Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

Help Installing Add-on Scenery

Hi All - I recently moved from FSX to P3D v4.

II downloaded some freeware airports to install, but unlike FSX, I believe there is no add-on folder with scenery and texture subfolders to install.

We are required to go in and create XML files to add the scenery into P3D v4???.

Which is very confusing.

Does anyone have a guide or instruction s how to install them?.

FSX was way easier.

Thanks

Hi Jeganathan,

Installation in P3Dv4 can be done in exactly the same way as in FSX.

Although there is no 'Addon Scenery' subfolder in the main P3D folder, you can create one yourself. There's no need however to use the 'Addon Scenery' folder, you can use any other folder you like (even on another drive) as long as you point the Local= setting for the scenery layer in the scenery.cfg file to the location where you have installed your scenery.

You can also use the new method based on add-on.xml files. If you search the forum for 'add-on.xml', you will find plenty information about how to do this.

Maarten

• Upvote 1

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

2 minutes ago, mawibo said:

You can also use the new method based on add-on.xml files. If you search the forum for 'add-on.xml', you will find plenty information about how to do this.

Maarten

I strongly advise to stop using this method, it is not intended to be used as most users think, more information can be found here: 

People are using this technique wrong! and it can have catastrophic consequences for their PD3V4 simulation experience.

Regards,
Simbol

Ahaha... really?  I find the add-on.xml method to be easier than the text based configuration files.

4 hours ago, ozflyer said:

Does anyone have a guide or instruction s how to install them?.

My advice is to learn how to use the add-on.xml method.  It is not complicated, just different and xml files are not something to be intimidated by.  Alternatively, you can use the Lordy Addon Organizer, which is very popular, updated often and is free.  Be sure to evaluate carefully advice that you should use the scenery.cfg method.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 hours ago, simbol said:

Hello Oz,

What freeware you downloaded? if you give me more details I might be able to help you.

Regards,
Simbol

Hi Simbol,

Mostly Ray Smith's AFCAD' s like YMML, WSSS, VHHH etc.

7 hours ago, mawibo said:

Hi Jeganathan,

Installation in P3Dv4 can be done in exactly the same way as in FSX.

Although there is no 'Addon Scenery' subfolder in the main P3D folder, you can create one yourself. There's no need however to use the 'Addon Scenery' folder, you can use any other folder you like (even on another drive) as long as you point the Local= setting for the scenery layer in the scenery.cfg file to the location where you have installed your scenery.

Maarten

So if I place all myy scenery under D:\Addon Scener\ Xxxx

I just need to have the root folder location under "local=" in scenery config file?

Hi Jeganathan,

Nope. The local= setting refers to a folder that has a Scenery and a Texture folder. The simulator processes the files in these two subfolders. You can only use the root folder if you put all the .bgl and texture files in these two subfolders. 

I strongly advice you create subfolders for each individual scenery (each with their own Scenery and Texture subfolders) and add a scenery layer for each of these sceneries to the scenery.cfg file.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

The new addon is better for diagnosting errors and saves tons of time when reinstalling prepar3d as patches are normal process.  I just orbx would do this to all their regional products.  I understand on what global does but after that everything can be addon folder.

I have reinstalled p3dv4 like 3 to 4 times already.  And all my FSDT/Flightbeam/UK2000 is working as it should from the addon time.  Am I reinstalling them - Nope.  Super time saver.

LM needs to force everyone to change to this.  It will save them so many tickets which are created by user scenery for like 90% of the time

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)