Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

The best CPU for flying with the VR headset

3 hours ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

I've got a GTX 1070, so I think that the best upgrade I can do is the CPU 

I have a GTX 1060 and I am getting great performance, but I don't know how much VR adds to that.  Since it expands what you see, the rendering will take longer, probably halving your fps.  It's a tipping point between CPU speed and GPU speed, and of course RAM makes a big difference, the more, the better to hold those textures.  RAM should be greater than 2GB on the graphics card, and at least 8GB on your main system.  The sims need RAM, they will take as much as you have.  When my old system started to fail, half my RAM slots died so I went from 8GB to 4GB.  I noticed an immediate difference in the sim, blurries came back and I had to live with it until I got my new system.  Only FS9 worked well, with its lower texture resolution.  FSX stuttered alot although it was workable.  So keep RAM in mind when you are making your decisions.  The more RAM, the smoother the sim flows.

John

Hi

Interestingly I ran the VR steam performance test. It gave me a quality score of very high

and said my system was performing well above recommended VR requirements.

Note I only have an old Sandybridge O/C at 4.6ghz and 8gb of RAM

my graphics card is a 1080gtx however

Nigel

2 hours ago, nigel day said:

Hi

Interestingly I ran the VR steam performance test. It gave me a quality score of very high

and said my system was performing well above recommended VR requirements.

Note I only have an old Sandybridge O/C at 4.6ghz and 8gb of RAM

my graphics card is a 1080gtx however

Nigel

With specs like that I would expect no problem.  I would run with just 4x AA though, anything to lower stress on the gpu, even lower if you have to.  Your specs soar above mine, yet I get good performance in a non-VR P3d environment.  I run at 3.6 GHZ and have a 1060gtx.  The only add-on that struggles seems to be the Carenado Premier 1, I get good performance with all other add-ons and if you visit the screenshots forum, you'll see good rendering both in P3d and Xp11.  With those shots, my fps is locked at 33fps.  My experience is quite smooth, with autogen in Xp11 and minus autogen in P3d.

John

21 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

With specs like that I would expect no problem.  I would run with just 4x AA though, anything to lower stress on the gpu, even lower if you have to.  Your specs soar above mine, yet I get good performance in a non-VR P3d environment.  I run at 3.6 GHZ and have a 1060gtx.  The only add-on that struggles seems to be the Carenado Premier 1, I get good performance with all other add-ons and if you visit the screenshots forum, you'll see good rendering both in P3d and Xp11.  With those shots, my fps is locked at 33fps.  My experience is quite smooth, with autogen in Xp11 and minus autogen in P3d.

John

I run a TV at 4K resolution and the FSL A320 so quite taxing for an old system. As you say I expect to run VR okay with this system, I think the

hardware challenges will be when VR goes to the higher resolutions

2 hours ago, nigel day said:

I run a TV at 4K resolution and the FSL A320 so quite taxing for an old system. As you say I expect to run VR okay with this system, I think the

hardware challenges will be when VR goes to the higher resolutions

Don't be afraid to lower your texture resolution to 2048x2048 if you haven't already done so.  My latest screenshots show what it looks like, I felt there was no real harm since my monitor only supports the 2K resolution.  A higher res monitor might show the difference, but when I fly in real life, 2K is about what I perceive anyway at my age.  Never bothered me when flying IRL, my instructor said I could always spot traffic before he could, since my vision is about 20x10 at a distance.

John

Here's a question for the gurus: Does the resolution that XP is displayed at on the parent monitor affect the displayed output in the Oculus HDM I wonder? Although displaying through a reduced 'Window' on my monitor (using FlyInside), do I actually need to run XP at my native monitor res of 2560x1440 since I am actually viewing XP in VR anyway?

On 10/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, J.L.Seagull said:

Here's a question for the gurus: Does the resolution that XP is displayed at on the parent monitor affect the displayed output in the Oculus HDM I wonder? Although displaying through a reduced 'Window' on my monitor (using FlyInside), do I actually need to run XP at my native monitor res of 2560x1440 since I am actually viewing XP in VR anyway?

As a general rule, the resolution in the headset and on the monitor have nothing to do with one another. In fact, it's better to save some system resources by turning the monitor to the tiniest windowed resolution you can get away with.

You might notice that while using Flyinside, the resolution you set in the program can enable supersampling in the headset but does nothing for your monitor.

I'm not quite sure of the relationship using the funky P3D native Vr mode, however.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5