Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Removing ALL static aircraft in X-Plane 11

How do we convert our X-Plane installations to take full advantage of coming traffic add-ons? WT 3 is about to be released, so I am facing the daunting task of removing all static aircraft from my X-Plane installation. WT 3 will easily fill up all airports with actually living planes, so there's really no need for static AC's anymore. Actually, they will quickly become a disturbance due to spawning issues. I identified three categories of airports:

1. X-Plane Gateway
I will do nothing to these and hope that with time, all updated airports will support turning off static AC and thus be static AC free at one point without me having to do anything.

2.  Freeware
I think some devs like Mister X, NAPS, TDG or X-Codr will provide updates to their popular sceneries, improving X-Plane 11 support (allowing us to deactivate the static AC in the settings). For some, this already works, but many major sceneries such as KLAX (Mister X) and KJFK (X-Codr) still don't react to the static AC setting. And then there's a bunch of classic freeware that has baked in statics but is otherwise good. Those golden oldies probably won't see another update, but wouldn't it be nice if we kept them around for another little while.

3. Payware
Should be easy if devs provide updates (some of my payware such as Aerosoft's LSZH and KDFW are already updated), but older scenery that already has a history of bad support (in general all payware airports that still require you to turn off sloped runways) will probably never see an update thus leaving us with baked in static AC until judgement day.

So from categories 2 and 3 I am looking at roughly 30 sceneries that probably won't be updated by anyone soon. So for these, I am planning to remove static AC one by one via WED. So my question is, is there a better way than removing plane by plane in the 3D preview in WED? Is there another solution that is less tedious?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'm not sure what features are going into WT3, but perhaps if they provided a way for airport authors to provide them with static airplanes per airport, then it would be something worth considering. e.g. I don't want to see  N registration Cessnas everywhere at my GA airport in the UK. This is one reason why static aircraft are good, as they make the airport feel more authentic (When done correctly).

The best suggestion I think is for Airport authors to design airports with and without static aircraft. Providing two scenery files to disable them or enable them.

Regarding 2 and 3. The only way I can think of is to use a library to essentially remove all static LR aircraft from all airports, and manually edit those custom ones

Another solution would be to ask World Traffic to generate ground routes for free stands only. I know t works already in WT2 since ground routes are generated manually. I think there are options in WT3 to do so.

I have that problem with WT 2 already. I just open the overlay editor and delete the static planes if possible, it's a bit tedious but over the years I've deleted most of where I fly to. I must admit I don't like them anyway even if I'm not running WT.

• Upvote 1

On 16.9.2017 at 2:28 PM, Glenn_C said:

I have that problem with WT 2 already. I just open the overlay editor and delete the static planes if possible, it's a bit tedious but over the years I've deleted most of where I fly to. I must admit I don't like them anyway even if I'm not running WT.

Thanks! I use overlay editor now and it's much easier comapared to using WED.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I have downloaded the overlay editor and was wondering if there is a tutorial avail on how to delete the static aircraft that wont dissappear even when "show parked aircraft" is unchecked in XP11 I am referring to the file YPPH_Scenery_Package avail from X-Plane website

If I dont use the above scenery package and just use the default Global airports YPPH, the static aircraft still remain even when "show parked aircraft" is unchecked in XP11

Cheers Chris

10 hours ago, Premier said:

I have downloaded the overlay editor and was wondering if there is a tutorial avail on how to delete the static aircraft that wont dissappear even when "show parked aircraft" is unchecked in XP11 I am referring to the file YPPH_Scenery_Package avail from X-Plane website

If I dont use the above scenery package and just use the default Global airports YPPH, the static aircraft still remain even when "show parked aircraft" is unchecked in XP11

Cheers Chris

Well to be 100% they are not baked into the scenery you can (After first having made a backup)

1. Open the Overlay Editor

2. Click Open scenery package icon

3. Select the Global scenery (You can navigate around using shift + arrow keys) once it's loaded.

4. Zoom in to an airport with your scroll wheel

5. If there are aircraft baked in select aircraft and delete.

6. Save the file

Thanks for your reply Glenn_C. I will follow these instructions and see if I can get rid of them!  Thanks  Chris

Edited by Premier