Sign in to follow this  
damlays

I have Very Interesting and Mysterious "LOW FPS PERFORMANCE problem"

I have Very Interesting and Mysterious "LOW FPS PERFORMANCE problem" in FSX Acceleration.

Interesting, because my system doesn't have a low configuration, and I tried many different performance tweaks.

BUT in my all tries I always got a terrible performance as "My Average FPS: 6.150 - Min: 4 - Max: 8"  (measured by FRAPS)!

I’ve never reached an average FPS even 8 or above until now!

MY SYSTEM :

-          Intel Core i7-2600K CPU 3.40GHz

-          Mainboard Big-Bang Marshal (MS-7670)

-          RAM 20 GB 1333 MHx

-          NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950

-          Windows 7 x64

WHAT I TRIED :

-          HIGHMEMFIX , [BUFFERPOOLS], [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask, WideViewAspect=True, [TERRAIN] LOD_RADIU, , [MAIN] FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT …. I tried them (and more tweaks which didn’t write here) one by one or in different combinations…by playing with different values… BUT THE RESULT of FPS was NEVER AFFECTED!

-          “NVIDIA Inspector” settings for FSX

-          UIAutomationCore.dll placed in program folder for x64 system

-          Changed FSX quality settings from “Ultra High” to “High” or “Medium”

-          I closed other time and CPU consuming software like Antivirus, Dropbox etc before FSX starts

BUT NONE of THEM GAVE ANY LITTLE INCREASE in FPS… It was still around only 6 or 7 per second!

So I could not solve this mystery. I don’t know what makes my FSX performance terrible!

I feel like something in computer is decreasing the performance very much before everything, so any other tweak settings cannot make any effect after that. But what can it be? I don't see any CPU consuming application in process list.

Anybody have an idea what to try after this point?

What screen resolution are you using? What level of traffic do you have set? Do you have antialiasing set and, if so, what level? Do you use vsync, and, if so, what type? Do you monitor the CPU and GPU load whilst FSX is running? What version of FSX do you use?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

FSX Accelaration is running. For trying to see the result, I am decreasing all the settings you told to minimum (or off) but FPS is not increasing.

I checked with Process Explorer and nothing special seen, no other applications is consuming CPU when FSX is running.
System Idle Process is usually between 60%-90%
FSX is between 10%-35%
Others are usually 1% or less

Have you tried monitoring the CPU and GPU load whilst FSX is running as I suggested above? You can use MSI Afterburner to do this. After installing it, go to Settings (the gear wheel) and under the Monitoring tab tick GPU temperature, GPU usage, Memory usage, CPU1 temperature, CPU1 usage and CPU usage (which just gives an average figure for all cores). The monitored values will show up in graphs at the bottom of the Afterburner window and cover a period of about 10 minutes. If you run FSX for that sort of time, you should be able to see if anything is running at 100% and limiting your performance.

Have you tried using the internal FSX FPS display to see if that confirms what FRAPS is showing you? Use Shift-Z when in flight (you may have to press it a couple of times).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 hours ago, damlays said:

UIAutomationCore.dll placed in program folder for x64 system

Hopefully you did not do this!  The uiautomationcore.dll is a system file and part of the Microsoft.net package.  There is a recommendation to place a really old version of the uiautomationcore.dll in the main folder of FSX and it must be the 32-bit version as FSX is a 32 bit application.  This is probably what is destroying your performance.  See page 6, AVSIM CTD Guide for link to proper version of uiautomationcore.dll to download and other information. 

Since you indicated you placed the uiautomationcore.dll in the folder for 64-bit systems, I would run a System File Check and check for corrupted or missing files.  Go to the CMD prompt and type in sfc /scannow and then hit enter.

Getting 6-7 fps with your system means you have something seriously wrong with FSX.  See AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for proper settings.  I would rename or delete the fsx.cfg and let it rebuild.  You have a tweak in there that is bringing your system to its knees and crying uncle.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm not clear on the following:

Is this a new FSX-Acceleration install?

If not, how was performance before the problem began?

What if any additions/changes did you make to your FSX installation just prior to the slow-down?

What FPS is FSX reporting with FRAPS not running? (press and hold the Shift key and hit the Z key 3 times)

My system is very similar to yours except the i7-2600k is OC'd to 4.7 but I have a slower video card (GTX580). I have never gotten more than 10-12 FPS while running FRAPS.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

48 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Have you tried monitoring the CPU and GPU load whilst FSX is running as I suggested above?

Yes, as I wrote I monitor CPU consumption with Process Explorer (https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/process-explorer-portable)

I didn't use MSI Afterburner 

As I wrote , while FSX is running

FSX is between 10%-35%
Other apps  are usually 1% or less

Or do you mean another thing?

