty realistic. Try it yourself and compare it to the live cam from the Frying Pan Shoals platform, which is presently within the hurricane: