Sign in to follow this  
VFRHawk

Airport Charts

Not heard of that one Jeroen - I update every month with Herve Sors (sp) navaids pack?  Does aerodata do something else?

Graham

Well, I haven't tried any of this myself yet but take a look at for instance the topic below. Herve's package only updates parts while FSAerodata updates a lot more. SIDS, STARs, approaches, airspaces, comm freqs, ICAO identifiers, etc. https://www.fsaerodata.com/ As a bonus FSAerodata's SIDs and STARs and approaches (something Herve doesn't offer) also become available in the default P3D GPS. Besides, Herve's update seems to breaks certain things and it doesn't cover the entire world with all its updates. It definitely isn't the same. 

31 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, I haven't tried any of this myself yet but take a look at for instance the topic below. Herve's package only updates parts while FSAerodata updates a lot more. SIDS, STARs, approaches, airspaces, comm freqs, ICAO identifiers, etc. https://www.fsaerodata.com/ As a bonus FSAerodata's SIDs and STARs and approaches (something Herve doesn't offer) also become available in the default P3D GPS. Besides, Herve's update seems to breaks certain things and it doesn't cover the entire world with all its updates. It definitely isn't the same. 

So it needs a subscription to Navigraph's FMS data? That's about $30 a year. Not bad with about $25 additionally (19.95 euros) for 1 year with fsaerodata subscription. Is that about right?

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

11 hours ago, J van E said:

Cheers Jeroen, I'll check that out.

Graham

What I used before was an addon called PDF Kneeboard, it was loaded into the actual sim and you can call it up anytime you need. No need to TAB out or use a seperate app, it was basically a PDF reader/viewer that you can use to view your charts, flight plans, etc. And it stayed above your main flightsim window always, and you can easily hide it if needed. I have made numerous requests on the flightsim community to see if anyone can port the old 32bit code to make it work with P3D v4. Last I've heard were there a couple of guys interested in doing it but I'm not sure of the progress as I haven't kept track.

Besides that the most immersive or elegant solution would be to use FSTramp. I use this to navigate around airport and it is awesome. No need to tab out or load another app. It also loads as a plugin and interfaces directly into P3D as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

Besides that the most immersive or elegant solution would be to use FSTramp. I use this to navigate around airport and it is awesome. No need to tab out or load another app. It also loads as a plugin and interfaces directly into P3D as well.

Now that looks like it might be a good solution!  When it's displaying the airport, is it reading it from the sim or Navigraph/Jeppeson real world data?

OK, so I've downloaded and installed FSTramp, just used it for a short hop from Palma to Valencia.  Like the solution overall.

Only problem I have is that whilst it shows the airport parking spots (and they're the in game ones, not real world which is good), it doesn't seem to label them, so you still can't tell which one you need to taxi to without either tabbing out to to Pro ATC or using a followme car.

Does anyone know if there's a way of getting the parking spots labelled in FSTramp?  I looked but couldn't see an option.

Graham

19 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

So it needs a subscription to Navigraph's FMS data? That's about $30 a year. Not bad with about $25 additionally (19.95 euros) for 1 year with fsaerodata subscription. Is that about right?

Think so. If you don't need the charts this should do the trick. But again, I haven't purchased anything myself yet.

Should anyone else be interested, I reached out to the FSTramp developers asking about getting the parking positions labelled in the app and got the following reply:

"the number is so small and therefore does not exist. Use a different method.

Use the Search window and find this airfield. Select the correct parking position in this window and at the same time this position will be marked red in the world map."

I've now done a couple of flights using this method and it works well, so I've just bought a 2 year licence for FSTramp.

Graham