Sign in to follow this  
Werner747

How hard a landing is very hard in a 747?

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2014_q4/pdf/AERO_2014q4.pdf

Start at Page 15. it tells you all you need to know. Boeing philosophy and policy is to rely on pirep for hard landing reporting. Generally 1.4g to 1.8g vlf is the limit. Anything below 1.4g vlf would mean just the basic check is done. Above 1.4g vlf, generally phase 1a and 1b etc etc.

i regularly land in the 300-400 fpm sink rate range. It's hard to land on a needle like runway properly. I'm sure many simmers would land in the 150fpm range if they were to fly the real deal. It's a bit like driving a car in a game, it doesn't compare to driving the real thing.

Brian Nellis

As part of the certification process the B747 can be safely landed at 6 feet per second at MGTOW and 10 feet per second at MGLW. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

How is this landing fps Measured? As the bottom surface of the wheels touch the tarmac and go to 0 FPM, the seat cushion passenger interface is still at 200 FPM!

The struts contract spreading out the deceleration. It this how much the deceleration  is spread out that you feel. Remember, you never notice the 1800 FPM from altitude.

7 hours ago, KevinMM said:

How is this landing fps Measured? As the bottom surface of the wheels touch the tarmac and go to 0 FPM, the seat cushion passenger interface is still at 200 FPM!

The struts contract spreading out the deceleration. It this how much the deceleration  is spread out that you feel. Remember, you never notice the 1800 FPM from altitude.

Vertical speed (from memory) comes from accelerometers around the aircraft and its data is sent to the computers.

What is a seat cushion passenger interface?

No, you do not generally notice sink or climb rate once this rate is established, you do however feel the changes. If you go from 1800fpm sink rate to 2500fpm sink rate suddenly without compensating for the change in g, you'd feel it. Same for when the aircraft roll's, you feel the changes.

As a further note, students should NEVER put achieving a "greaser" above landing in the touchdown zone with normal attitude.

There are so many YouTube videos, so so many, where this is not done. The students realise that they need to get 150fpm, for whatever reason, and risk tail strike by using abnormally high nose up pitch with a flare that extends beyond the touchdown zone. This would have to be my biggest criticism of all the videos on YouTube.

Brian Nellis

What I normally do is use the proper approach speed, and at 20 feet go to idle and raise the nose just a degree or two.   That results in excellent landings, however, as I said I think I hit some sheer on those last ones.   I am seriously contemplating getting ASN to avoid getting caught out by those nasty sheer buggers on finals!

Regards

• Upvote 1

You know what they say. A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one where you can reuse the airplane afterwards.

A more practical way to determine if the landing was a bit firm without becoming overly involved in "sink rates", etc. is to open the cockpit door.  If all the" carry on trash" has fallen out of the overhead bins is laying in the aisle and the stew is standing there with her panties around her ankles inquiring, "who made THAT one?" then, yes, it probably wasn't a greaser! 

• Upvote 1

stew is standing there with her panties around her ankles

Anything's possible Kevin. Depends on the almighty sink rate!  The overall effect would be very slow and hostile service to the cockpit for the rest of the trip...........

• Upvote 1

If Atlas drops the globe it was too hard!:laugh:

9cac0d9bffc6eaf15ed4afef69697e5f.jpg&sp=

• Upvote 2

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

On 9/19/2017 at 1:33 PM, Werner747 said:

What I normally do is use the proper approach speed, and at 20 feet go to idle and raise the nose just a degree or two.   That results in excellent landings, however, as I said I think I hit some sheer on those last ones.   I am seriously contemplating getting ASN to avoid getting caught out by those nasty sheer buggers on finals!

Regards

Anything below 3ft / sec will be very good landing on the jumbo. 

If you want to guarded against those sinking shear below 50ft, try this:  at 30ft call out begin to raise the nose first, at 20ft call out being to reduce the thrust to idle.

sometimes flaring at 20ft on the jumbo at a very high land weight just do not give sufficient time for the airplane to arrest its sink rate hence resulting 300-400fpm sink rate at touch down. 

At max landing and high approach speed, sometimes you may need to initiate your flare at 40ft call out but slow with the pitch up. And keep the thrust on for a bit if you feel a sinking shear. 

FSX or inside a simulator is hard because in real life you can feel the airplane is dropping. 

Have fun 

• Upvote 1

Landing once on an extremely wet runway post typhoon at Kai Tak I was given to understand it was a procedure to get the wheels spinning, and not aquaplaning down the runway, which at Kai Tak could result in the plane ending up in Kowloon Bay. This happened on a few occasions. 

Bernard Walford