Sign in to follow this  
sammy031

Voice Recognition Problems

I am having issues with voice recognition. Some phrases it hears and understands perfectly and others are just way off during the same flight. For instance, "Tower Skyhawk Three Lima Sierra is one five miles south at five thousand five hundred feet inbound for landing" was recognized as "Wilco Skyhawk Three Lima Sierra Squawk Nine Seven Five Thousand Five Hundred Four Local". As such I can never get Tower to give me any runway assignments or how to enter the pattern. (This was a VFR flight from KPDT to KALW).

I have been through the grammar help and training several times and it has always recognized what I'm saying. The simple phrases such as "Tower Skyhawk Three Lima Sierra radio check" and "Ground Skyhawk Three Lima Sierra ready to Taxi" are always understood.

I am using Windows 10 with a Turtlebeach PX22 headset.

So  Far I have used P2A for IFR flights only but I'm thinking that you may need to file a VFR flightplan, unless you are doing that now.  You could always change it Enroute and refile the flight plan if you want to change your destination.

Bill

PS

Loving this P2A program.  :biggrin:

Bill  N7IBG     

Try saying just part of the phrase.  For example "Skyhawk Three Lima Sierra is one five miles south for landing"

You can use the Grammar Helper Practice screen to see what phrases are most successfully recognized.  

Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I am filing VFR flight plans. I will play around more with the  Grammar Helper Practice screen and see what I find. Thanks!

Thanks for the link Bill, that will come in handy. I've found a phrase under Tower > Request > Approach that I am going to try out. It is the "<CallSign> inbound at <CurrentAltitude> for VFR Pattern Entry <Runway>". 

That is the closest phrase I can find to what would be said prior to entering Class D airspace to land. I'm looking for something like "Tower <CallSign> is <DistanceToAirport> at <Altitude> to land." I would expect a response to be the standard "Enter pattern on Left Downwind <Runway>, call downwind".  I'll let you know what I find.

1 hour ago, sammy031 said:

Thanks for the link Bill, that will come in handy. I've found a phrase under Tower > Request > Approach that I am going to try out. It is the "<CallSign> inbound at <CurrentAltitude> for VFR Pattern Entry <Runway>". 

That is the closest phrase I can find to what would be said prior to entering Class D airspace to land. I'm looking for something like "Tower <CallSign> is <DistanceToAirport> at <Altitude> to land." I would expect a response to be the standard "Enter pattern on Left Downwind <Runway>, call downwind".  I'll let you know what I find.

Good luck.  :biggrin:

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

I was able to make contact with the tower using the "inbound for VFR Pattern Entry" phrase. After playing around with the Grammar Help, I think that "<CallSign> to land" would also work. I'm thinking this is just a case of me needing to become more familiar with the phrases pertaining to VFR flight within the program. Thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction!

58 minutes ago, sammy031 said:

I was able to make contact with the tower using the "inbound for VFR Pattern Entry" phrase. After playing around with the Grammar Help, I think that "<CallSign> to land" would also work. I'm thinking this is just a case of me needing to become more familiar with the phrases pertaining to VFR flight within the program. Thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction!

I'm glad that that worked out for you.  The voice command cheat sheet was a big help for me.  I have found that less is 'more' for some of those calls.  :laugh:

Bill

Bill  N7IBG