Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

Suggestions, improvments and ideas for FSW future

Hi everyone,

I'd like to create this thread in order to regroup all the ideas this community has to improve FSW so DTG devlopment team can see all our expectations on one page.
Having a team listening to the Flight Sim Community for creating the perfect sim is rare so I hope this thread will be useful for all of us.

In order to keep this readable, your posts can contain 2 categories: 
- small improvments that could be implemented rapidly
- big and long-term improvments (real world weather etc...)

Please dont comment or discuss too much, keep it simple and readable, give your ideas that's all. Let DTG Team judge what is worth it and what can be done or not.

I'll start:

Short ones : 
_rain sound could be louder to feel and fear the elements :) (or be adjustable, the environment slider is currently not that efficient)
_make a " visual smoke effect" if you look at the wings from the cockpit when flying through clouds to simulate the plane is REALLY in it.
_make ATC speak faster like in real life
_ Head anticipation in turns when taxi and flying (like in XP Realistic addon)

Big ones : 
_ a "FSPassengers like" feature whith passengers screaming in turbulence (make us avoid the clouds)
_Windows Voice Recognition for ATC would be awesome like in Tower3DPro
_ ATC speaking with accents depending on which continent or country we fly

• Upvote 1

Probably a big ask, but the undulating runways in XPlane 11 are one of its best features. I would not expect every default runway to be correct, but I would hope for support for that feature to be available for developing add-on sceneries.

I think some more GUI sliders for graphic and audio options would be nice and to be honest I'm expecting those to show up in the final release.

I'd like to see the thunderstorms rendered more scarily, it's really pretty frightening being in a thunderstorm in a small aircraft, and it is dangerous too if a GRP one gets struck and it has foam cored wings, they can actually explode as the moisture in the foam core expands. I know someone who had that occur when flying a GRP glider; they didn't even have to bail out because the entire airframe disintegrated, perforating the guy's eardrum in the process, all he had to do was pull his ripcord because one second he was sat in a glider and the next second he was falling through the air surrounded by what was left of the aeroplane. The other guy in the glider with him broke his leg when he landed on a garage roof. As the saying goes, it's better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than being up there wishing you were on the ground, I know that from personal experience of flying in a thunderstorm in a GRP glider too once, and I was too low to bail out as well! Make the weather scary, because it really can be.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

but the undulating runways in XPlane 11 are one of its best features.

Why? Most runways in the real world don't slope or undulate significantly anyway and you spend so little time on them (if you're doing it right). Also, from what I've read, X-Plane AI doesn't react well to the slope anyway. Personally, I'd put sloping runways near the bottom of the list.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Why? Most runways in the real world don't slope or undulate significantly anyway and you spend so little time on them (if you're doing it right).

They do here in the UK! The one in my avatar is Birmingham, UK, which isn't even noted for it's hills...

20 minutes ago, A32xx said:

They do here in the UK! The one in my avatar is Birmingham, UK, which isn't even noted for it's hills...

I'm in the UK. I did say "most" and "significantly" - there are always exceptions to the rule. Most pictures of runways compress a very long strip (2.6 Km for EGBB) into a small space so even fairly gentle slopes look exaggerated.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

There is a setting in the FMC of most airliners for the runway slope and it is marked on charts because it has a bearing on the thrust settings required. The fact that it isn't modeled in FSX and P3D doesn't mean it isn't important, it means those sims are not as realistic as they could be.

Some airport runways are always used in only one direction regardless of the wind because of a significant slope and the surrounding terrain, so you'd always land uphill to assist with braking, thus it is an important factor at some airports, even critical in some cases. It can have a significant affect on braking distances on grass runways too, where too much braking will cause aquaplaning but landing uphill will rapidly bring one to a halt, this is also a consideration of you ever have to land in a field incidentally, where if you can find somewhere to land a bit uphill, it's a good idea. I've done that several times in gliders when landing out.

At Tenzing-Hillary Airport (Lukla) VNLK, there is an 11.7 degree gradient on the runway; all takeoffs from VNLK are done to the west (downhill) because there is a 15,000 foot mountain in the other direction right at the end of the runway, but landings are always done toward the East because you touchdown and roll out going uphill, so it slows the aircraft quickly. This is true for quite a few airports around the world with significant terrain near the runway, with take-offs and landing always done the same ways regardless of wind, even if in many cases it results in taking off with a tailwind. This makes sense, but not in FSX and P3D if the runways are not modeling those slopes and undulations.

And if you've ever landed long at Husbands Bosworth coming in from the East and had a significant ground speed because of that as you got about two thirds of the way along the field, you'd not be saying the bump you go over which is there was insignificant (I think it was some kind of old drainage ditch which was filled in, badly) because your @rse doesn't half know about it when you cross it in a little GA aeroplane at speed. I thought I'd ripped the undercarriage off the first time I went over that thing rolling out from a landing and vowed never to land long at that place ever again lol.

Or try taking off from Duxford's grass strip in a taildragger biplane and tell me that place doesn't have any significant bumps on it as you whizz across it bouncing up and down with your teeth rattling and the flying wires on the wings twanging about all over the shop.

Alan Bradbury

There are definitely runways with a significant slope but they are few and far between. The ICAO regulation for longitudinal slopes of runways states:

(a) The slope computed by dividing the difference between the maximum and minimum elevation along the runway centre line by the runway length should not exceed:

(1) 1% where the code number is 3 (1200m-1800m) or 4 (1800m and over); and

(b) Along no portion of a runway should the longitudinal slope exceed:

(1) 1.25% where the code number is 4, except that for the first and last quarter of the length of the runway the longitudinal slope should not exceed 0.8%

So some runways obviously need exemptions from the regulation but most should fall within these limits.

Yes, runways  should and usually do fall within those regs for the overall slope, but that doesn't mean they are flat. It certainly does have a bearing on landings and take-offs when runways undulate, and many runways do undulate quite a bit given that they are built over a two mile stretch of land. Manchester Airport EGCC for example, which is my nearest local airport, has quite a significant hump on 23R slap bang in the middle of it; you can quite easily perceive it when you are on finals. That hump can and does launch aircraft into the air prior to them reaching their ideal take off speed sometimes, it also contributes to whether landings are hard or soft on occasion, since if you land on a down sloped section you get a smooth touchdown and a heavy touchdown if you land on an upsloped section. Moreover, it can make the runway ahead disappear when on the upslope to that hump, and at night when you can't see the edges of the runway and are reliant on the lighting ahead to track the centreline, and indeed see how much runway you have remaining, it can be disconcerting. 

Now, I'm not suggesting it's a dealbreaker if a flight simulator does not feature this, but we are talking about suggestions for a next generation simulator here, in a flight sim where DTG have stated that they are hoping to move things on a bit, which they certainly have done with weather depiction and facilitating tutorials, so maybe they can move it on a bit with the more subtle aspects of ground handling too. And if it is possible for XPlane to have this feature, it certainly should be possible for other flight sims to have it too.

Anyway, back onto other suggestions, I'd like to see the runway surface visually and physically degrade in different weather conditions, i.e. with reduced friction in the wet and standing water potentially causing aquaplaning. This sort of thing was available with the old TSR Autobrake add-on for FS, so it certainly can be done, and FS certainly has had wet apron and runway visual effects in the past.

Alan Bradbury

Would love to have PCL or ARCAL working ..by default... 

there should be at least a simple controller mode to be used when in multiplayer. 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Get a REAL flight planner! The current iteration is a PITA! I've read the quick guide and the FP won't respond to my double clicks to create a multi stop plan. Geez....Looks like I've bought another PIG in a poke.