Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

Southwest Florida International Airport (KRSW, Fort Myers, FL) approach question

An odd question (perhaps from an odd member? :biggrin: )

Looking at the approach into runway 6 ILS at KRSW, gives me a possible transition of "RSW".

That FIX is right on the airport itself. Is that unusual? Furthermore, the next FIX is TROPC at a holding pattern at 3000 feet.  I don't recall the last time I ever used a transition with a runway approach, but I found that a bit odd?

As the RSW VORTAC is located on the field it makes an easy transition. These were once very common if the terrain and navaids allowed it. The transition flies you onto the localizer outbound and you should be "cleared for the approach". At TROPC you execute the mandatory holding pattern reversal and go right back in for the ILS.  Just another way to get there "own nav", with the added benefit of allowing the controller to be lazy.

Cheers.

Lee Adams

JAFO