Sign in to follow this  
GermanCaptain

PMDG upgrade FSX -> P3D

Hello guys,

I guess this question has been asked many times before but I can't find it in the forums anymore.

My question is whether there is an option to upgrade any PMDG product from FSX to P3D(v4) or is the only way to buy it full price?

Thank you in advance :)

14 minutes ago, GermanCaptain said:

Hello guys,

I guess this question has been asked many times before but I can't find it in the forums anymore.

My question is whether there is an option to upgrade any PMDG product from FSX to P3D(v4) or is the only way to buy it full price?

Thank you in advance :)

Full price. No way around that. There's no upgrade path for FSX to P3D.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, GermanCaptain said:

@Anders Bermann not quite what I wanted to hear :laugh:

But thank you anyway :)

You're welcome, my friend...

There's no way around it. Also be aware, that the license for P3D is quite a bit higher, than the FSX version. At least for the base-packages. But in my opinion - it's worth it in Prepar3D V4!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

4 hours ago, GermanCaptain said:

That's exactly why I would have loved a discount for any sort of upgrade :cool:

You missed the point, the license refers to what PMDG pays for licensing to LM in addition to what they pay to Boeing (I think although specifics have never been discussed).

Dan Downs KCRP

17 minutes ago, 787WannabePilot said:

A few years back they did offer a discount to upgrade from FSX PMDG programs to P3D. 

Not quite...

First: It isn't an upgrade. They're different platforms to suit differing purposes.

Second: It wasn't to change from FSX to P3D, as people who didn't have the FSX version paid the same amount as people who did.

Kyle Rodgers

Debates on our pricing policy are not open for discussion. This has been said a lot of times.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

1. P3D is not FSX. P3D is ESP, which was the Commercial/Training/Academic version of FSX. It carried (and P3D therefore carries) a different license. This is different from the landscape of FSX, both in the nature of the license, but also in the market in which the product exists. This carries a different cost to developers as well (have a look into the difference between home and commercial licenses for various products - same code, different price...curious...I wonder silently to myself why this might be...).

2. We stated very clearly, some time ago (before even releasing a single product into the P3D environment) that one of the main reasons for the price difference was the development work that would go into keeping the products up to par with the continuously-developed (unlike FSX) platform, through the 64 bit conversion.

This is a painfully simple concept. Do not exist in the world with a blatant disregard for the facts at hand, and get upset when reality doesn't match up with the false expectations that you painted yourself into. Similarly, it's usually in everyone's best interest to exist on the assumption that there are reasons behind all actions. If your gut reaction is "this is a money grab," please take a moment to look around. Just a cursory glance would have gotten you this. Granted, don't always assume things - do a little research, or ask a few questions - but jumping right into the fray with guns drawn and going for blood is never the best approach.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers