Sign in to follow this  
Jihong Min

Questions about weather radar

I have two problems with the weather radar, but I couldn't find it is malfunction or normal.

1. Range

The weather radar doesn't show any information outside of 80nm perimeter. But I know the real 777's weather radar is more capable than that.

Is it normal in pmdg 777's implementation?

2. Response time(Delay in between each sweep time)

Previously I asked about it, but somehow that topic was removed. 

I uploaded this video back then.

There are delays between each radar sweeps that shouldn't be there. I checked several videos recording real 777 and pmdg 777's weather radar, and there are no delays.

I reinstalled everything many times, and no help. I really want to know the solution to this problem.

Answers to Q1:

yes, the real 77W RDR-4000 radar does show information beyond 80nm range (so as the conventional wx radar on the older 777 models), however the wx information shown will not be as accurate as those shown within 80nm unless the storm is huge. And anything shown beyond 160nm can be disregarded in practically unless we can see it outside the windows.

Answers to Q2:

The refresh rate of the radar on the real airplane is indeed slightly quicker. 

I wouldnt be too worry about this weather radar feature in flight sim at home. nothing beats the real thing. 

However, based on your video, I personally think it is acceptable for a flight sim software at home from a pilot's perspective.

And my guess is by increasing the reality of weather radar simulation would put too much stress on the software platform which may kill the previous frame rate of the game.

7 minutes ago, Driverab330 said:

Answers to Q1:

yes, the real 77W RDR-4000 radar does show information beyond 80nm range (so as the conventional wx radar on the older 777 models), however the wx information shown will not be as accurate as those shown within 80nm unless the storm is huge. And anything shown beyond 160nm can be disregarded in practically unless we can see it outside the windows.

Answers to Q2:

The refresh rate of the radar on the real airplane is indeed slightly quicker. 

I wouldnt be too worry about this weather radar feature in flight sim at home. nothing beats the real thing. 

However, based on your video, I personally think it is acceptable for a flight sim software at home from a pilot's perspective.

And my guess is by increasing the reality of weather radar simulation would put too much stress on the software platform which may kill the previous frame rate of the game.

I will just live with Q1 part if this simulator designed to be like this.

But for Q2 I have seen many videos filming the weather radar on "PMDG 777", and those except mine works just like real planes.

That says, my radar response is even slower than other's pmdg 777. In fact, other PMDGs' weather radar are just fast as real one which I saw on youtube.

The weather radar information comes from Active Sky and that will only produce weather data for the cloud draw distance you have selected. That defaults to 90 nm. You could try extending the cloud draw distance, ensure 'detail' is also selected in AS, to see if the weather radar draws more distant returns. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

I see your point. 

I will kindly leave it to the tech guys here to answer your question, because I personally never use wx radar on PMDG. 

Cheers ; ) 

Just now, kevinh said:

The weather radar information comes from Active Sky and that will only produce weather data for the cloud draw distance you have selected. That defaults to 90 nm. You could try extending the cloud draw distance, ensure 'detail' is also selected in AS, to see if the weather radar draws more distant returns. 

If you are saying AS's Map part, in detail mode the maximum range is 90nm. I already tried this but whether it's in detail mode or not, it seems that doesn't affect the sim's radar range.

4 minutes ago, Jihong Min said:

If you are saying AS's Map part, in detail mode the maximum range is 90nm. I already tried this but whether it's in detail mode or not, it seems that doesn't affect the sim's radar range.

Well there's the answer. 90 nm is the maximum range Active Sky produces weather radar information. So that is all PMDG can display. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just now, kevinh said:

Well there's the answer. 90  nm is the maximum range Active Sky produces weather radar information. So that is all PMDG can display. 

Ok. That's fine. If it desinged to be like that, I'm fine with it.

But how about Q2? Any suggestion will help.

I think you can adjust PFD and ND refresh rates in the CDU. That might also affect how the weather radar updates.

ki9cAAb.jpg

5 minutes ago, kevinh said:

I think you can adjust PFD and ND refresh rates in the CDU. That might also affect how the weather radar updates.

I adjust the PFD/ND refresh rates to unlimited(--). But it's basically same.

I've always assumed the refresh rate for the wxr was driven exclusively by the weather engine.  PMDG is only displaying the data provided by the weather engine, it has no control over range, accuracy or refresh.  HiFi has a very good support system, I recommend you ask your questions over there.

Dan Downs KCRP

21 hours ago, downscc said:

I've always assumed the refresh rate for the wxr was driven exclusively by the weather engine.  PMDG is only displaying the data provided by the weather engine, it has no control over range, accuracy or refresh.  HiFi has a very good support system, I recommend you ask your questions over there.

Thanks for the advice. You mean the forum on their site, not on Avsim right?