Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Current Version?

What is the current version of FSW? Thanks!

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

46,000 copies sold to date and still rising. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Well, 46,000 copies owned, the Steam stats, or at least the ones available to the general public as opposed to developers, only show the amount of people who have it, but lots of those people got it from free by virtue of having owned Flight School. Still, it's quite a lot of people considering it isn't even released as a finished product yet and hasn't been aggressively marketed yet either.

Alan Bradbury

20 minutes ago, Chock said:

Well, 46,000 copies owned, the Steam stats, or at least the ones available to the general public as opposed to developers, only show the amount of people who have it, but lots of those people got it from free by virtue of having owned Flight School. Still, it's quite a lot of people considering it isn't even released as a finished product yet and hasn't been aggressively marketed yet either.

You are right on that one,

DTG FSX:SE steam version only over 900,000 copies in just over 2years

XPlane 10 64bit global cost free 75,000 copies on steam since 2014 

XPlane 11 36,000 copies 

AEROFLY FS2 22,000 released may 2016 still in early access addons available on steam DLC.

Raymond Fry.

I think the stats might be a bit misleading though, although they do perhaps relate at least to the ratio of Steam users interested in flight sims in general. As far as I'm aware, you don't actually need a Steam account to run XPlane (I only bought XP11 off Steam, every other version of it which I've ever bought was on disk), whereas you do need Steam with all the other sims there on your list, so I'm sure there are very many more XPlane users than that Steam figure would suggest, and there are almost certainly still many FSX users who don't use the Steam version, even though they probably would benefit from doing so.

Alan Bradbury

On 9/19/2017 at 0:02 AM, rjfry said:

You are right on that one,

DTG FSX:SE steam version only over 900,000 copies in just over 2years

XPlane 10 64bit global cost free 75,000 copies on steam since 2014 

XPlane 11 36,000 copies 

AEROFLY FS2 22,000 released may 2016 still in early access addons available on steam DLC.

It is pretty hopeless to compare the DTG and X-Plane numbers since the error margins are higher than 5.000, especially since steam is for X-Plane only a slight fraction of its real installed number. For X-Plane 10 there was for a long time only the DVDs, in X-Plane 11 you have to add the numbers that they sell on DVDs and as direct downloads via their own webpage or via aerosoft.

Steam users can´t use beta versions, DVD and direct download users can. It is even questionable if we can count FSX:SE as a separate release or as a part of the FSX users. So in fact you can only compare it with Aerofly.

On 9/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, Chock said:

I think the stats might be a bit misleading though, although they do perhaps relate at least to the ratio of Steam users interested in flight sims in general. As far as I'm aware, you don't actually need a Steam account to run XPlane (I only bought XP11 off Steam, every other version of it which I've ever bought was on disk), whereas you do need Steam with all the other sims there on your list, so I'm sure there are very many more XPlane users than that Steam figure would suggest, and there are almost certainly still many FSX users who don't use the Steam version, even though they probably would benefit from doing so.

There's probably no way to know the P3D numbers right? 

On 9/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Well, since Lockheed Martin make secret military stuff, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

You right but it just shows FSX:SE was a re-release of an old product and still sold 900,000 copies which is not including the boxed version which users had before 2015 , now if FSW can hit 1/4 of that in two years that's still over 200,000.

Raymond Fry.

2 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Who cares, you're on a Dovetail discussion topic! :happy:

22 hours ago, dtrjones said:

Who cares, you're on a Dovetail discussion topic! :happy:

Don't assume I'm pro P3D. I'm not. I don't own P3D. But be reasonable, if comparisons are being made to X-Plane, Aerofly, and FSX why wouldn't you also talk about P3D?

13 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Don't assume I'm pro P3D. I'm not. I don't own P3D. But be reasonable, if comparisons are being made to X-Plane, Aerofly, and FSX why wouldn't you also talk about P3D?

To put it simply: it's because P3D isn't a game. Further discussion on that subject is frowned upon...

On 9/21/2017 at 3:35 PM, A32xx said:

To put it simply: it's because P3D isn't a game. Further discussion on that subject is frowned upon...

Let's just say it isn't distributed via a game platform like the others.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

12 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Let's just say it isn't distributed via a game platform like the others.

I'm with you, all that discussion about what is a game or not is just pointless. It's all about how you use it, not the platform itself. 

But clearly P3D has the most different business model among all other platforms. I don't think LM is focusing on gamers/simmers. That's why I think my better chance to have the sim I want is sticking with DTG. 

• Upvote 1