sosuflyer

Problem I've never seen before-spinning 77W

Recommended Posts

Just encountered an issue I have never seen before.  When approaching the WARDZ waypoint on the BEREE1 Star at KDFW, my airplane suddenly starts spinning and banking at a rate of about 360 degrees/second.

I thought that MAYBE it was a spike in controls causing it to go haywire, so I recreated the flight, and it happened at the exact same time. Here is what I have going on for this flight:

FSX:SE

KMIA-KDFW Departure Time 1700z

WINCO2 WINCO J43 LBV DCT SRQ DCT REDFN Q105 HRV/N0486F360
J58 PEBBY DCT PNUTS BEREE1

ZFW-524000

TOW-582350

Activesky Next - set to sim time- Sept 15, 1700z departure

No other addons other than up to date AFCADS from Avsim that I've been using for a while already.

Recently updated to AIRAC 1710 from Navigraph, so maybe that's the problem.

Anyone up for recreating? I'm about to start this same route, same time with the 737. If that plane does it, then it might be Navigraph. 

I've been flying this plane for years, so this is a very odd problem i've never seen. 

Thanks 

Oh, and after this happens, I enter slew mode to correct the attitude of the airplane, then it flies for a few seconds, then spins again, and then my sim freezes, while also looking like its trying to refresh the view constantly. After that I just end FSX.exe in the task manager.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Check the aileron trim, sometimes a saved panel state will end up with a corrupted trim value.  I've had it happen on rare occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll check,  but this happened on a new flight from scratch twice, no saved flight loaded. I did the flight again today but used the FORNEY arrival instead even though it was less efficient (dfw landing south) and nothing bad happened this time.  Thinking it's a navdata thing.  I'll do another repeat with BENEE1 again later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sosuflyer said:

I'll check,  but this happened on a new flight from scratch twice, no saved flight loaded. I did the flight again today but used the FORNEY arrival instead even though it was less efficient (dfw landing south) and nothing bad happened this time.  Thinking it's a navdata thing.  I'll do another repeat with BENEE1 again later

Navdata cannot create problems that you described.... navdata is only a bunch of text data that is loaded into the FMS to provide navigation.  Has nothing to do with flight.  Regardless, next time you get an uncommanded roll look at trim first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had something similar happen once where the hardware lever on my Saitek quadrant which I use for deploying speed brakes somehow got reassigned to ailerons unbeknownst to me.

Everything was going well in descent until I decided to pull the lever fully back to add drag. It was quite an... "exciting"  moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sosuflyer said:

Just encountered an issue I have never seen before.  When approaching the WARDZ waypoint on the BEREE1 Star at KDFW, my airplane suddenly starts spinning and banking at a rate of about 360 degrees/second.

 

Do you use EZDok?  Were you in any turbulence?  Has happened to me.  I turn off all effects but engine vibration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i gave that flightplan a spin and didn't really see anything unusual like the behavior you described.

it may be worth noting that there was an FMC calculated decel spot just before WARDZ. perhaps that points to an errant control surface being triggered by the speedbrakes keys like Jim B. mentioned above. but it would seem odd that you wouldn't have noticed that happening right when you clicked it, from your description it sounded more randomly appearing.. 

good luck

cheers,-andy crosby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, downscc said:

Navdata cannot create problems that you described.... navdata is only a bunch of text data that is loaded into the FMS to provide navigation.  Has nothing to do with flight.  Regardless, next time you get an uncommanded roll look at trim first.

I mean yeah,  i figured navdata shouldn't be doing that, having been a flight simmer since 1998, just trying to trouble shoot and look at everything since I've never seen this before.  I'll check the trim next time. 

7 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Do you use EZDok?  Were you in any turbulence?  Has happened to me.  I turn off all effects but engine vibration.

No ezdok. Active sky next turbulence is set to 20/100 value.  

