Sign in to follow this  
itay5344

What will be the next airplane from PMDG ?

On 9/20/2017 at 10:39 AM, paulopp said:

Does it really matter what PMDG will do next? PMDGs' fanatic fanbase will buy whatever they release, on release day of course. It's the A**le effect.

Some people will sure, but with the prices the better end add-on aeroplanes for flight sims are now averaging, plenty of people are thinking twice before hitting that buy button nowadays. I'm sure many of us have been guilty of buying every new toy that comes out for flight sims, but eventually you come to realise that if you ain't gonna fly it, you probably shouldn't buy it.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 minutes ago, Chock said:

Some people will sure, but with the prices the better end add-on aeroplanes for flight sims are now averaging, plenty of people are thinking twice before hitting that buy button nowadays. I'm sure many of us have been guilty of buying every new toy that comes out for flight sims, but eventually you come to realise that if you ain't gonna fly it, you probably shouldn't buy it.

Isn't that the truth!  I bought so many and now I've nearly stopped.  We have the luxury of flying so many models and the end result is you can fly many in an okay fashion and not many well.  For myself, I've been flying the same three for quite some time and even that's a challenge.  NGX, Turbine Duke, (rarely) Flight1 Mustang.  Every so often I switch one out and proceed on.  Rarely do the new models approach the quality of the NGX and Turbine Duke and, if I was flying in the real world with just those I'd be over the moon happy.  I really like just focusing on airplanes, getting as good as I can on them and feeling like I'm reasonably competent in various situations.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 hours ago, Guevorkyan said:

RSR likes 4 engines.

It's going to be a Jetstar

4 engines...B29.

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Guevorkyan said:

RSR likes 4 engines.

It's going to be a Jetstar

RSR is a smart Captain, he (unfortunately, to his and my own sighs) understands that Lockheed Jetstars and other 4 engined beauties (the DC-3 included in that list unfortunately.) aren’t what most people want in the simming world. They all want these fancy glass cockpits with big LCD displays. Meh, the 777 is the boundary of what I can fly on a regular basis. (I rarely fly the FSL A320 - great replica of the real thing, but busses don’t grab my attention like the Boeing’s do.) I fly the Queen more often but that is not much compared to how much I fly the NGX and the Q400!

7 hours ago, Boomer said:

4 engines...B29.

Boomer, you and I think alike. You are pushing for a MD-11 (with its laughably small stabiliser :tongue:) and a 767. I presume you also like the 757? In my eyes, you have a good taste in aircraft. (That is subjective, Airbus fans, please do not kill me.)

Edited by Guest
Better phrasing.

I cannot believe that the Jetstream would have sold more units than the MD-11 during the FSX era.  How is that even possible?  It's such a random aircraft.  Yet the J-41 has made it back into P3DV4.......who even flies those anymore?  (no-one needs to data mine the answer)

I still think that it's not inconceivable that we'll see the MD-11 again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

I cannot believe that the Jetstream would have sold more units than the MD-11 during the FSX era.  How is that even possible?  It's such a random aircraft.  Yet the J-41 has made it back into P3DV4.......who even flies those anymore?  (no-one needs to data mine the answer)

Agreed... which leads me to believe, that there's more to the story, than 'just' sales numbers... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

The J41 was a technology test bench, like the DC-6B. Sales numbers are therefore less important, as Kyle has often stated in threads like this. The J41 also happens to have been an aircraft RSR flew. PMDG make sims of aircraft they collectively like, in the near certain knowledge that PMDG customers will like them too. Hence the continued and welcome support of the J41.

My guess is that the MD-11 doesn't tick all the same boxes for PMDG as the J41 does. It would be a mammoth task to remake to current PMDG standards for predictably low commercial returns. It also would mean something else, possibly of more interest, would NOT get made.

ki9cAAb.jpg

50 minutes ago, kevinh said:

It also would mean something else, possibly of more interest, would NOT get made.

Cant imagine what that would be...

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, kevinh said:

The J41 was a technology test bench,PMDG make sims of aircraft they collectively like, in the near certain knowledge that PMDG customers will like them too. Hence the continued and welcome support of the J41.

My guess is that the MD-11 doesn't tick all the same boxes for PMDG as the J41 does. It would be a mammoth task to remake to current PMDG standards for predictably low commercial returns. It also would mean something else, possibly of more interest, would NOT get made.

I know the J-41 was a test bench, but lets be honest, the options for heavy iron are extremely limited.

Baring a remake of existing PMDG aircraft, and unless we start thinking beyond 'airliners',   what else is likely from PMDG in the short/medium term.....?

The  ugly but highly intelligent Airbus family - highly unlikley

The MD-11

787 - possible but Quality Wings though....

737 - we know it'll be done

777-x - 

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

I know the J-41 was a test bench, but lets be honest, the options for heavy iron are extremely limited.

Baring a remake of existing PMDG aircraft, and unless we start thinking beyond 'airliners',   what else is likely from PMDG in the short/medium term.....?

The  ugly but highly intelligent Airbus family - highly unlikley

The MD-11

787 - possible but Quality Wings though....

737 - we know it'll be done

777-x - 

You said "barring a remake of existing PMDG aircraft" then listed the MD-11, which would be a remake. Also saying the Airbus is ugly is highly subjective, even in this "Boeing friendly" zone. I happen to think the 737 is uglier than any Airbus. But that's only my opinion, I'm not stating it as fact. It hasn't stopped me being a customer for the PMDG 737 three times over, excluding expansions.

I think we can safely assume the 737MAX and 777X will get made. Hopefully the 777-200ER will also appear. Surely this thread should be about what else people might like, assuming PMDG have spare capacity to make something else.

Given the very demanding conditions Boeing places on release of 787 data I think any PC based 787 sim requires a significant degree of reverse engineering. QW are clearly prepared to do this. I'm not sure PMDG are.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

Quality is releasing a 787 but it's more of a shallow survey sim.

spacer.png

It doesn't look that shallow from the previews, but it isn't PMDG depth for sure. And the 787 is incredibly complex, so even producing a shallow sim is a challenge.

ki9cAAb.jpg