Nick M

Most recent GNS-compatible aviation database from GTN trainer?

I understand from this topic that one of the advantages of the RXP GNS products is that the aviation database ("worldwide.bin" file) can be updated with the corresponding file from the Garmin GTN trainer (which will just need to be renamed). However, a recent change to the GTN trainer means that these files are no longer compatible (i.e. they can't simply be interchanged any more) and I'm unable to find any download links for previous versions of the GTN trainer.

Therefore, I was just wondering if anyone still has a copy of the most recent version of the GTN trainer which does include a compatible aviation database? If so, would it be possible to share just the relevant *.bin file (something similar to "006-d0170-00.bin"), to avoid hosting a large download?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. I have already updated the GNS "bmap.bin" file with the corresponding file from the current GTN trainer. :smile:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You might want to explore this solution then to get a worldwide database, cycle 1607 expired 21JUL16.

- download the GTN 6.0.3 for iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-gtn-trainer/id479670018?mt=8

- rename .ipa to .zip and unzip

- in the "Payload\GTN.app\" folder, locate "avtn_db.bin" (this is the worldwide database file)

- copy this file to your GNS database folder, as "worldwide.bin" (or use the environment var described in the User's Manual)

NB: you might want to explore the other files, such as "bmap.bin", "safetaxi.bin", "standard.odb", "terrain.odb", "trn.dat". I've not tested them specifically though.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jean-Luc, I'll give that suggestion a try.

Bert - thanks for your post too!

Regards,
Nick

Hmm! "This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices." How very - Appley! :rolleyes:

Nick

@Bert Pieke thank you the additional information!

@Nick M but once downloaded with iTunes, you can grab the .ipa and proceed without even installing it on a device.

6 minutes ago, RXP said:

[...] but once downloaded with iTunes, you can grab the .ipa and proceed without even installing it on a device.

Are you accessing iTunes via an iPad Jean-Luc? I can't seem to download the app using iTunes on Windows or even on my MacBook.

Nick

I've downloaded it a while back, using a Mac. Never tried on Windows though. 

when clicking the link, I realize I don't find a "view in iTunes" link. Instead, clicking the 'view other apps from' gives this page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/garmin-dci/id309920282

where you can click the 'view in iTunes' to open iTunes (Mac at least) to the app page.

If I click the link in iTunes, it just takes me back to the "iTunes Preview" browser page with the "this app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices" message. I guess it knows I'm trying to download it on a PC or Mac which won't run the software. Perhaps the app store download restrictions have changed recently? :mellow:

Nick

What about searching for "GTN trainer" in the store, within iTunes? Otherwise, iTunes might be filtering out apps if you don't have an iPad/iPhone/iPod registered?

Nevertheless, it might in the end be easier for you to find a friend with an iTunes allowing this download, than finding the older GTN trainer for pc which is not available online anymore!

[edited]

Also it is true that the latest post 2016 WW navdata doesn't carry runways less than 4000' which is easily fixed by using either the AMR database (Americas) or the Euro database, depending on your flying region.

I won't respond to PMs or send/share files, but all of that can be achieved by googling and using your brains and free tools.

Good luck.

[edited]

2 hours ago, DaedalusX said:

Also it is true that the latest post 2016 WW navdata doesn't carry runways less than 4000' which is easily fixed by using either the AMR database (Americas) or the Euro database, depending on your flying region.

Are you talking about the $195.00 version that I found?

3 hours ago, DaedalusX said:

Lets just say if you had a Garmin G600 on your private plane, which uses the GNS 530/430W database, in North America, you'd use this file from Garmin: https://avdb.garmin.com/jg600-amr-1710.exe

Unfortunately, my GNS does not know what to do with this navdata file.  :huh:

I extracted the navdata from the TAW file, renamed it to Worldwide.bin - but, no cigar..

My GTN is OK with it, however.  :cool: