Sign in to follow this  
ricktana

PA-28R Altimeter Setting

I bought the Just Flight PA-28R and I am thoroughly enjoying it in FSW.  I do however have a problem regarding the Altimeter Setting baro dial.  The altimeter dial on the US registered liveries are calibrated in mb/(hPA) rather than in in/hg.  I can understand non US registered liveries being this way but it would be nice if there were an option to choose which type of altimeter is installed in the aircraft.  The Operations Manual states that the barometric pressure scale is provided for hPa/mb. The pressure setting knob tooltip displays the currently selected pressure in hPa/mb or inHG, depending on which unit of measurement is currently active in the simulator settings.  All I can read by hovering my mouse over the baro knob is the pressure altitude, not the baro setting in in/hg..  This makes it difficult flying in the US where ATIS and ATC altitude readings are given in in/hg.

Rick Senecal

Rick Senecal

PC Intel i7 4770K Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz; Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force; 16 Gb DDR3 - GeForce GTX 1080 8 Gb; Dedicated SSD 512 Gb; ASUS PB278Q 2560 X 1440; Win 7 64 bit

11 hours ago, ricktana said:

The Operations Manual states that the barometric pressure scale is provided for hPa/mb. The pressure setting knob tooltip displays the currently selected pressure in hPa/mb or inHG, depending on which unit of measurement is currently active in the simulator settings.

This is a very good point, which has only come to light now because all the default aircraft's Altimeters show both mb and inHG in the smaller dials at 9 and 3 o'clock:

y4mhPN7mgYMK806y7jMbi306icOIOAFQjKkmpMLs

I think this feature of the Arrow III will be inoperable until FSW is developed further to include real weather.

The Arrow III altimeter (and the rest of the cockpit) are based 100% on our research aircraft - G-BGKU. That altimeter only has a hPa/mb scale. The tooltip works correctly in FSX/P3D but it sounds like the FSW tooltip is broken. We'll look into it.

Thanks

Martyn - Just Flight

• Upvote 1

Martyn - Just Flight

I think some artistic license should be applied in cases like this. Most add on aircraft will be used globally by simmers and have various paints done for all over the world. I know it is faithful to the real one and all these aircraft have different switches and switch positions but I feel all flight sims developers should allow for things like regional use.

The tool tip is not a solution, it is a work around and some of us don’t even use tool tips. It isn’t just Just Flight - a2a and others do it too. It is usually the other way round, you get stuck with inches instead of hpa! If you are going to have registrations in other countries available then just put both scales on the altimeter. Most people won’t know or care that a particular registration is missing a scale or avionics switch.

Chris

I've always have Aerosoft's Flight Calculator to hand for anything like that. It's well worth the price. Comes in handy for sticking KG fuel weights into an FMC instead of lbs and converting altitudes to meters for Eastern Europe etc, but it will also do loads of other stuff including converting millibars to inches of mercury, and it's great for nav calculations too. Takes two seconds to use it and it will sit on top of P3D and FSW, so it's far more like the real world anyway, where I'd use something similar:

qLYjZfm.jpg

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yup, the one thing you can say about a good old E6B is that it never conks out with a flat battery when you really need it, and if you have a metal one like I have, it makes a good tin lid opener as well. And of course people think you are a 'proper pilot' when they see you use one of them. :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here