30 minutes ago, spesimen said:

i gave that flightplan a spin and didn't really see anything unusual like the behavior you described.

it may be worth noting that there was an FMC calculated decel spot just before WARDZ. perhaps that points to an errant control surface being triggered by the speedbrakes keys like Jim B. mentioned above. but it would seem odd that you wouldn't have noticed that happening right when you clicked it, from your description it sounded more randomly appearing.. 

good luck

cheers,-andy crosby

Thanks for actually trying it.  I didn't command anything when it happened,  i was actually watching a video on my phone,  so my joystick was centered,  nothing was touched,  and suddenly it starts spinning like crazy lol.  I did the flight again with the 737, BEREE1 arrival,  no problems.  Ill try it again with the 77W and check the trim and stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sosuflyer said:

No ezdok. Active sky next turbulence is set to 20/100 value.  

Hmmm...I wonder if it could be something caused by some 'enhanced turbulence' setting in ASN then.  I rarely fly with ASN anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Hmmm...I wonder if it could be something caused by some 'enhanced turbulence' setting in ASN then.  I rarely fly with ASN anymore

I have "enhanced tirbulence" un-checked. Seen too many people complain about it to risk trying it.  

I did the exact problematic flight again this morning,  and guess what?  No issues at all lol!  Don't know what I did different,  but oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sosuflyer said:

I have "enhanced tirbulence" un-checked. Seen too many people complain about it to risk trying it.  

I did the exact problematic flight again this morning,  and guess what?  No issues at all lol!  Don't know what I did different,  but oh well

I've had it happen to me in other aircraft from time to time.  I doubt it has anything to do with the 777, per say.  Pretty random.  Maybe worth digging further into what's happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, just came across this topic here and I guess it quite matches to what I am encountering for some weeks now, sorry for somewhat reopening this thread here.

So it seems that after having installed the latest version for the PMDG777, the aircraft always starts spinning and rotating like crazy on approach at about 6-8nm from the runway threshold (so about 2000-2500ft AGL), after having deployed gear down. The cockpit turns all red due to G-Forces, and when switching to external view, I can see the aircraft rotating quickly in air while falling down like a stone until reaching the ground, keeping on spinning there as well, so that I am forced to end FSX and start the flight all over again. I tried to figure and rule out what could be the cause for it, but haven‘t found a solution. My weather engine (AS16) is set with only minor turbulence effects (20/100), without enhanced turbulences. Trims are ok and normal, as they should be. I conduct my approaches, especially until 1500AGL, always with AT and autopilot on. Hardware is installed correctly and is calibrated with the newest version of FSUIPC. Otherwise, I also have VFX installed for 777 immersion and already tried to reinstall the PMDG through the Operation Center. Other addons installed are GSX, Pro ATC/X and Orbx Base.

What strikes me is the fact that it only happens on approach at 2500AGL after having deployed gear down and only in the vicinity of default airports. Never encountered the issue while landing in Flytampa‘s EHAM for instance. 

Keeping my fingers crossed anybody can help me out with that. Today I made a flight fron EHAM to VHHH after having completely reinstalled my whole FSX:SE with all addons, with the hope that the problem vanishes, but nope 😞

kind regards and thanks in advance, 

Timo Piechatzek

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silvercrane said:

Keeping my fingers crossed anybody can help me out with that.

Too bad the OP didn't post their solution. Perhaps PMDG Product Support knows the story, create a support account and submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Not all of them when to Vegas so you should get a response in 24 hr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, downscc said:

Too bad the OP didn't post their solution. Perhaps PMDG Product Support knows the story, create a support account and submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Not all of them when to Vegas so you should get a response in 24 hr.

Ok thanks for the hint, I will do so and see what they tell me. Anyway, if they find the solution, I will post it here so that others with a similar problem can benefit 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar problem a few years back in my FSX days. Turned out to be my REX weather engine and the problem disappeared when in I disabled it. I switched later to Active Sky and have never had the problem since. I see you already have AS but I think it's worth poking around in the weather settings, both in FSX and AS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now