Sign in to follow this  
MANSpotter99

Prepar3D v3 Crashing. Windows Update KB4038788 (Updated Information)

21 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Thanks Jim, As mentioned I already tried this, to no success.

You received a StackHash which could have been caused by many things.  There is absolutely no one fix that fixes this problem.  A StackHash is not even a module on your computer.  It's sort of like a BSOD only at least a BSOD provides info about the hardware that might have caused the Blue Screen.

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides information about a StackHash (page 33).  It is usually accompanied days later with an NTDLL.dll crash and then back to the Stackhash.  Once, several years ago, when I got a StackHash and didn't know what to do or how to get rid of it, I reformatted my HDD, reinstalled Windows, and then FSX and all of my addons.  Got rid of it!  But I know better now and I still get this error periodically and I try to remember, what did I do before I started getting this stupid error (because it is stupid). 

Do you have MyTrafficX installed?  Did you know that MyTrafficX has incompatible aircraft made for FS9 that do not work in P3D?  It doesn't cause a crash everyday or every flight session but when your sim runs into one of these incompatible textures on these aircraft, P3D throws a fit.  I recommend go to the SimLauncherX forum here on AVSIM (in the Freeware Forum) and download that program.  It has a utility under Misc that will scan your AI aircraft and fix any problems (that fix is not in the CTD Guide yet).  It will also add radios to your AI aircraft so the AI can communicate with other AI and ATC.

If you are overclocked, suspect that next.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest JustanotherPilot

Jim,

Many thanks for giving me something to look into, I don't have my traffic X installed but use ORBX free AU traffic, I'll look at the reference you've given and see how I go.

thanks again

steve

9 hours ago, vgbaron said:

There have been several reports of P3D versions crashing due to latest windows 10 updates. 

KB4038788 & KB4038806 seem to be problematical for *SOME* not all users.

You could try reversing the update.

Vic

Thanks for this! Just went away with the KB4038788 update and my CDT in P3D 3.4 are gone. After a 4h trip with deleting and deactivating dll's in dll.xml and trying everthing to get the CDT away was this a fast fix. Maybe I have to send microsoft a bill.....:blink:

Bruno

Bruno 

KB4038788 was a huge headache for me too, spent all night uninstalling/reinstalling P3D and addons. Orbx anything wouldn't work in v3 and PMDG anything wouldn't work in v4. Got rid of the update and everything is perfect now.

Anyone having any sort of sim issues over the last couple of days would probably do well to get rid of that update and set your system to Current Branch for Business so it doesn't give you the update (or any others for that matter) til it's actually ready and stable.

Hello,

I just stood up early today to do a few morning flights with the PMDG NGX. I selected everything in the menu (PMDG 737-800NGX, Aerosoft Frankfurt V2) and then loaded up into the flight. As soon as the loading bar reached 100% a "fatal error" occured and the sim shut down. Strangely I saw the fatal error window 2 times and had to click it away two times. Like always I then went into the event viewer to see if I can maybe resolve the issue. Faulty module? unknown. Great. Now I have googled some solutions what it could be. I tried out following: Reinstall Simconnect 10.0.61259.0, as that is as far as I know the NGX related Simconnect module as I first thought there would be a problem with the NGX. But it didn't help. Then I read that maybe FSDreamteams GSX might be causing trouble, so I ran the Couatl Updater. Nothing. I reinstalled FSUIPC4 - nothing. I also downloaded the latest Version of the V3.4 client (which was already installed before anyway but I wanted to reinstall it). Reinstalled it and - nothing. I restarted my computer and then started up the sim again. Default Jet, Default Airbase. It loaded fine, then I moved to plane to Frankfurt - it loaded fine. Changed to NGX - still no crash. Then reset the time to the local time and simultaneously started FS2Crew and it crashed again. And since that it continues to crash. I've also observed that it happens everytime. Doesnt matter if its the default jet or the NGX, doesnt matter which airport. I mean it wouldn't be that big of a problem if I knew which module it was, but as its "unknown" I really have no clue and am quite frustrated :( The thing is, I started up the sim yesterday, just to check something and it loaded fine. My last flight was on last weekend and it worked fine (until the part that the PMDG 747 caused a CTD, but I guess thats another issue). I really didn't change anything on the system, which is why I completely cannot understand what is causing the problem since today.

Thanks.

UPDATE 1: 

So I just tested out a bit more and came to the conclusion: Prepar3D shuts down as soon as I load a flight without the default F22. E.g. default F22 and Eglin AFB - working fine. As soon as I select another airplane (tested with Aerosoft Airbus and PMDG NGX now) even at the default AFB the sim crashes as soon as the loading is complete. I also updated the NGX but that obviously didn't help. Now I'd say it is safe to assume that the problems are the Add On aircraft. Now, loading up the F22 first and then selecting an Add On aircraft lets it load for about 5 secs, but then it also crashes. So what could be the cause? From one day into another? Any solutions?

