Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Is SLI using VRAM afterall in V4?

Hi simmers. 

After reading some of you seeing VRAM as high as 8-10gb i could not quite get it to match my setup. I am using GTX970's for now in SLI. Tried KLAX FSDT with ftxsca and the DC6 down to FTX KSAN. 

Also EDDM to FTX LOWI in the DC6 with high resolution textures and LOD maxed out. 

KLAX KSAN was a slideshow close to airports and saw VRAM above 4GB on both cards occasionally. Otherwise 25fps FL100  

Could anyone with 11gb cards test in this area and with the above scenerys? 

382.33 (SLI seems good. Havent tried newer ones)

4K 3840X2160

I7@4770K(4.9-4.7-4.6-4.6)HT OFF

DDR32400 16GB 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I found a 980ti on eBay last week for 150 gbp second hand and decided to get it to be able to go sli with my original 980ti I bought 2 or 3 years ago (for 600 gbp)

You'll need to set up your system for it.  But overall I have seen an increase of 8 to 10 fps in high sceney areas such as egkk and egll and in the air an increase of 20.  

I can also now run In 4K with no blurries or stutters using sli. 

Downside to it I also play rainbow 6 siege and its not sli compliant.  So I have to switch the ndivia profile each time I play it.  

But as mentioned I have seen an increase in proformance with 2 980ti in sli.  

14ppkc-6.png

Glad for you but my interest is mostly about VRAM SLI vs single card in this topic 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

SLI with 4gb card its 4gb not 8gb

thats the reason a went from 980SLI to 1080SLI and now 1080TI single card

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, westman said:

SLI with 4gb card its 4gb not 8gb

thats the reason a went from 980SLI to 1080SLI and now 1080TI single card

Yeah Thanks. I notice FPS  struggle with high resolution textures when VRAM gets above 3.8-4.0GB. Strange thing though is that the GPU doesnt seem to struggle with the loading itself. Really crispy textures mostly. 

Guess a 1080TI has more power than  two 970's.

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Thanks,

As a compromise i think i will try TML2048 instead of 4096. Same goes for VC textures as well.

Love those High resolution textures

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Anything over about 3.5 vram usage on a 970 (970 sli) will tank (Used to have 970 and 970 sli) as the last half gig of vram on a 970 is much slower memory. This wasn’t the case on the 980 and upwards. Google 4gb vram on 970 and you will find loads about it. It was a bit of a scandal at the time of release.

Adjust your settings to use less vram. 4k with 970s is very possible as it is a powerful card. It just lacks in the vram area so make allowances with texture size. In sli it will throw around tessalation, lighting and everything else so long as you don’t overburden it with huge textures.

Sold both and use 1080ti now.

Chris

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

Anything over about 3.5 vram usage on a 970 (970 sli) will tank (Used to have 970 and 970 sli) as the last half gig of vram on a 970 is much slower memory. This wasn’t the case on the 980 and upwards. Google 4gb vram on 970 and you will find loads about it. It was a bit of a scandal at the time of release.

Adjust your settings to use less vram. 4k with 970s is very possible as it is a powerful card. It just lacks in the vram area so make allowances with texture size. In sli it will throw around tessalation, lighting and everything else so long as you don’t overburden it with huge textures.

Sold both and use 1080ti now.

Chris

Thanks alot , did not know about those last 0.5gigs on 970´s.

What is your conclusion with that GTX1080TI ? are you on 4K as well ?

What CPU are you feeding it with ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Yes 4k. Using a 7600k at 4.5GHz and 16ghz of 3200 ram. With orbx England, MT6 and as2016 and a2a Cherokee I get around 30fps with everything maxed except buldings and trees cast shadows.

In the pmdg 737 I have I have toned down the autogen to dense to maintain over 30 and tbh I'm leaving it like that as it means it is much smoother when flying GA.

Chris

25 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Yes 4k. Using a 7600k at 4.5GHz and 16ghz of 3200 ram. With orbx England, MT6 and as2016 and a2a Cherokee I get around 30fps with everything maxed except buldings and trees cast shadows.

In the pmdg 737 I have I have toned down the autogen to dense to maintain over 30 and tbh I'm leaving it like that as it means it is much smoother when flying GA.

Chris

Sounds nice Chris, 

My main target with this SLI setup that i have is @25fps (PMDG´s and A2A as well) which can be sustained in 4K but i will have to look at that 3.5GB VRAM for sure now :blush: (TML2048 and low shadows) (Thats just makes my SLI setup  - only handy in overcast with AA)

Guess your system can handle Ultra resolution textures which is very very nice indeed

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I was running twin 1070's in SLI with a 7700 @ 5ghz on a 4K monitor and had no real issues other than I was not able to get the highest resolution textures without really stressing the system. Sold the 1070's and have a 1080ti - it hardly breaks a sweat.

Depending on what type of flying, what type of scenery and what type of add-ons you will get decent results from SLI but the video memory lack will be the bottleneck.

Now, 1080ti's in SLI - that might be another matter. :biggrin:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I was running twin 1070's in SLI with a 7700 @ 5ghz on a 4K monitor and had no real issues other than I was not able to get the highest resolution textures without really stressing the system. Sold the 1070's and have a 1080ti - it hardly breaks a sweat.

Depending on what type of flying, what type of scenery and what type of add-ons you will get decent results from SLI but the video memory lack will be the bottleneck.

Now, 1080ti's in SLI - that might be another matter. :biggrin:

Vic

Well put and thanks for the 1080TI analyzis. 

It might seems that my 4770K@4.9-4.7-4.6-4.6 can put up with the 1080TI? at least for a while.

Now its explanation to wife time. Oh Boy. :bengong:

Thanks Michael Moe  

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png