Sign in to follow this  
jasonstory44

Prepar3d V4 Logbook question/problem

So I just cleaned out my logbook in Prepar3D V4 because it was full of a lot of partial flights and broken bits I accumulated while getting my Prepar3D setup just right.

I deleted all the entries in the Logbook (under analysis) to start from scratch.  Problem is, now none of my flights are being recorded.  Did I screw this up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, jason

this may help

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

11 hours ago, jasonstory44 said:

Problem is, now none of my flights are being recorded.  Did I screw this up?

Not at all, this is a bug that has been around since FSX was released and they started using the binary logbook file.  The primary difference between v3 and v4 is the use of UTC16 instead of ASCII encoding, otherwise it is the same old code with the same old bugs.  My LogEdit application will detect errors in the binary file and give you the choice to skip the record or abort the read.  Once the logbook data is in LogEdit, you can import logbook data from v3 or FSX and save in v4 format.  The binary file remains compatible with P3D so flights are recorded and the P3D Pilot Records UI will still work as expected.

Dan Downs KCRP

Good stuff D.  I just deleted my logbook.bin in hopes Prepar3d will make a new one. 

Where re can I download you program?  I searched here at AVSIM but couldn't find it. 

Thanks Jason

3 hours ago, jasonstory44 said:

Where re can I download you program?  I searched here at AVSIM but couldn't find it. 

Look for LogEdit3 or try this link: https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=logedit3&CatID=root&Go=Search

You can also search for Dan Downs and sort by date.  I think it's the latest thing I uploaded.

Dan Downs KCRP

Speaking of LogEdit3 I noticed that none of my single engine flights are being recorded as such. All are logged as multi engine. No big deal just curious if anyone else is having the same issue.

18 hours ago, bills511 said:

Speaking of LogEdit3 I noticed that none of my single engine flights are being recorded as such. All are logged as multi engine. No big deal just curious if anyone else is having the same issue.

Bill, have you noticed the single engine error in P3D?  For example, start a single engine session and slew or move around to get it counted as a logbook entry.  Then shut down the engine, this forces the flight to be completed in the logbook, and open the P3D Pilot Records UI and see if the flight is SE or ME please.

I don't have any single engine aircraft so it is possible that there is a bug in LogEdit but I want to ensure it's not in P3D.  Thanks so much for checking this. I might have to add a single engine aircraft to my fleet to check this out but please forward your findings to me either here, as a PM or to my email address contained in the user manual.  Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Bill, have you noticed the single engine error in P3D?  For example, start a single engine session and slew or move around to get it counted as a logbook entry.  Then shut down the engine, this forces the flight to be completed in the logbook, and open the P3D Pilot Records UI and see if the flight is SE or ME please.

I don't have any single engine aircraft so it is possible that there is a bug in LogEdit but I want to ensure it's not in P3D.  Thanks so much for checking this. I might have to add a single engine aircraft to my fleet to check this out but please forward your findings to me either here, as a PM or to my email address contained in the user manual.  Thanks.

Hi Dan,

I'll check this out later this evening when I get a chance and let you know.

Thanks

9 hours ago, downscc said:

Bill, have you noticed the single engine error in P3D?

It appears to me P3D may be the culprit. I tested with the Maule. On the flight page of the logbook there is a scrollable box that does NOT show single engine time. Just multi, inst., night etc. All pages are this way.

I just posted this over at the LM forum.

Edited by bills511

14 hours ago, bills511 said:

It appears to me P3D may be the culprit. I tested with the Maule. On the flight page of the logbook there is a scrollable box that does NOT show single engine time. Just multi, inst., night etc. All pages are this way.

I just posted this over at the LM forum.

Many thanks Bill for checking that.  I didn't expect LogEdit to have the problem but I wasn't sure and it's good to get independent verification.  At least it is easy to fix the recorded flight data with LogEdit and you can sort the type aircraft column to line up all records for the Maule together to make it even easier.

Dan Downs KCRP