Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Alaska - The Inside Passage

Motivated by my recent Alaska trip, I could do an Inside Passage route next week.

Places we have all been, but very pretty nevertheless.

Suggest Ketchikan to Skagway, via Sitka.

PAKT-PAWG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY

Bert

329 NM overall, so 150+ knots should work.

The airports all handle Alaska Air 737s, as best I know..

I may give my TBM 850 a workout..

Bert

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will switch aircraft in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Sitka was my favorite place... a little bit out of the way maybe, but worth the flight..

Bert

Yup. Sitka is well worth the visit.  I ammended the list.  Did not mean to drop it.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Excellent idea! 737 and DC-6, even better!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Ron,

Nothing to anxious about, a week is plenty of time for you to become proficient on your new NGX.  :smile:

26aLetj.png

11 hours ago, jt_williams said:

Ahhh.  This sounds like fun.  I would like to recommend that we add Johnson Petersburg to the itinerary: PAKT-PAWG-PAPG-PASI-PAJN-PAGY.

All but Skagway have 737 service by Alaska Airlines.  I don't think Skagway (PAGY) gets any big jets.  From Wikipedia: "There have been landings at this airport by small jet aircraft, but rarely."

So I will use the PMDG 737 for first five airports.

PAPG_1.jpg

PAPG_2.jpg

And will use the switch in Juneau to the super STOL DC-6B for final jaunt up to Skagway.

PAJN1.jpg

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I guess I am going to get my Phenom 300 serviced and fueled up, if I want to keep up with you crowd.. the TBM850 is not going to cut it :blush:

Bert

23 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Skagway is tiny. I live in the area and I've only ever seen light aircraft. You should look at Haines airport PAHN.  If flying larger consider Whitehorse CYXY. Its only a 100 miles from Skagway and can take 747's and its covered in Orbx SE Alaska.

You are right, we need to rethink Skagway.. either skip it, or switch into a Feeder Airline leg.

Bert

Nice trip suggestion.  What's the total estimate flight time? 2 hr give or take?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020