Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Project Cars: VR & Settings Tips

So, after a rocky initial start, i've come to actually like Project Cars, but only after learning a few things about it, to tame the savage beast, so to speak.

The first thing I hated about the game was the car handling: It seems stiff and twitchy, and for a long while I was very unhappy with the entire "Feel" of the game. Now I find that this is not an uncommon sentiment, and apparently the game was optimized for use with a steering wheel, and NOT AT ALL for a joypad type controller!

This means that when it was released for PS4, it got horrible reviews by people who found it nearly uncontrollable, and unfortunately those issues were apparently never corrected. Only by trial and error were users able to come up with acceptable joypad controller settings, and I include them below, as a start. Mod from there to your own tastes, if you wish.

Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30

Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50

Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30

Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering: 50

Force Feedback: 100 
Advanced: Off

Secondly, was a bit of what I felt might be FPS issues in VR, as I was barely able to maintain a steady 90FPS even in just 2D. Again, a search of the web found that this issue has been recognized as well, and there are available user settings to address this. Again, feel free to mod to your own tastes, and based on the capabilities of your system: I hope somebody out there finds this helpful!

VISUAL FX

w200gi7satp7.jpg

PERFORMANCE

fpaeeqtba14s.jpg

HARDWARE

nfuo8uiv9tca.jpg

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thank you, I will give those settings a try.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Ok, tried your settings and they work great, thanks. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Back in the days when i used to play Pcars 1 in VR the two big things you could do to improve FPS massively was...

A) Turn off detailed grass (which you have done)

B) Turn of the crowds. You have to do this in the startup shortcut with the "-skipcrowds" parm.

BTW, I went through Beta testing of Pcars2 and spent a lot of time playing the release version of Pcars2 last night. I must confess I was a massive fan of Pcars 1 when it was first conceived... however I still think Assetto Corsa is by far the best VR racing sim. Out of the box you will find it lacking compared to Pcars, however it is just like P3D, in that underneath there is a solid simulator... and it is also an open platform so you can add loads of add ons (which you can't do in Pcars).

I have no problems with fps with most settings on ultra but I bought the new Pcars 2 and found VR looks worse (to me) than Pcars 1. 

Pcars 2 has rainbow effect and edge crawling on lines bad enough so that I put six hours into trying every possible setting with no luck. Game looks great on monitor but not in VR. 

Pcars 1 has very little of those problems and video looks smooth in VR so what happened?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 hour ago, warbirds said:

I have no problems with fps with most settings on ultra but I bought the new Pcars 2 and found VR looks worse (to me) than Pcars 1. 

Pcars 2 has rainbow effect and edge crawling on lines bad enough so that I put six hours into trying every possible setting with no luck. Game looks great on monitor but not in VR. 

Pcars 1 has very little of those problems and video looks smooth in VR so what happened?

Don't have it. The reviews seemed iffy, so I'm on the fence.

Did find this thread though: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/838030-project-cars-2-vr-issues-solved-read-thread-for-more-informations/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks but I don't have any problems with fps,,only with bad shimmering and edge crawling...looks worse than any VR game I have tried so far. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 minute ago, warbirds said:

Thanks but I don't have any problems with fps,,only with bad shimmering and edge crawling...looks worse than any VR game I have tried so far. 

I took a look around the web, but couldn't find anyone else with that exact problem.... In fact the consensus seems to suggest that PC2 looks better than its predecessor in VR.

Do you have the latest video drivers?

Devons rig

I just downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and will test it later today, thanks.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I can confirm I have shimmering on Pcars2... and yeap it is worse than pcars1 (vr wise)

My favorite track is Monza. All through the Pcars 1 beta and public release the first overhead gantry has always shimmered on this track. It has remained shimmering all the way through Pcars2 beta... however the public release of Pcars2 has shimmering everywhere!

Like I said, Assetto corsa is the way to go

Ironically, I never played the release version of PCars 1. I was an early backer though, and so I had played the betas right up until release. And through whatever strange financing scheme they originally had going, I was getting semi regular deposits into my paypal from the sales of PCars 1, the last being 6 Euros back in June. :happy: When it released, I figured out that as a backer you didn't actually automatically get a copy of the finished game, so I never bothered to buy it, since there were other sims that I liked more.

And now with my Rift I'm still pretty much exclusive on Assetto Corsa. (Well, and Dirt Rally for when I want to do that kind of stuff.) I do wish the menus and whatnot were better implemented in AC for VR use, but performance wise it's rock solid.

But competition makes everything better, so I'm glad to see that PCars 2 has found a foothold as well.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.