Sign in to follow this  
Araxxos

Poor FPS on high-end system

Hi guys!

During my search for my unexplained ntldll.dll crashes on P3D v4 I got in the mood for a flight and though I'd install my old FSX again with some nice addons. However, can someone explain to me how I get 15-20 fps on FSX with my specs (See below)?? What am I doing wrong...?

Specs:

Intel i7 7800X 3.5Ghz 8.25MB
MSI GTX Geforce 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB GDDR5
Corsair Hydro 115i
Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

Addons:

ORBX FTX Global Base
PMDG 737 NGX
Activesky 16 + ASCA + Envtex
vPilot - SPAI AI Traffic
FSUIPC 4

With that system you should be seeing 30-40 at minimum.  Were you flying at night?  You should have AA set on 8xMSAA if you are using Dynamic Lighting.  There are other frame killers but I would start there.  

16 minutes ago, Tony P said:

With that system you should be seeing 30-40 at minimum.  Were you flying at night?  You should have AA set on 8xMSAA if you are using Dynamic Lighting.  There are other frame killers but I would start there.  

I am using As16 and ASCA on quite high settings and at the airport I'm at, there were quite high amounts of clouds etc. Im guessing its that

AI traffic is what brings my PC down if I overkill I also have a 1080 TI and a 6700K at 4.8GHZ with the same cooler you have. The only place where my PC suffers with them is at KLGA since I have NYCX which seems to be very frame intensive. I fixed that issue by lowering AI to 10-15%. Also it's only when flying complex aircraft such as the NGX. 

I also run Unlimited frames and I run 8xMSAA. Additionally I only run in Normal in autogen density. Shadows is where I go maximum on range and detail but I only cast vehicle interior and exterior and clouds.  Everything else I avoid.  

Hope that helps. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

4 hours ago, Araxxos said:

Intel i7 7800X 3.5Ghz 8.25MB
MSI GTX Geforce 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB GDDR5

Your 7800X has lots of cores but is not that fast in the overall scheme of things and is possibly one of the things which is holding your performance back. FSX is very much a single core, CPU-dependent program where clock speed is king. High-end graphics cards tend not to make the difference you would expect in FSX - your GPU will allow you to make the graphics look much better but will probably not add that much to your FPS.

What screen resolution are you running at? People rarely mention screen resolution yet it can have a major impact on FSX performance. Someone who gets 40 FPS at 1920x1080 may get less than half of that (or worse) at 4k. Mentioning performance without mentioning screen resolution is almost pointless.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

A lot of good advice here, AA settings and AI tend to affect framerates the most.  I had to lower AI to 25 pct. in P3d, saw a noticeable impact when it was set higher.  Now I can achieve my fps lock of 33 fps all the time.  My cpu speed is only slightly higher than yours, 1MHZ difference.  And your GPU is better than mine.  Try going down to 4X AA if you need to.  The visuals aren't all that bad and you are halving your gpu's work there.  And as others have said, pay close attention to your monitor resolution.

John

I used to run nvidia inspector with FSX - that was better than in game settings.  16x AF and don't use MSAA or SGSS for AA - just use 8x

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think with the OPs 1080 Ti, at anything below 4K he should be able to run just about any AA setting he wants.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On ‎11‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Araxxos said:

Addons:

SPAI AI Traffic

First thing I would do here is getting rid of this pirated piece of AI "software"...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS