Sign in to follow this  
hughVFR

Scenery Recommendations for East Ontario, West Quebec

Hi, 

I'm relatively new to FSX. I have taken the base model and added OrbX scenery (the Global pack, the NA Airports package).  Like many, I'm using FSX with a view to eventually getting a PPL - I actually had one 30 yrs ago but it lapsed (a *very* expensive hobby when you're young). I'm trying to get more realistic scenery for practicing cross-country VFR flights. I've tried the Ontario land classes from flightontario.com although nobody seems to be maintaining the site anymore (last news from 2013), and I loaded FO's Rockcliffe (CYRO which looks pretty damn good BTW - the orbX scenery has a significantly shorter actual runway once displaced thresholds are factored in).  I think I saw someone else comment that flying around Ottawa, the scenery doesn't even look close.  Anyone found more realistic scenery for Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec?  Particularly the city of Ottawa itself? Maybe even Kingston (although I found a nice scenery for the airport that shows my old flying club - not much of the city though).

Thanks in advance

-HughVFR

Hi Hugh,

Im an old Ontario Fun Flyers student at CYGK. The CYGK scenery from the library here is an FPS hog I'm afraid on FSX. It worked really well for FS9.

These days I rely on the Orbx freeware version of CYGK. Its pretty good considering it only uses the Orbx library files.

The Orbx NA Land class package does a lot for the area especially as it comes with many custom textures. Obviously you have to have Orbx Global as well.

I also use Flytampa CYYZ, CYUL and also the Fsimstudios CYOW. I haven't come across anything in terms of ottawa city scenery upgrades that remotely look worthwhille getting. The orbs Vector pack at least adds proper lakes, rivers, roads and coastlines for the whole are which is much better than default. 

I find this combo (Global, NA land class, Vector, NA airports pack and Flytampa and Fsimstudios airports) to be the best bang for buck.

Glenn

To get better representations of cities (adjusted dimensions), you'll need better landclass. Either ORBX Vector or UTX 2 Canada will do.

And dig through the list here:

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/canada.html

Maybe you can find some more custom airfields.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thanks for the suggestions.  The Ottawa scenery looks fairly promising.  I have the orbX Vector, and I'm considering whether the orbX OpenLC North America is worth a go or not.  I'm also wondering if the Ontario land classes I introduced (from the flightontario website) may be conflicting - can different scenery LC's clash in FSX?).  I will definitely check out the freeware scenery site when I get back home (currently that site is blocked at work).

-Hugh

2 minutes ago, hughVFR said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  The Ottawa scenery looks fairly promising.  I have the orbX Vector, and I'm considering whether the orbX OpenLC North America is worth a go or not.  I'm also wondering if the Ontario land classes I introduced (from the flightontario website) may be conflicting - can different scenery LC's clash in FSX?).  I will definitely check out the freeware scenery site when I get back home (currently that site is blocked at work).

-Hugh

The open LC NA is really worth it IMHO.

Made a big difference to the land class around Kingston. Obviously you don't get the individual modeled buildings etc but the downtown is clearly visible and also obvious areas like Gardiners Road, Mall and Prison farm etc.

55 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

There is this new "Ottawa 2017" over at:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=58687090

ottawa_2017.zip  Your link went to nowhereville.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

52 minutes ago, charliearon said:

ottawa_2017.zip  Your link went to nowhereville.

I just tried the link. It worked fine my end.

41 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I just tried the link. It worked fine my end.

FYI it will always work fine for the one who posted it.  It's just everyone else who can't make it work.  I

tend to just list the filename when referencing the Flightsim.com Library.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: