Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

A basic step-by-step guide to Ortho4XP for Windows.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION:

1) Download the latest version of Ortho4XP from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cjjwu92mausoh04/AACt-QzgMRwKDL392K_Ux3cPa?dl=0 (126MB total as of current v1.20b version)

1a) Optional: if you have already downloaded an old version of Ortho4XP, you can just download the updates to the binary files from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f63e2dal8wll0uo/AACAYeUDKSkTy1oSZDvab0n8a?dl=0 (put the updated binary files in the Ortho4XP "bin" folder)

2) The current version is self-contained, so you do NOT need to download additional modules like Python, etc.

2) Extract the zip file in a folder

3) Open the newly created Ortho4XP folder, go to the "Install/Win64" folder, and install the VC++ Redistributables (you might get a prompt if your PC already has them installed)

USE:

1) Open the "bin" folder and run the Ortho4XP exe ("Ortho4XP_v120b.exe" for the current version)

2) Choose the Latitude and Longitude of the tile you want to process (remember it's the latitude and longitude of the lower left corner of the tile, positive values are for North/East)

zjiAJdo.jpg

3) In the "Base source" entry, choose a provider for the orthophotos. Keep in mind the quality and availability of orthophotos varies for each provider. As of current version, the selectable providers are (the list is contained in the "Carnet_d_adresses.py" file):

-------------------------------------------------------------

"BI": Bing maps

"GO2", "GO", "g2xpl_8", "g2xpl_16": Google maps

"Here": Here.com

"Arc": Arcgis Online

"OSM: Openstreetmap

"USA_1", "USA_2": The National map (USGS)

"ASK_1", "ASK_2": The Alaska Statewide Orthoimagery Mosaic

"FR", "FRom": National geographical institute for France   

"FRsat", "FRsat2", "FRsatp": National geographical institute for Francem Low resolution

"Top25": National geographical institute for France Just for fun over topo map

"DE": German Geo Data Centre - DOP Online

"SP": National geographical institute for Spain

"IT", "IT2": National geographical institute of Italy

"SE2": National geographical institute of Sweden

"Hitta": Sweden Hitta

"SE": Sweden Eniro karta

"PL": National geographical institute of Poland

"NO", "NO2": National geographical institute of Norway

"DK": National geographical institute of Denmark

"BE_Wa": National geographical institute of Belgium (Wallonie only)

"NE": National geographical institute of the Netherlands (lufoto2005)

"NE2": National geographical institute of the Netherlands (dlnk2014)

"SLO": Geoportal Slovenia

"CRO": Geoportal Croatia

"OST": National geographical institute of Austria

"CH": Swiss Federal Geo Portal

"CZ": Mapy.cz CZ

"AU_1": Australia South Wester territory : Sixmaps

"NZ": New Zealand

"JP": Japan 2007 imagery

"FO": Kortal.fo (Farao Islands)

"EST": Estonian Geoportal

"F44": La Loire atlantique vue du ciel

"GE": Geneva area Visible on ge.ch/sitg

--------------------------------------------------

QjWIfaZ.jpg

4) Choose the "Base zoomlevel" for the Orthophotos

5) Click on "Step 1: Build vector data"; wait while Ortho4XP downloads and processes data, until the message "Completed in XXXsec" is visible on the right panel

eUcNCYq.jpg

6) Click on "Step 2: Build base mesh"; wait while Ortho4XP downloads and processes data, until the message "Completed in XXXsec" is visible on the right panel

7) Click on "(Step 2.5: Build masks)";

8) Click on "Step 3: Build Tile"; wait while Ortho4XP downloads and processes data, until the message "Completed in XXXsec" is visible on the right panel

9) Open the "Tiles" folder, you will find a folder named "zOrtho4XP_XX+XXX"

10) Move the newly created "zOrtho4XP_XX+XXX" folder to the "Custom Scenery" folder of X-Plane

11) Enjoy the newly created custom scenery.

• Upvote 9

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Simply Superb, and only comparable to the torque fix :-)

Thank you Murmur - now no one will have an excuse not to Ortho4XP her/his own scenery anymore.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks, that's indeed a great post. Should be bundled with future versions of Otho4XP, if any.

Kind regrads, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I suggest that a Mod changes the title of this thread to the color RED, and in BOLD.  Then people having issues or questions would have their attention drawn to it.

I haven't been able to find a good explanation as to when I would want to switch the base source. It's pretty obvious if I am looking for countries other than the US but apart from that it's not clear to me when I want BI as opposed to "GO2", "GO",.. Is there anything explaining this online?

Thanks,
Dan

10 hours ago, DanStro said:

I haven't been able to find a good explanation as to when I would want to switch the base source. It's pretty obvious if I am looking for countries other than the US but apart from that it's not clear to me when I want BI as opposed to "GO2", "GO",.. Is there anything explaining this online?

Probably the best thing you can do is to visit the website of the specific provider (e.g. bing maps, google maps, etc.) so you can compare the actual orthophotos between them and choose.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I am interested in creating some photoreal scenery using ortho4XP. I was watching a video online and it sais I need python for windows. This tutorial doesn't say anything about python, so do I need it or don't need and where do I get it? What is the difference between this and HD mesh4?

George Lee

Asus Maximus Hero IX Motherboard, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Geforce GTX 1080, Corsair 16Gb memory, Corsair case, Corsair PSU

25 minutes ago, Best said:

I am interested in creating some photoreal scenery using ortho4XP. I was watching a video online and it sais I need python for windows. This tutorial doesn't say anything about python, so do I need it or don't need and where do I get it? What is the difference between this and HD mesh4?

The latest releases of OrthoXP (as of the date of the original post) do not need installing Python anymore.

OrthoXP is used to create photorealistic scenery (satellite photos), while HD mesh is a higher definition terrain mesh, but uses default X-Plane textures based on some sort of landclass (similar to FSX default scenery).

In other words, with OrthoXP you will see the real terrain (like in Google Earth), while using HDmesh you will see the default XP textures, but the shape of the terrain will be more detailed, so mountains will look more defined, the border of forests or of cities will look more detailed, etc.

You can't use both at the same time (although you can easily swap between them changing the scenery_packs.ini file).

Thanks for the detail info. It's quite easier to create orth4XP than I thought it would be.

George Lee

Asus Maximus Hero IX Motherboard, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Geforce GTX 1080, Corsair 16Gb memory, Corsair case, Corsair PSU

Hi i always have a problem at step 1. is always stop at  Recycling OSM data for way["natural"="water"]["tidal"!="yes"]

whatever i do. I looked at videos and it continues after that with everyone i have no idea what is? some sometimes i get the DONE and stops there if i press step 2 it says You must first build OSM data !

Tile 1 / 1

Step 1 : Building OSM and patch data for tile +36-121 : 
--------

-> Downloading airport and water/ground boundary data from Openstreetmap :
    Obtaining OSM data for way["aeroway"="aerodrome"]
     Done.
     A total of 141 node(s) and 10 way(s).
       *      Eagle Field
       *      Willett Field
       *      William Robert Johnston Municipal Airport
       *      Coalinga Municipal Airport
       * KMAE Madera Municipal Airport
       * lat=36.0013873 lon=-120.9018370
       *      Firebaugh Airport
       *      Gallisons Dos Palos Airport
       * lat=36.5817330 lon=-120.3530300
       *      Avenal Airport
    Obtaining OSM data for rel["aeroway"="aerodrome"]
     Done.
     A total of 0 node(s) and 0 relation(s).
    Obtaining OSM data for way["aeroway"="heliport"]
     Done.
     A total of 0 node(s) and 0 way(s).
    Recycling OSM data for way["natural"="water"]["tidal"!="yes"]

thanks for helping

I have exactly the same issue as Deadraque above. It doesn't matter whether I choose Bing or OSM or whatever, it always stops in the same place.

Get the same error message "You must first build OSM data" when click build base mesh after building vector data.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Deadraque said:

Hi i always have a problem at step 1. is always stop at  Recycling OSM data for way["natural"="water"]["tidal"!="yes"]

whatever i do. I looked at videos and it continues after that with everyone i have no idea what is? some sometimes i get the DONE and stops there if i press step 2 it says You must first build OSM data !

Tile 1 / 1

Step 1 : Building OSM and patch data for tile +36-121 : 
--------

-> Downloading airport and water/ground boundary data from Openstreetmap :
    Obtaining OSM data for way["aeroway"="aerodrome"]
     Done.
     A total of 141 node(s) and 10 way(s).
       *      Eagle Field
       *      Willett Field
       *      William Robert Johnston Municipal Airport
       *      Coalinga Municipal Airport
       * KMAE Madera Municipal Airport
       * lat=36.0013873 lon=-120.9018370
       *      Firebaugh Airport
       *      Gallisons Dos Palos Airport
       * lat=36.5817330 lon=-120.3530300
       *      Avenal Airport
    Obtaining OSM data for rel["aeroway"="aerodrome"]
     Done.
     A total of 0 node(s) and 0 relation(s).
    Obtaining OSM data for way["aeroway"="heliport"]
     Done.
     A total of 0 node(s) and 0 way(s).
    Recycling OSM data for way["natural"="water"]["tidal"!="yes"]

thanks for helping

I had that same problem, but I was using "batch build" to create 2 orthos, as i've seen on several tuts on youtube, in a single click. I only get to create them one by one following all 4 steps... batch build isn't working for me.

This will probably be a very noobish question, but I clicked on "Earth Tile Map" above "Tile coordinates", and then held shift and selected a bunch of tiles (western Europe). Then I clocked on "Toggle all stuff" and ticked the boxes under "build multiple tiles at once".... Then I clocked on Batch Build, and all the tiles I selected disappeared. Can anyone help me?

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.