Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

Dynamic Lighting V4

Hi all

I have recently started doing some night flying and i'm trying to get the right balance on the settings. It seems when flying at night with Dynamic Lighting enabled i get this horrible sutter / sluggish performance and poor FPS.

I have noticed that if i change my anti aliasing setting from 4MSAA to 2MSAA it improves but then the look of the scenery / aircraft becomes jaggy. Is there any way around it or a way to find the right balance? Or will i pretty much have to compromise and lower the AA setting if flying at night. Just want to make sure that others are having the issue too and its not just me. I always worry that i have either installed something wrong or messed something up ( I don't often i promise haha ) 

I'm running a GTX 10708G and i7700K at 4.6ghz. 

Hello,

Are you using Nvidia inspector? my specs are lower than yours (980ti + I76000K) and I am able to fly with DL on, 8xMSAA and am I still getting 50 to 60 FPS.

A lot of people are getting trouble with DL, what I have seen is that most of them are using Nvidia inspector and configuring super sampling, have a look at your settings.

Regards,
Simbol

6 minutes ago, simbol said:

Hello,

Are you using Nvidia inspector? my specs are lower than yours (980ti + I76000K) and I am able to fly with DL on, 8xMSAA and am I still getting 50 to 60 FPS.

A lot of people are getting trouble with DL, what I have seen is that most of them are using Nvidia inspector and configuring super sampling, have a look at your settings.

Regards,
Simbol

Hi - 

I am using inspector and i believe i have a setting in there for SSAA - Would you say its best to change nothing in inspector? 

Try this, Michael.

Set nvidia inspector prepar3d profile back to default. (Click the nvidia icon in the top menu bar.)

In P3D, choose 8xMSAA and try taxiing around an airport at night with dynamic lighting on and see if that helps.

I run a 1080gtx and it works for me. 

I used to run 4 x MSAA in P3D and 4 x SGSS in nvidia inspector.... the sim looked great but when in heavy cloud or using dynamic lighting, the FPS took a massive hit.

It's all about compromise, I'm afraid.

Hope this helps

Stu

• Upvote 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

28 minutes ago, simbol said:

Hello,

Regards,
Simbol

Plz include the resolution. vital info.

-Roland

1 minute ago, sparkie66 said:

Plz include the resolution. vital info.

Nvidia inspector + super sampling.

Using maths Nvidia inspector SSAA + DL = Trouble.

12 minutes ago, simbol said:

Nvidia inspector + super sampling.

Using maths Nvidia inspector SSAA + DL = Trouble.

Ok. 3x5= 15 so you are running at 1080p? :laugh:

• Upvote 1

-Roland

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips.

I have just gone into inspector and turned off SSAA, That makes a MASSIVE improvement when using dynamic lighting. I changed to daytime to see how everything looks and it seems my aircraft has some jagged lines and doesn't appear very smooth with it turned off. Obviously this is where i'm going to have to compromise. So on night flights i will just simply turn SSAA off and back on for daytime flying. 

Most of the flying i do is in daytime but night flying can be fun too. 

With the advent of so many different add ons and settings, more and more users are finding that a "one size fits all" setting just does not work any longer. Custom controls settings, custom scenery configurations, custom AA, etc - each for a different type of flying and different aircraft.

Consider the setup time just like the preflight IRL. You don't just jump into a real a/c and take off (well, not if you want to live long) so no real reason to do it in the sim.

There are programs available that make this config swapping easier but it can be done from P3D itself.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

With the advent of so many different add ons and settings, more and more users are finding that a "one size fits all" setting just does not work any longer. Custom controls settings, custom scenery configurations, custom AA, etc - each for a different type of flying and different aircraft.

Consider the setup time just like the preflight IRL. You don't just jump into a real a/c and take off (well, not if you want to live long) so no real reason to do it in the sim.

There are programs available that make this config swapping easier but it can be done from P3D itself.

Vic

You know.. i sat here a minute ago and thought what i'm going to have to do is have the right setting for each type of flying i do ( night, day, ) and depending which aircraft. I made the switch from FSX so there is a huge difference in P3D. I don't know why i didn't switch sooner to be honest. 

