Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

P3Dv4 stops when trying to select airport.

It Quits when i click on the "Cancel" or "Ok" button in the Change Airport or Change Location Window.

I can select other Airports etc. but after clickin Cancel or ok it Quits immediately.

And at the default airport and clickin on Navigate in the pull down menu it does quit immediately.

Win7, Radeon R9390, i7-2600k @ 4,1 GHz

There seems to be a problem with the latest windows 10 update and P3D which may be the problem. There's a bit on the LM forums about it.

• Upvote 1

I am currently running P3D v. 3.4 and have had no CTD problems since it was installed on my new Jetline System in Dec. 2016. Just about a week ago I started to have problems after the sim would begin to load the initially selected airport. It would get about 98% loaded and then that dreaded placard with a P3D.exec.. error presented itself and the sim would shutdown. I have made no changes in the main P3D cfg. file or anything else. I too am running Win 10 and suspect a windows update to be the possible culprit of this. This happened to me some years ago with FSX boxed edition--it too started to experience CTD after a windows update (Win7 I believe).

The P3D exec. error has been happening more often. I allowed a new P3D cfg. file to be made and it did not really help. I even did a system restore point back to 9-3-17. That seemed to help but then I believe the OS updated it self again as the same error was starting to show itself again. I was about to give up and purchase P3D v. 4.

My last flight in P3D v. 3.4--I started with default Eglin AFB and the default fighter jet. I then selected another airport location (using Orbx scenery) still with the default jet fighter; P3D did not crash and the newly selected airport loaded okay. I then selected an addon aircraft and was able to complete my flight. This whole thing is weird! I ran a Win10 events log read out and it does not tell me much except P3D exec. error

If this error is caused by a latest Win10 update, what can be done about this issue? Will LM issue a patch? Do we turn off auto updates?

I found the link below on the Crash to Desk Top forum--Report P3D v. 3.4 crashes to LM using the link--I copied the link as noted below from that forum--there is some helpful comments for those of us experiencing this P3D v. 3.4 and version 4 CTD. Apparently from the forum discussion it looks like the culprit is a MS security update for Win10 and Win 7 KB4038788.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126667&start=30

Hope this helps and hope this copied link works.

The only problem I've had with P3d is the Carenado Mirage causes P3d to crash if it's the startup aircraft.  So my default flight is the A36. then I can change to any plane I want, including the Mirage.  The aircraft you start up with may be the cause of your problems.

John

So back to topic,

P3D V4 stops working after Airport selection, by pressing Cancel or ok, immediately to Desktop.

Only working is default Airport.

Aircraft doesnt matter, u can select anyone at default Airport, its working.

Win7 or Win 10

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 6:12 AM, Lucevan said:

There seems to be a problem with the latest windows 10 update and P3D which may be the problem. There's a bit on the LM forums about it.

this  seems  to be  the logical  answer   since  off  all  the issues  arising  from the latest  win  10 update

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

3 hours ago, pete_auau said:

this  seems  to be  the logical  answer   since  off  all  the issues  arising  from the latest  win  10 update

Hello all,

I agree with this theory, however mine was kind of strange how it happened. I could load up V4 perfectly fine with no issues until I installed some scenery I bought from FSDG and that’s when the crash to desktops started happening when loading a scenario after selecting an airport. The reason why I doubted the Windows Update being the cause was because a few weeks back I had a similar problem when I purchased some different scenery from FSDG. 

I wonder how long it will be before Lockheed Martin come up with a fix. My sim is currently unusable as nothing works. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

- Jonathan Daley

Just now, Jonathan93102 said:

Hello all,

I agree with this theory, however mine was kind of strange how it happened. I could load up V4 perfectly fine with no issues until I installed some scenery I bought from FSDG and that’s when the crash to desktops started happening when loading a scenario after selecting an airport. The reason why I doubted the Windows Update being the cause was because a few weeks back I had a similar problem when I purchased some different scenery from FSDG. 

I wonder how long it will be before Lockheed Martin come up with a fix. My sim is currently unusable as nothing works. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

yep  agree   strange  issues  hope  that  they  do  solve  the  issues  with  you guys  soon

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ok, I have finally solved the original problem I've had, not being able to change airports in P3Dv4 on my brand new system, that I've just built..

In desperation I reinstalled my Windows 10 Pro, but I still had the same problem, I also noticed a problem with Nvidia driver install.

I called nVidia support and was told that my new Win10 install didn't have all of the updates, even though it shows all updates up to date. They sent me a link to force the updates, and it did the trick. It took a very long time, but it brought the OS up to date,  and now the fresh install of P3Dv4 is working as it should.

Here's the link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821403. in case someone might need it.

The only problem l have now is trying to get my Optane reinstalled and working, it took me a week to figure out how to do it, and looks like I'll have to do it all over again!

Life is good, but will be even better with the Optane running! :biggrin:

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

I am not sure how updating Windows 10 Pro solved your problem with changing airports in P3DV4 but if you can change airports now that's good.  I do know that whenever you reinstall Windows 10, it may not update your system immediately and they run the updates on a schedule.  I am very confused as I thought that when you reinstall Windows, you have to reinstall P3DV4 and all of your addons too.  Glad you got it fixed and able to use P3DV4 again.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well my first W10 install, after build, was not updated either and I've had it installed for a couple of weeks, so apparently the updates were not automatically installing . After fighting the problem for a week and trying everything else, I decided to reinstall W10  again. That's when the updates problem surfaced. When checking W10 for  updates it kept telling me that the OS was up to date, but the Nvidia support tech said not to go by that and run the program to force the updates. I guess he was right. After running that program, receiving all the updates, I reinstalled P3D4 and it is running as it should!

And yes, I had to reinstall P3d4 and everything else on this PC, that's why I delayed the Windows reinstall.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

11 hours ago, Pete S said:

After running that program, receiving all the updates, I reinstalled P3D4 and it is running as it should!

Okay, I think that was the fix, reinstalling P3DV4.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 9/21/2017 at 6:38 AM, Jim Young said:

Okay, I think that was the fix, reinstalling P3DV4.

Well actually, it was reinstalling W10 and P3D4. Just reinstalling P3D4 alone didn't solve the problem. I actually reinstalled P3D4 several times to no avail. It was after I reinstalled W10 that the problem was solved, because it was not properly updating.

Pete S.

2 hours ago, Pete S said:

Well actually, it was reinstalling W10 and P3D4. Just reinstalling P3D4 alone didn't solve the problem. I actually reinstalled P3D4 several times to no avail. It was after I reinstalled W10 that the problem was solved, because it was not properly updating.

That's probably why I had no issues, as soon as I booted my new system a few weeks' back, Windows initiated an update.  Then it did another one when I installed their programming suite. I was nervous but my system booted up just fine.  I installed P3d before installing the programming suite, so if there were any issues, they would have surfaced by now.  Now P3d starts every time, I believe my default aircraft is the Carenado 337 and the default Airport is Napa.  Only other add-ons I have are some AFCAD's for Arizona, my Colorado scenery made for FSX, and MSE California and Southwest v2.  P3d has been compliant with these add-ons, no issues at all.

I have Xplane11 with Photoreal scenery but I am leaning towards P3dV4 as my primary sim, I'll use Xplane if an interesting aircraft comes out for it.  Both run well with no bad habits.  When I fly I am not nervous about a CTD or an OOM issue and I have saturated X-plane with a large area of photoreal scenery running from the Pacific Coast to Nevada.  Today I flew from Reno to the Bay Area with photoreal scenery displayed below, and with some autogen on top

John