Sign in to follow this  
JNS

Ortho4XP question

Hi.  I was just wondering at how low an altitude one can typically fly before the Ortho4XP scenery starts to look a little "strange".

Thanks for any comments.

Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

There is no simple answer to that question, as it is highly depended on a lot of factors:

- Quality of the source orthophots
- Zoom level
- Texture resolution settings in X-Plane
- Type of environment (urban, mountainous, flat, forests etc.)
- Use of decals (gritty details) or not

etc...

But even with all things being equal, it's still highly dependent on each ones subjective perception. Let's say we have the exactly same scenery and two different people. One of them might already find it perfectly fine at 3000ft, while the other will still complain about the lack of quality at 18,000ft.

I only build tiles in ZL16 with decals, and I am totally happy with the results even when flying GA or helicopters low&slow. Others won't do such things even with ZL17.
I have a small area of about 20 tiles around my home town built in ZL17, but that was just to check if I would see a large benefit in rebuilding my other orthos. Turns out, It's not worth the additional time and HDD space for me.

Also keep in mind that you can set up Ortho4xp to build tiles with a higher ZL around airports and a lower ZL for all the rest.

Thanks, Matthias, for the very helpful answer.  I suspected what you said might be the case.  I guess when I get XP11 loaded I'll just have to try some and see what I think.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I find ZL17 with ZL18 for 3kms around airports provides a good balance and is very impressive in most areas. As the above post says, results do very depending on the quality of the ortho photos. Not all ZL17s are equal in detail.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2