Did I misunderstand something?

53 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Hopefully you did not do this!  The uiautomationcore.dll is a system file and part of the Microsoft.net package.  There is a recommendation to place a really old version of the uiautomationcore.dll in the main folder of FSX and it must be the 32-bit version as FSX is a 32 bit application.  This is probably what is destroying your performance. 

No, this is not the reason which destroys performance. Because this was just one of the things which I tried after all my other solution trials failed. 

Later I deleted this file again when I see it is not giving any solution.

Many times I tried to delete fsx.cfg too..Any of the tweaks I tried were not giving any result.

Yes there is a serious performance problem, but although I tried many things, I have still zero idea about the reason :(

9 minutes ago, damlays said:

Yes, as I wrote I monitor CPU consumption with Process Explorer

I'm not familiar with Process Explorer - does it show individual core performance or just a single, average CPU figure? Does it show GPU usage over time? The reason I recommend Afterburner is that you can set a number of different parameters (like temperature and performance) for various components to be monitored and subsequently displayed for a reasonable period of time.

53 minutes ago, coa1117 said:

I'm not clear on the following:

Is this a new FSX-Acceleration install?

If not, how was performance before the problem began?

What if any additions/changes did you make to your FSX installation just prior to the slow-down?

What FPS is FSX reporting with FRAPS not running? (press and hold the Shift key and hit the Z key 3 times)

My system is very similar to yours except the i7-2600k is OC'd to 4.7 but I have a slower video card (GTX580). I have never gotten more than 10-12 FPS while running FRAPS.

I directly installed FSX-Acceleration just after FSX installation, so there was no "before". I saw this problem after fresh installation.

But I can say that I made the exactly same installation to my laptop, which has lower configuration  (and almost same software is installed on that computer). I didn't see this kind of problem. FPS is around 18-20/s in my lower configuration laptop.

As a test, I am exchanging (crossing) fsx.cfg files between Desktop and Laptop, and again I see Desktop has 6-7/s FPS, Laptop has 18-20/s FPS. 

With or without Fraps FPS is same.

7 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

10 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I'm not familiar with Process Explorer - does it show individual core performance or just a single, average CPU figure? Does it show GPU usage over time? The reason I recommend Afterburner is that you can set a number of different parameters (like temperature and performance) for various components to be monitored and subsequently displayed for a reasonable period of time.

I tried to upload image here, but cannot see the button .

I hope this link https://ibb.co/e3YpM5 can show the image.

16 minutes ago, damlays said:

while FSX is running

FSX is between 10%-35%
Other apps  are usually 1% or less

Was the FSX figure when you were flying (and not paused) or just in the menu screen as it seems very low?

These figures don't necessarily give the whole picture, though. They don't show how well individual CPU cores are performing. On my old system, some apps showed my CPU to be at about 55% load whilst running FSX but I occasionally had performance issues. When I had these issues and looked at the individual cores, one of them was almost always at 100% and that was what was causing the problem. You need to monitor the performance of all of the cores and not just how much processor time individual processes are using. It's often difficult with some apps to see the actual performance because you often have to switch FSX from full-screen to windowed (which uses less CPU load) to see the instantaneous results whilst in flight. Also, FSX may be set to pause when you look at an external program which would, again, reduce the load.

That's the beauty of Afterburner. You can fly around in FSX, full-screen, then later look at graphs of the performance and temperatures that were recorded for both your processor and graphics card for the period that you were flying with low FPS. It helps rule out hardware problems as the source of your poor performance.

4 minutes ago, damlays said:

I hope this link https://ibb.co/e3YpM5 can show the image.

Unfortunately, my browser says that the the security certificate for that site is not valid and won't let me view it!

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

That's the beauty of Afterburner. You can fly around in FSX, full-screen, then later look at graphs of the performance and temperatures that were recorded for both your processor and graphics card for the period that you were flying with low FPS. It helps rule out hardware problems as the source of your poor performance.

I will try with afterburner.

But before that now checked Windows Task Manager/Performance Tab. I can see 8  graphs of CPU there.

Sometimes some of them can reach to 100% but it is rare and short time.

Usually their average is between 20% - 60&. And still FPS is is under 8/s.

But I realized one thing, when I fly out of the cities FPS can increase up to 14-15/s

This made me thing about something can be wrong about scenery/texture settings..

4 minutes ago, damlays said:

But I realized one thing, when I fly our of the cities FPS can increase up to 14-15/s

This made me thing about something can be wrong about scenery/texture settings..

That's normal. Turn towards a large city when you're in flight and you'll see your FPS drop. The sim is having to work much harder to create all the extra detail you see.

Did you mention what screen resolution you're using?