Sign in to follow this  

Twin Star DA-42 Engine "Upgrade"

On 25 November 2017 at 7:21 PM, simonduemila said:

Hi Ganter! PM sent!

Check your messages Simon. All the best.

Jim

Applied this "upgrade" to the DA-42 today... makes a huge difference, much more enjoyable to zip around in this bird now!!!

Tip on the the cap to Ganter!!!

Hawkeye

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

thank you very much Ganter!

now this is a update that should be included on the alabeo website

finally a engine that gets the DA42 to the correct speeds we see in youtube videos. you can see the increase in power already on taxi, and cruise is quite (a lot) better, i used to cruise it at ~120-145kias on VFR alts (with unrealistic power setings(80-90%/checklists and other instructional stuff says 75%power for cruise), but now the 75% power setting produces a realistic 165kias in cruise on 4500ft

i tried mine in crosswind takeoff and landing, and the rudder is way better aswell.

only thing i noticed was the G1000 flickering red speedtape, as if the AOA was incorrect on climbout, but then, that's the limitation of fsx, i guess.

thank you very much Ganter! great cfg edit !

7 hours ago, RegY said:

thank you very much Ganter!

now this is a update that should be included on the alabeo website

finally a engine that gets the DA42 to the correct speeds we see in youtube videos. you can see the increase in power already on taxi, and cruise is quite (a lot) better, i used to cruise it at ~120-145kias on VFR alts (with unrealistic power setings(80-90%/checklists and other instructional stuff says 75%power for cruise), but now the 75% power setting produces a realistic 165kias in cruise on 4500ft

i tried mine in crosswind takeoff and landing, and the rudder is way better aswell.

only thing i noticed was the G1000 flickering red speedtape, as if the AOA was incorrect on climbout, but then, that's the limitation of fsx, i guess.

thank you very much Ganter! great cfg edit !

Thanks Reg, glad you're pleased.

I'm not sure about the flickering red speed tape issue you're having - I haven't observed that this end. Don't forget - the increase in power will put you in quicker/ closer proximity to the Vne speeds of the real world DA-42 - so take care not to start nudging those with the increase in power.

Yep, crosswind Takeoffs and Landings will feel more controlled with the increased prop wash over the rudder.

Clear Skies dear fellow and a Happy New Year!

Jim

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for your "upgrade" ! This plane had sleeping in my hangar for while. Not any more !

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Jim

Thank you for sharing this upgrade .cfg file.  Finally got round to testing it out and it feels so much better, its not over powering, just enough I feel.  Thanks again.

Jason Dilley

So I fly the DA42-VI in real life. The performance at known power settings is well reflected in this mod. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Thanks Ganter for quickly sending the upgrade. I really like the way the 42 fly now, it feels very close to what I would expect. The rudder is a little bit better but it was always touchy and I don't have pedals so the twist grip of the joystick may make it so.

Again thanks for the great work.

Ron

1 hour ago, rwilson881 said:

Thanks Ganter for quickly sending the upgrade. I really like the way the 42 fly now, it feels very close to what I would expect. The rudder is a little bit better but it was always touchy and I don't have pedals so the twist grip of the joystick may make it so.

Again thanks for the great work.

Ron

The rudder on this airplane is strange, it seems as though you add enough correction to stop yaw, then in completely goes the opposite direction. I don't know why and I wish Alabeo would fix it

17 hours ago, WPatriot2 said:

The rudder on this airplane is strange, it seems as though you add enough correction to stop yaw, then in completely goes the opposite direction. I don't know why and I wish Alabeo would fix it

I'm working on it!

Determined to fix the rudder issue - but it's taking a lot of time to tweak. Fixing Alabeo FD .cfg's involves throwing away the original and starting from scratch. My original engine mod .cfg improves matters - in so much that you don't have to deflect as much as you did with their original model - which results in inevitable over-controlling - but, there's always room for improvement.

I'll hopefully post a modified .cfg soon. But hey, I'm Ganter - so don't hold your breath!

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, ganter said:

I'm working on it!

Determined to fix the rudder issue - but it's taking a lot of time to tweak. Fixing Alabeo FD .cfg's involves throwing away the original and starting from scratch. My original engine mod .cfg improves matters - in so much that you don't have to deflect as much as you did with their original model - which results in inevitable over-controlling - but, there's always room for improvement.

I'll hopefully post a modified .cfg soon. But hey, I'm Ganter - so don't hold your breath!

That's awesome that you are fixing it. I don't know why the plane does it. I think it has something to do with the nose wheel.

• Like 1

Just love this aircraft so I’m really interested in your update.

PM sent and thanking you in advance for all your hard work.

Cheers,

Nathan 😃

Nathan Ford (The Wonder Dog)

Thanks Ganter for your mod for the alabeo DA-42 Power mod

I haven't had time to fly it a lot yet but it now performs the way I would expect it to.

I have RealAir's LanceAir Legacy which looks very much like it, and is equipped with a 300 or 400 hp

engine so the performance is now much closer to expectations

Great Job

N7985E

Yes I did at one time own a Aircraft

Now I fly my Computer for fun

Thank you so much for the upgrade Ganter, she flies beautifully. More like the DA-42 videos I have been watching on YouTube.

Thanks again for sharing with us.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan Ford (The Wonder Dog)

Ganter,

How might I get your cfg file? I just bought the DA-42 and it is truly underpowered. I was going to give up on it and stay with the DA-40, until this thread. It looks like there is hope after all.

Thanks, Duane