Sign in to follow this  
Mike Berger

Question about the piper arrow

It's not as if JF don't know how to do shadows and reflections, they are all there in the P3D version of the JF Arrow, so they are clearly going to be there in the FSW one when its lighting features are finalised. But as I say, JF are developing the SDK with DTG, and there is a patch on the way, probably next week, which is going to affect lighting, so I should imagine it is something to do with that. After all, JF are not going to bother using an obselete method to produce cockpit shadows for the thing if they know it will be a wasted effort a few days later when a patch comes out.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

It's not as if JF don't know how to do shadows and reflections, they are all there in the P3D version of the JF Arrow, so they are clearly going to be there in the FSW one when its lighting features are finalised. But as I say, JF are developing the SDK with DTG, and there is a patch on the way, probably next week, which is going to affect lighting, so I should imagine it is something to do with that. After all, JF are not going to bother using an obselete method to produce cockpit shadows for the thing if they know it will be a wasted effort a few days later when a patch comes out.

Agreed. There are also a couple of config utilities missing from the FSW version, probably for the same reason. I wonder if Flight1 will port over their GTN Complete Edition when the SDK is released?

22 minutes ago, Chock said:

Sure, I really think they will implement it. I think we are just trying to point out the flaws to get it even better. 

The plane is already amazing (in my opinion it surpassed the other versions), but I think it has space to be improved, and we are all trying to make constructive criticism in here. 

And well done Just Flight, this plane is really amazing.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

This is very strange. No models I've ever built for FSX or P3D have needed anything "special" done to them to implement cockpit shadows. The feature just works...

...to be sure, early Alpha/Beta versions of FSX did at one time require objects to be 'watertight' but that was eliminated prior to RTM.

Can it be that FSW does require some additional step(s) to enable this feature? :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

29 minutes ago, n4gix said:

This is very strange. No models I've ever built for FSX or P3D have needed anything "special" done to them to implement cockpit shadows. The feature just works...

...to be sure, early Alpha/Beta versions of FSX did at one time require objects to be 'watertight' but that was eliminated prior to RTM.

Can it be that FSW does require some additional step(s) to enable this feature? :blink:

I think it does, because the FSW aircraft textures don't include the Specular or Bump files which were necessary in FSX. Maybe these FSX object or model lighting effects are now coded into the FSW object or model itself?

1 hour ago, A32xx said:

I think it does, because the FSW aircraft textures don't include the Specular or Bump files which were necessary in FSX. Maybe these FSX object or model lighting effects are now coded into the FSW object or model itself?

The odd thing is I saw a video of someone converting the FSX 737 and It had VC shadows. In the other hand the oustide shadows were really odd.

Well, I really believe they will have this figured that out.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Does the Arrow come with an AI version as well? Can you see other Arrows at airports.

I added ForceVCShadowMap=1 to FSW.cfg and was able to get very limited VC shadows when the small window or the door is open. It seems like the window glass texture is opaque to outside light in the arrow in FSW. 

The VC shadow issue will be addressed in an upcoming update, and yes it is handled differently to FSX/P3D, as are other aspects of modelling/texturing.

Thanks
Martyn - Just Flight

• Upvote 4

Martyn - Just Flight

1 hour ago, Martyn JF said:

The VC shadow issue will be addressed in an upcoming update, and yes it is handled differently to FSX/P3D, as are other aspects of modelling/texturing.

Thanks
Martyn - Just Flight

Thanks Martyn. Could you elaborate about the difference? Would be interesting to hear how shadows are rendered. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, AOB said:

Does the Arrow come with an AI version as well? Can you see other Arrows at airports.

Those are most likely the default Arrow that comes in FSW.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Thanks Martyn. Could you elaborate about the difference? Would be interesting to hear how shadows are rendered. 

Unfortunately I'm not a modeller/artist so can't elaborate on the material differences aside from the use of PBR, however the missing VC shadows in the Arrow III were simply down to an option not being ticked in the compile/export options - info which has now been added to DTG's work-in-progress SDK doc.

Thanks
Martyn - Just Flight

• Upvote 3

Martyn - Just Flight

48 minutes ago, Martyn JF said:

Unfortunately I'm not a modeller/artist so can't elaborate on the material differences aside from the use of PBR, however the missing VC shadows in the Arrow III were simply down to an option not being ticked in the compile/export options - info which has now been added to DTG's work-in-progress SDK doc.

Thanks
Martyn - Just Flight

This can't be right! According to the internet, an SDK does not exist.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, switch686 said:

This can't be right! According to the internet, an SDK does not exist.   

LOL, I'm confused too!

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS