Sign in to follow this  
Conner Pierce

CDI Glideslope Not Working

Oki so I tried a bit more. Here are my new findings:

https://ibb.co/ehQ8im
This picture shows that my gtn unit is in vlock mode and it also shows that im tuned to the ils 110.90 for runway 21 at ENCN. 

https://ibb.co/gkANb6
This picture shows that my glide slope isn't working on the captain side.

https://ibb.co/mecqUR
This picture shows the display working correctly on the co-pilot side. I'm trying to find a switch to make the captain's side work since I dont fly on the right hand seat. Anyone know where it is? I can only find the transponder 1-2 switch. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Looks like you've got the ILS tuned on NAV 2.  I'm going to guess that that's what's driving the co-pilot's OBI.  Have you tried tuning it on the GTN?  That sets NAV 1, and I think it'd get you a response on the captain's OBI.  To switch the GTN from COM to NAV, use the middle mouse button to press and hold the small knob.  If I recall correctly, there's also a clickspot on the left side of the knob.  

If you've already tuned the GTN to your ILS frequency, then disregard this - something else must be going on.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:  One more thing - open the Flight 1 GTN configurator, select the DC-6, and make sure the unit is assigned to NAV 1.  I seem to recall that it defaults to NAV 2.  Something else to check.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Oki so I tried a bit more. Here are my new findings:

https://ibb.co/ehQ8im
This picture shows that my gtn unit is in vlock mode and it also shows that im tuned to the ils 110.90 for runway 21 at ENCN. 

https://ibb.co/gkANb6
This picture shows that my glide slope isn't working on the captain side.

https://ibb.co/mecqUR
This picture shows the display working correctly on the co-pilot side. I'm trying to find a switch to make the captain's side work since I dont fly on the right hand seat. Anyone know where it is? I can only find the transponder 1-2 switch. 

Andreas,

I check the GTN config and I have all at default (Even what Alan suggested I have it at NAV2/). However as Alan said I do not see the GTN NAV, You have set the NAV2 to ILS what about the NAV1 from the GTN?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I apologize in advance for tagging onto an older thread...maybe my question was answered on the first page of this thread...

I've just gotten back into flying the DC-6 (after purchasing some new Orbx Alaska scenery!). I've finally figured out how to fly this great aircraft without the AFE, start-up to shutdown. For the life of me, on my ILS approaches, I cannot figure out how to get the glide slope capture...the localizer is working fine. I've tried with the Altitude Control both off and on, neither will capture the G/S signal (the plane continues on level flight after the intercept).

I've searched the POH and this forum, this thread is the closest to what I'm observing on ILS approaches.

I'm using the F1 GTN 650 in P3D v4.3

If I read/understood correctly, the G/S capture (failure/bug) is a known issue with the F1 GTN to be resolved in a future update...can this be verified/clarified?

Thanks, Rob Meier

Let me say I love this DC-6.  Everything is fine, except intercepting the GS Approach with  the AP and using that to DH.  I have the GTN 650 and this is in FSX SE.  With the AP I intercept the Loc perfect every time.  As I approach the GS I am at 150kts, flaps 20 & gear down.  I use the GTN  for the Nav 1 fregs with no problem, but otherwise do not use it.  I only use the aircraft instruments. The GS indicator works fine.  It just doesn't intercept the GS. In fact, I have been hand flying my ILS approaches by hand from the beginning when I couldn't figure how the GS Approach coupler worked.  Yesterday, I decided to try it again.  Went through the manuals again and just shot an approach onto 10R at KBOI.  When the GS needle started to move down, the Gyro Pilot & Altitude Hold were ON, the Mech lever was deflected and we were tracking the LOC.  I turned the Mode Selector to Approach and did not have either light activate.  As the GS needle centered the VS indicated a soft climb which is pretty normal, but did not settle into the decent -same as always for me.  I disengaged the AP and hand flew the rest of the approach.  So, am I missing some setting or operation, or is this waiting for a fix?  This aircraft hand flys a very smooth ILS approach,  Now my only challenge is to get the AP to do it. Thanks for any advise, Mike Nicholson

Mike,

My request just before your's went unanswered...be sure you activate the ILS approach on the GTN (it cannot be in "suspend" mode or the G/S capture will not activate. It took me a little bit to figure it out...I was used to having duplicate NAV1 radios in other aircraft I was using with the GTN...I hadn't seen this issue before (obviously, the only NAV1 frequency for the DC-6 is through the GTN).

Anyway, activating the appraoch on the GTN prior to ILS localizer/glidescope capture and then activating the A/P approach works flawlessly for me on ILS approaches down to DH (but remember, you have to be below the G/S capture for it to work!).

Good luck!

Rob Meier

Edited by rmeier

Thanks for the hint Rob! Seems to work with me too, although on yesterdays flight my GTN activated the approach mode on its own... Thats why it sometimes worked, and sometimes not.

7 hours ago, TheFinn88 said:

Thanks for the hint Rob! Seems to work with me too, although on yesterdays flight my GTN activated the approach mode on its own... Thats why it sometimes worked, and sometimes not.

