Sign in to follow this  
hoakin1981

Intel VS Amd - CPU choice...

Hello to all. I am in the process of building a good enough rig to run X-Plane 10.51 at 1920 X 1200 resolution. Ideally all settings would be at max but since i know this is difficult i plan on compromising on shadows, reflections etc. What i will not be compromising on is the fps which i intend the figure to be >30.

Anyway, my biggest dilemma lies on the CPU choice. Budget-wise i am limited so it will be one of the 2 below:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1600

- INTEL i5-7600K

I am no expert so i cannot easily decide. The AMD has many more threads (12 vs 4) which i read somewhere that X-plane uses a lot but the INTEL is supposedly better in single-core performance.

Any help on the matter will be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

I've not studied the newest AMD processors so I can't speak to them (but forget the past ones). However with Intel one gets a tremendous processor.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for the input. After some reading on the matter what i understand is that the new Ryzen processors are really good (nothing compared to the old FX ones) and are really giving Intel's a run for their money when ti comes to performance.

However, we are one month away from the release of Intel's new Coffee Lake 8th generation CPUs which will have 6-core i5s... at supposedly similar prices to the 7th gen models due to the competition from AMD.

While im not up to speed on newer AMD processors (and might not ever study them), I can say that with the continuing evolution in the flight sim world, I wouldnt recommend going with a processor that doesn't have the ability to hyperthread. Even though its usually best not to use hyperthreading today,  that might easily  change, especially with later processors and supporting motherboard infrasture.. Best not to limit ones options, and have hyperthreading as an option. For that reason I'd go with an i7 over an i5.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Although I am not personally one of those who normally insists on going with what most other people do just for the sake of it (i.e. one doesn't always have to go with an Intel Processor and an Nvidia GPU as though there was no other choice), I would at least be aware that going with a less common choice can put you down a road where further choices can then be limited.

Specifically, you are going to find there will be a lot less choice when it comes to motherboards when you go with an AMD processor, since you would need one with a suitable CPU socket, and because of that lack of competition, you will likely pay more for those motherboards too. I've built systems with AMD CPUs before, and they were perfectly fine, so I'm not saying AMD stuff should be avoided, but I did find it limited the upgrade paths somewhat a year or two later when I had a motherboard which could only take AMD CPUs.

Say what you like about Intel, but the ubiquity of the LGA 1151 socket on decent motherboards out there, and the wide variety of CPUs which can slot into that 1151 socket is certainly something to be considered when building a new system. That is why I built my new PC with a motherboard which has an 1151 socket, although true to my word, I stuck an ASUS GPU in that PCI slot, rather than an NVidia one lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hello. I just built a new system with the AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core processor, let me tell you, it's amazing! No more autogen popping, no more blurries, no more stutters! I have never been happier!

I hope that helps.

Thanks!

Mike  

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

And, I forgot to mention..NO tweaks to the config at all!! FSX-SE with a TON of ad-ons!!

With the AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core processor and the CROSSHAIR VI HERO motherboard which has a direct PCI connection for a Samsung 1Terrabyte SSD hard drive, Everything is crisp, fast, and totally stunning! I'm so glad I don't have to "tweak" things anymore!! Sim heaven finally achieved !!!!     

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Glad to hear this simaddict.

It's good to hear that you're happy with your AMD based system.

I'm on the long final to upgrade my computer and I'm really no closer to deciding now than I was a year ago. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

The general consensus is that for gaming intel are still best threadripper is not utilised in games and more cores at the moment is not making much headway, this why I have this week built a new flight sim PC based on the fact the price drop in intel CPU`s. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

yesterday, I just bought ryzen 1600x.  finally went from i5 to amd.  I am done with intel I think.    

1 hour ago, flyalways said:

I am done with intel I think.    

Wish I had a dime for everyone who has said that thru the years!

Greg

10 hours ago, lownslo said:

Wish I had a dime for everyone who has said that thru the years!

Greg

Me too and I was one of them!!!!  I went back to Intel with the introduction of the Core2 series of CPU's.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

35 minutes ago, stans said:

Me too and I was one of them!!!!  I went back to Intel with the introduction of the Core2 series of CPU's.

Ditto.  I had a business selling PC's, and wouldn't sell an Intel CPU until the Q6600 back from the k6-2 days.  Haven't used an AMD since

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427