Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

The best CPU for flying with the VR headset

Hello,

I currently have an i5 6600K (that I can't overclock because when I purchased my MOBO, I took a MSI H170 Gaming M3, and with this one, no OC, so I'm stuck with 3,50 ghz, and I think that it's not enought for the VR because sometimes it's realy hard for me on P3D or XP11 to get the 30 FPS ad have something confortable if I want good graphisme

So, I though about buying an i7 7700k (with 4,2 ghz stock), is it worth the upgrade? Will the perf be really better with this CPU??

Regards

23 minutes ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Hello,

I currently have an i5 6600K (that I can't overclock because when I purchased my MOBO, I took a MSI H170 Gaming M3, and with this one, no OC, so I'm stuck with 3,50 ghz, and I think that it's not enought for the VR because sometimes it's realy hard for me on P3D or XP11 to get the 30 FPS ad have something confortable if I want good graphisme

So, I though about buying an i7 7700k (with 4,2 ghz stock), is it worth the upgrade? Will the perf be really better with this CPU??

Regards

Have you tried running the steamvr performance test to see where your current CPU sits? http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Have you tried running the steamvr performance test to see where your current CPU sits?

Absolutely not, I'll try, thank you for the idea

We are weeks away from the release of the 8700k. That is the one Ill be getting! Buying a 7700k now seems a little bit puzzling.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

31 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

We are weeks away from the release of the 8700k. That is the one Ill be getting! Buying a 7700k now seems a little bit puzzling.

And what will be the perf of this one vs a i5 6600K Will I gain lot of power / FPS?

Well everything indicates that the 8700k will have better IPC performance than the i7700k (around 10%) and also 2 extra cores to reduce the load on the main core for parallel activities. While singe core performance is still king for gaming/simulation/VR, having more than four core should be something that becomes more relevant sooner than later.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

18 hours ago, tgcbraun said:

I was ready to jump for a new i7 7700k and a 1080ti, your comment delayed the take off. Guess waiting a few weeks till 8700k is released won´t hurt too much.

Thanks tgcbraun!!

Cheers 

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

On 19/09/2017 at 2:03 PM, tgcbraun said:

While singe core performance ....

Sorry guys - but don't ya just love a typo now and then?

I can almost smell the molten bakelite already..... :biggrin:

I wonder if LM will re write the simulator code to make use of all the cores in the new 8700?

As CPU architecture leaps ahead, our flight simulators appear somewhat stuck in the past.

The CPU/GPU market seems fixated on "Games"....but we want our flight simulators to look as good too!

Regards

For me its all about the bang for buck. If money is no option, you may want to wait for the 8700... but then again what real life performance gain (in a VR flight sim ) does the 8700 bring over anything else... does anyone know yet? 

The original poster has not mentioned which graphics card he has. Depending on that, it could be a more worthy upgrade to change the GPU?

I think its always dangerous to start making recommendations without a holistic view of spec, budget and exacting sim needs.

Also, the bottom line is always...

wait until xxxx, there is something better coming out.

1 hour ago, flibberflops said:

For me its all about the bang for buck. If money is no option, you may want to wait for the 8700... but then again what real life performance gain (in a VR flight sim ) does the 8700 bring over anything else... does anyone know yet? 

The original poster has not mentioned which graphics card he has. Depending on that, it could be a more worthy upgrade to change the GPU?

I think its always dangerous to start making recommendations without a holistic view of spec, budget and exacting sim needs.

My cpu is only slightly faster, at 3.6 GHZ/7700, and I get way better performance in P3d and XP11.  My graphics card is a 1060, that may be a factor in the OP's performance.  I do scale down AI in P3d, but I haven't compromised on the other slider settings.  I have 8GB system ram and Win 10.

John

Well I can say I went from a 980 to a 1080 and the performance jump was massive (in VR)

Separately I went from a i5 to an i7 and the difference was small (in VR)

VR is different from flat screen sim, its all about the GPU.

32 minutes ago, flibberflops said:

Well I can say I went from a 980 to a 1080 and the performance jump was massive (in VR)

Separately I went from a i5 to an i7 and the difference was small (in VR)

VR is different from flat screen sim, its all about the GPU.

Most of our legacy sims are seriously CPU-dependant, and as a general rule there's little to be done about it. Even the latest Cpu's won't change the fps much from a well overclocked predecessor.....

For things that are more gpu dependant, like modern games using vr, a better gpu will definitely help though.

I know when I switched to a better cpu and a 1080 ti, pretty much nothing notable happened in FSX, and not much more in P3D. X-plane got a noticeable bump, and Aerofly went to lightspeed.

DCS 2.0 also responded nicely.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, flibberflops said:

I've got a GTX 1070, so I think that the best upgrade I can do is the CPU 

2 minutes ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

I've got a GTX 1070, so I think that the best upgrade I can do is the CPU 

What did the Steam VR tool say about your setup?

Devons rig