Sign in to follow this  
Acerazus

Takes a long time for textures to load in

First off, I apologise if this is posted in the wrong topic.

I noticed that when I switch views, for example, from the cockpit to wing view, the plane is grey. After 10-15 seconds the textures fully load, showing the plane in all its glory. When I switch back from the plane view to the cockpit, again, the cockpit is fully grey and the textures don't load until 10-15 seconds later. It's really annoying and I'm wondering whether it's to do with my hard drive. If I was to invest in an SSD, would the textures load instantly, or is it a graphics card issue?

Many thanks

Adding the SSD would not help in texture loading..  What is your System specs. primarily the CPU speed and Graphics card?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Adding the SSD would not help in texture loading..  What is your System specs. primarily the CPU speed and Graphics card?

I have an i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20Ghz with GeForce GTX 650 Ti. I also have 8Gb of DDR3 RAM

I have a very slow CPU at 2.0 GHZ and I see the same thing, especially when using a great quality

aircraft like the C-47 Ver.3 or similar aircraft.  The best thing I can think of is to make sure you

have nothing else running in the background like your browser, antivirus scans, etc.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Under Graphics in the FSX.cfg, do you have the highmemfix=1 fix?

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

8 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

Surprising enough, I don't! I thought it was already installed but I'll have to do it later as I'm currently flying from Denver to Heathrow in the PMDG. Thanks for the advice though.

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

Good idea!  Would have thought that FSX-SE would have put that in there to begin with.  Will file

that into my infinitely indexed memory bank.

Charlie Aron

Apologize as I forgot this topic was about FSX-SE.  The fix is not needed in FSX-SE:

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Apologize as I forgot this topic was about FSX-SE.  The fix is not needed in FSX-SE:

Ah well then, I guess it could be something to do with my graphics card? I have overclocked it many times (which resulted in several crashes to my pc possibly causing potential damage to my graphics card).

9 minutes ago, Acerazus said:

Ah well then, I guess it could be something to do with my graphics card? I have overclocked it many times (which resulted in several crashes to my pc possibly causing potential damage to my graphics card).

I'd lean more towards CPU than Graphics card at this point.  You never mentioned what aircraft you are in.  Default, 3rd party freeware, payware?  Any problems with rendering the scenery, airports, AI traffic?

OK, sorry!  Forgot you mentioned the PMDG!

Charlie Aron

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

I'd lean more towards CPU than Graphics card at this point.  You never mentioned what aircraft you are

in.  Default, 3rd party freeware, payware?  Any problems with rendering the scenery?

Well, I am currently flying a British Airways PMDG 747-400 from Denver to London Heathrow. I used freeware scenery for Denver but I have payware scenery for Heathrow. I also use Orbx FTX Global. Loading the scenery is no problem but loading in the aircraft is not the same.

Overclocking a graphics card is not recommended plus, even if you could OC it, you would see periodic stability issues and it really is not going to give you much of a performance boost.  Not in this game.  P3DV4 is doing much better with OC'd (by the Manufacturer) graphics cards. 

If you look at my recommended settings in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide, you will see the recommended Nvidia Inspector settings.  The setting that will bring your graphics card down is the AA-Transparency SS setting higher than 2x Sparse Grid SS.  You will see some shimmering but it is better than going to 4x's or 8x's.  I hardly notice any shimmering.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Here comes my dumb question for the weekend........Are you flying FSX online now through Steam?

Have you run it offline and experienced the same situation?

Charlie Aron

1 minute ago, charliearon said:

Here comes my dumb question for the weekend........Are you flying FSX online now through Steam?

Have you run it offline and experienced the same situation?

I don't find it dumb. I'm flying on FSX:SE right now on VATSIM. Yes, it's launched via Steam but I haven't tried it yet when I'm offline.

12 minutes ago, Acerazus said:

I don't find it dumb. I'm flying on FSX:SE right now on VATSIM. Yes, it's launched via Steam but I haven't tried it yet when I'm offline.

You may find that it performs better when your browser isn't stealing CPU cycles.

Charlie Aron