Yeah, you'll find the Garmin Pilot's Guide very useful to understanding why sometimes this happens and other times not.  There are so many features missing from the default GPS that is really is a good idea to review the Garmin manuals to see what you are missing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Conner,

I hope you can give me some advice, as my 78 year old brain is going round in circles, and you seem much more saavy than I could ever hope to be.

I have just purchased the PMDG DC6 P3D v4. I also have the Flight 1 GTN 650, OS Windows 10. I have flown the PMDG DC 6 Tutorial with the Garmin 430, but I want to use the GTN 650 instead as I prefer it's Map View. Unfortunately, I think I have wasted money with the GTN 650 as I can't get the aircraft established onto the flight plan. I also have the GTN Trainer installed

There are plenty of manuals telling how to set up a Flight Plan, which I find very simple to do. However I can't locate anything which will give me information about how to set up the GTN 650 in order to Take Off, fly to the first waypoint, and then onto the Flight Plan route using the Auto Pilot.( there is a different method from flying the Garmin 430, as you know).

Sometimes when the GTN 650 is initially opened, CDI and OBS buttons are visible, but other times, only VLOC is visible.

I know I must be doing something wrong, so could you perhaps point me to where I may find some information which will help?

Kind regards

Andy

andy a

Hello Andy,

I'm not exactly sure of the issue you're having...I'm assuming it is the initial set-up of the GTN rather than your pedestal autopilot set-up.

Attached is a link to a pretty good Youtube video:

The GTN 650 specific starts at 39:15 with the GPS/VLOC shown at 40:04. Hope this helps. To follow the flight plan, the GTN 650 must be in GPS mode (with the exception of your approach). Once the pedestal switches are set, the aircraft will follow the flight plan in GPS mode (assuming heading is initially on an intercept).

Hope the info helps!

Rob

Edited by rmeier

Hello Rob,

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and for posting the You Tube video.

I have in fact already seen this video, but unfortunately it didn't really help.

I have tried a re-install of the Flight 1 Complete, but the set up detected VisualC++ 2015 runtime files are out of date..the 2015 files are not listed in my Control Panel> Programs and Features.

I don't know what this is all about, and as my pc , which has a fairly high spec, and is only a year old, I may consult the manufacturer...or just forget about the GTN 650 and use the Garmin that came with the PMDG aircraft, which may be the easy option.

Anyway, thank you again Rob, I appreciate your interest.

Kind regards

Andy

andy a

Hello Andy,

I hate to hear you're still having problems. You can download (self-install) the C++ files from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

The other thing I was thinking about...you should have a F1GTN.ini file in your PMDG directory(s): (you can find it in the following location:) \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG DC6-A\   and the same for DC6-B)

I'm wondering if you have an incorrect/faulty ini file...attached is what I have for my set-up: (feel free to compare your file to this one...it may help to troubleshoot your issue) - note, open the file with notepad.

I hope this information helps!

Regards, Rob

[GTN650.1]
TAWS Voice=1
AVDB=0
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=999
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=8
Airplane=4
Color Airplane=0
VFR Code=1200
Unit Type=2
Fuel Type=0
[GTN750.1]
Radios=1
Autopilot=2
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=6
Airplane=0
Color Airplane=0
TAWS Voice=1
AVDB=0
VFR Code=1200
Unit Type=1
Fuel Type=0
[GTN750.2]
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=0
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=6
Airplane=0
Color Airplane=0
TAWS Voice=0
AVDB=0
VFR Code=1200
Unit Type=1
Fuel Type=0
[GTN650.2]
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=0
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=6
Airplane=0
Color Airplane=0
TAWS Voice=0
AVDB=0
VFR Code=1200
Unit Type=2
Fuel Type=0

Hello Rob,

Firstly, let me apologise for taking so long to reply to your very helpful message...and once more, thank you for taking time to help me, for which I am extremely grateful.

I followed your link for the C++ 2015 files which took me to where I had actually visited yesterday, and had tried unsuccessfully to install them.

I did try today, using your link, but again they wouldn't install, due to "an error".   I spent quite some time trying to Google a solution and eventually came across a reply from someone who said that VisualC++2015 files are blocked by the VisualC++2017 files!

. I uninstalled the 2017 files, downloaded and this time  successfully installed the 2015 files. I then checked your F1GTN.ini file against what was in my F1GTN .ini file, and there were 6 anomalies!

After editing the .ini file, I reinstalled Visual C++ 2017, after which I went to Control Panel >Programs and Features, and the C++2015 had in fact disappeared.

Now that I have the F1GTN installed, I'll have to read up on how to actually use the program as it seems quite different from the GNS 430 which comes with the PMDG DC6.

Rob, once again I offer my sincere thanks for your kind assistance.

Kind regards

Andy

EGPF

andy a

Hello Andy,

I'm happy to hear that things worked out for you and you were able to get your F1GTN loaded for the DC-6.

You're going to enjoy it, I'm sure!

Happy Flying!

ps: It's been a long time since I've flown through EGPF...many years ago, I lived in Aberdeen (EGPD) for a couple of years.

Best regards, Rob

Edited by rmeier