So far the best way around dynamic lighting for me is turning SSAA off in nvidia inspector. You say that things can be changed within P3D. If i have a flight going and i'm leaving at night but will be arriving in day is there anyway for me to turn on / off the SSAA setting without closing down the sim? Or to see changes with inspector does the sim need to be restarted? 

It would be great if there was a way for me to make those SSAA changes without having to close the sim. If not i guess i will just compromise with the settings.

May I say that I find topics like this utterly useless because VITAL information is seldom given? Like sparkie66 already said: what resolution is being used? But also things like settings for autogen, 3D stuff, shadows, traffic, weather, used addons, and so on. It could well be that someone with a 1080i monitor and a GTX1080 Ti, who uses no autogen at all and flies the default Cub, is giving advice to someone with a GTX780 and three 4K monitors who has all autogen sliders right and flies the PMDG 777. And all the time the Ti-owner wonders how come the 780 owner has lower fps. What a waste of time. And this goes for all similar topics. Of which there are thousands. On AVSIM alone already. Over and over and for years and years people are giving advice and (heaven forbid) advicing tweaks without even knowing what settings are being used...! I just don't get it.

13 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

It would be great if there was a way for me to make those SSAA changes without having to close the sim. If not i guess i will just compromise with the settings.

But ok, anyway, what I was wondering: why the heck are you using nVidia Inspector?!? Why not simply use the SSAA options that P3D v4 offers? Maybe the sim settings work better too? At least they are easier to test... No need to close the sim!!! This is the 13th post in this topic and up to now no one said P3D v4 has native SSAA settings. Why do people keep on installing and using additional programs you don't need? It's the same like people who manually edit config to make changes you can also make on the various option screens in the sim itself! Seriously. Sigh...

Sorry, I just had to get this of my chest. :happy:

13 minutes ago, J van E said:

May I say that I find topics like this utterly useless because VITAL information is seldom given? Like sparkie66 already said: what resolution is being used? But also things like settings for autogen, 3D stuff, shadows, traffic, weather, used addons, and so on. It could well be that someone with a 1080i monitor and a GTX1080 Ti, who uses no autogen at all and flies the default Cub, is giving advice to someone with a GTX780 and three 4K monitors who has all autogen sliders right and flies the PMDG 777. And all the time the Ti-owner wonders how come the 780 owner has lower fps. What a waste of time. And this goes for all similar topics. Of which there are thousands. On AVSIM alone already. Over and over and for years and years people are giving advice and (heaven forbid) advicing tweaks without even knowing what settings are being used...! I just don't get it.

But ok, anyway, what I was wondering: why the heck are you using nVidia Inspector?!? Why not simply use the SSAA options that P3D v4 offers? Maybe the sim settings work better too? At least they are easier to test... No need to close the sim!!! This is the 13th post in this topic and up to now no one said P3D v4 has native SSAA settings. Why do people keep on installing and using additional programs you don't need? It's the same like people who manually edit config to make changes you can also make on the various option screens in the sim itself! Seriously. Sigh...

As i said previously i not long moved from FSX... So i guess my habits have followed me with P3D. I was so used to tweaking FSX to get the best performance and it has taken some time to get used to P3D. You are right... there are the SSAA settings in P3D,  And i have asked about them with people in the past and the reply i got was the standard SSAA settings in P3D suck and i should use inspector for it as it works so much better. This was when i was very new to P3D and i was asking for advice on which is best for what my system settings are. 

I will try the SSAA settings in P3D, I always believe in trying different things and listening to a variety of people based on their experience. I only usually listen to those with almost the exact same specs or as you mentioned above it is pointless. I feel very silly to of not tried the settings in there already but i will give it a shot. 

No need to apologies at the end there :biggrin: I can understand exactly what you mean.. FSX is almost completely forgotten so its all good. haha

17 minutes ago, J van E said:

I have days like that.....many of them.....but then I'm an old grump. :angry:

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors