Sign in to follow this  
G-RFRY

Windows 10 fall update

On 11/09/2017 at 4:47 PM, rjfry said:

Just a heads up on what to expect in the next big fall creators update in October.

https://m.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

Ray Fry

Stuttering has been an issue for some of our systems ever since we started flying sims and us having to learn to adjust the settings to suit its performance capability in more recent time.

Apparently the last Win10 created some extra stuttering problems for quite a few:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-finally-confirms-game-stuttering-problems-in-windows-10-creators-update-says-fixes-are-coming

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

11 hours ago, Uteman said:

Apparently the last Win10 created some extra stuttering problems for quite a few

Another article on the problem here: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-gets-around-fixing-windows-10-creators-update-gaming-performance-issues/ states "It is important to note that some gamers are reporting that disabling the Xbox Game DVR feature is fixing the issue for them, but that’s not working for everyone" - so definitely worth a try if you're having these problems.

If you have stuttering and haven't already disabled the X-Box DVR (you don't have to have an X-Box for this to be enabled), see this for instructions on how to do it: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600#appreg. I can't say that I've noticed any problems but I've disabled it anyway.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Another article on the problem here: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-gets-around-fixing-windows-10-creators-update-gaming-performance-issues/ states "It is important to note that some gamers are reporting that disabling the Xbox Game DVR feature is fixing the issue for them, but that’s not working for everyone" - so definitely worth a try if you're having these problems.

If you have stuttering and haven't already disabled the X-Box DVR (you don't have to have an X-Box for this to be enabled), see this for instructions on how to do it: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600#appreg. I can't say that I've noticed any problems but I've disabled it anyway.

I just did as well through the Registry. :)

Anybody about "Game Mode" in windows 10?  Under settings "Gaming", just under "Game DVR"?  Mine is set to on.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

1 hour ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Mine is set to on.

That just means that it's available to use. You still have to call it up for individual games. See: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/game-mode-in-windows-10 for more details.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I turned off the update service after Windows update crashed my old system.  I will wait until after the fall update is out and observations come in before I turn it on again.  My Windows last updated last week after installation of Visual Studio.  Although it took a while for the update to commence I did not notice any impact on my sims or on my system, the update was benign and transparent.  Windows has more control over my system than I'd like, for instance I can't add programs paths to my system environment variables, only my user environment variables.  But as long as it runs well I don't mind.  Windows 10 so far has been very stable, no hard crashes since I bought my system.  Vista was also stable, maybe because generally I don't tinker with the registry or default settings.

The biggest danger to systems in my experience has been heat buildup, I keep my cpu in an area well ventilated on all sides to keep it cool.  The only BSOD I ever experienced in the past nine years was due to a heat crash, I had to trade that system in for another.  Now I am very careful about heat which is the greatest enemy to the CPU and OS performance.  Also, dust buildup inside a PC can heat it up, it's important to keep the PC exposed to as little dust as possible.

When I worked on a PC that crashed in Wyoming I found it loaded with dust and cigarette residue.  I had to physically drop it a few inches to get it to boot up again which dislodged residue from the read/write heads.  My client had never cleaned it and almost lost years' worth of accounting data.  It was a Novell server, my client was astonished at how I got it to boot again.  I immediately backed up the server to another nearby PC and ran the network from that PC so we could review and transfer the accounting data.  I did not charge the client for my work but I encouraged them to find a local systems shop for support in the future before I left for my home base in Phoenix.  I told them to stop smoking near the server, the greatest enemy to hard drive operations, and they immediately banned smoking at that point.  The client invited me back to a sister hotel in Idaho in exchange for my help.  They were nice people who were eager to learn.

John