UPDATE 2:

I am able to load into the PMDG NGX fine, when using the Default Airport Eglin AFB from the default flight. I can also load the NGX directly from the menu into Aerosoft's EDDS Stuttgart. But into Frankfurt v2? Nope. Also, the Aerosoft Airbus doesn't work at all, doesn't matter which airport, it always crashes at 100% loading. The thing which confuses me so much is that it just occured out of nowhere. Yesterday I loaded a flight into Default Innsbruck LOWI with the NGX and everything was fine. I've had several CTD's before, when I was flying more frequently until last week, but they always occured on the PMDG 747 after a longer flight time, so I guess there is no relation in that. Lik described above, there is no faulty module, it just crashes at 100%. I've also read that the migration tool could've been causing trouble, so I started it up to see if everything is alright. To my surprise it asked for the activation key and path of Prepar3D, so I did that and also re-enabled the redirection. After doing that, I was able to load the PMDG NGX into the Default Eglins AFB. (chronologically this should've been at the start of Update 2.). I will try to disable the redirection, but I don't think that this has got anything to do with that. If someone needs my dll.xml or cfg or anything I can post it.

Thanks in advance, I'm really lost right now

If you are on Windows 10, a recent update seems to have caused lots of issues for people, especially in P3D v3. Try uninstalling update KB4038788 if it is on your system.

Thanks  for your comment guys. Got rid of windows update KB4038788, and the sim appears to be functioning correctly..............cross everything.

Mike

Hi,

I had the same issue, for me uninstalling and blocking this update did the trick. P3D v3.4 is working fine again, thanks for all of your tipps :cool:

Dominik

Guest JustanotherPilot

LM has set up a dedicated thread in their Forums for this issue and are asking for error logs to be posted to assist in them resolving this

I thought I fixed the problem by uninstalling the mentioned update but unfortunately I had another CTD yesterday a couple of hours into the flight. This time caused by kernalbase.dll if I recall correctly.

Might not be related though and I hope it was a one time thing. 

Richard Åsberg

Hi,

Recently, P3D v3.3 has been crashing rather a lot when flying the Aerosoft A320 around Europe. In some cases, P3D crashes without warning and doesn't have a reason in the Event Viewer when I got find out why I got a CTD. It just freezes, I get the circular blue icon and it just closes. This is usually when departing, one time was going out of Aerosoft Heathrow and the other out of JustSim Nice. I seem to notice that CTD's during departure don't have a reason in the Event Viewer.

The other CTD's occur when flying over the Alps. I was just flying now from Heathrow to Linate and just as I was flying over the main part of the Alps, I got the sudden freeze and the Windows crash bar appear. When I look in the Event Viewer I get this:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df48ce
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df4841
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008671
Faulting process ID: 0x310c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d32ece1d8a629c
Faulting application path: F:\Prepar3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Prepar3D\terrain.dll
Report ID: e1ee5c63-7ace-46c1-8548-e2a164efb2d9
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

terrain.dll seems to crash P3D when I have high scenery settings but I don't think mine are particularly high. I did try lowering them but I only get the sim crash when flying over the Alps. 

My PC specs:  i7 CPU @ 4.0GHz - GTX960 2GB - 8GB RAM - Windows 10 - P3D installed onto an SSD

My addons when CTD's occur: ORBX Global and ORBX LC Europe, Aerosoft A320, Active Sky Next, Chaseplane. I also fly on VATSIM every time I fly.

It just seems really strange how these crashes just happen out of nowhere. After the CTD departing Nice, I flew the departure again the next day and it was absolutely fine. It's just really annoying how it happens out of the blue and there's nothing in the Event Viewer suggesting why it occurs. There's no OOM's and I've never had one before in P3D. I have considered purchasing FSUIPC to have the Autosave feature because these crashes are beginning to become quite a common event when flying in Europe, especially when flying near the Alps.

I've tried turning off airports near the Alps in the Scenery Library when not flying there but this hasn't fixed anything. I also referred to the Avsim CTD guide and made P3d rebuild the config file and readded the scenery, dll and exe files back in. In fact this didn't really help and now when I try to load in at Heathrow in the Airbus I have CTD's when the progress bar reaches 100%. This is what I get in the Event Viewer: 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df48ce
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x1297dd00
Faulting process ID: 0x11d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d32ecd93e609f4
Faulting application path: F:\Prepar3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 791812fb-407b-40d5-ae86-7331c6a208ac
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I now have to load in at Heathrow in the default F-22 and then change the aircraft type to the Airbus to avoid CTD's.

If there is ANY way to stop these annoying CTD's and make flying a little less irritating and a lot more enjoyable, I'd be extremely grateful.

Regards,

Fraser

Did you remove that Windows update being discussed here?

The terrain.dll is caused by high P3D settings, especially autogen.  See AVSIM CTD Guide, page 34.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10