Sign in to follow this  
614NLV

Hard Mute Request

Hi all,

Is there any chance to hard mute MCE? I know you can do it temporarily by pressing END or SPACE, but it's very uncomfortable if you use another voice recognition software, as in my case with FS2Crew.

If there is no such possibility today, I hope it can be implemented soon, because I think it is easy to code and with great utility. Soft Mute and Hard Mute, as FS2Crew  does.

Thank you and sorry for my poor english ;)

11 hours ago, 614NLV said:

Hi all,

Is there any chance to hard mute MCE? I know you can do it temporarily by pressing END or SPACE, but it's very uncomfortable if you use another voice recognition software, as in my case with FS2Crew.

If there is no such possibility today, I hope it can be implemented soon, because I think it is easy to code and with great utility. Soft Mute and Hard Mute, as FS2Crew  does.

Thank you and sorry for my poor english ;)

Nothing wrong wit your English.

The feature is already built-in, just not enabled by default.

To avoid new users going through the Demo scratching their heads why no speech is recognized (because they hit a key by accident), the feature must be explicitly enabled.

In "General" tab of MCE UI, click <More options>

Enable option "NumLock mutes reco".

After that, you press and release "NumLock" key, the keyboard button lights up and MCE suspends all speech recognition until you press and release again.

It's a toggle switch.

2 hours ago, FS++ said:

In "General" tab of MCE UI, click <More options>

Enable option "NumLock mutes reco".

thank you. I did not open that page because when I un/tick options, it often crashed MCE.

Now all goes right  ;)

Is the NumLock toggle effectively the same as turning off the mic symbol in the GUI?

When NumLock is set and if FO has Comms, would he still interact with RC4?

Only ask because I want to try running MCE through my headphones and XP11 through the default speakers, as the mic tends to pick up the speaker noise and confuses the FO! 

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

Is the NumLock toggle effectively the same as turning off the mic symbol in the GUI?

When NumLock is set and if FO has Comms, would he still interact with RC4?

Only ask because I want to try running MCE through my headphones and XP11 through the default speakers, as the mic tends to pick up the speaker noise and confuses the FO! 

Stuart

Yes, MCE never disables the Mic because you could need it for other apps.

What it does is suspend all speech recognition that MCE tasked the speech engine with. It can still recognize other applications speech.

FO mainly needs to see those captions (either on-screen or via the new interface using a file) to work out what to dial, when a reply is due and things like that. He doesn't use the speech reco partt which you use when transmitting to ATC yourself. Should work when NumLock light is ON..

Many thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

One other question, if you don't mind.

In X-Plane, whenever I use the PTT button myself to request clearance I don't get any response from RC4 initially, and have to repeat the PTT button press and request clearance again which then works.  Is there any parameters that can be changed or added in the ini file that could help resolve this.

Thanks for all your help.

Stuart 

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

2 hours ago, STUART_H said:

Many thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

One other question, if you don't mind.

In X-Plane, whenever I use the PTT button myself to request clearance I don't get any response from RC4 initially, and have to repeat the PTT button press and request clearance again which then works.  Is there any parameters that can be changed or added in the ini file that could help resolve this.

Thanks for all your help.

Stuart 

One thing comes to mind.

Since you have both lugins RC4toXPlane and PFEtoXPlane, only one of them can be activate at any given time.

Click X-Plane menu Plugins->PFEtoXPlane->Disable, then make sure the other plugin is enabled before attempting to connect RC4

On 28/09/2017 at 7:27 PM, FS++ said:

Yes, MCE never disables the Mic because you could need it for other apps.

What it does is suspend all speech recognition that MCE tasked the speech engine with. It can still recognize other applications speech.

FO mainly needs to see those captions (either on-screen or via the new interface using a file) to work out what to dial, when a reply is due and things like that. He doesn't use the speech reco partt which you use when transmitting to ATC yourself. Should work when NumLock light is ON..

I've tried the above NUMlock and it does seem to mute the mic, however when un-mutted to speak to FO or Cabin Crew, because of the sound from the external speakers, the FO doesn't always clearly hear the command correctly, or suddenly interprets the speaker noise as a command and often acts erroneously! Last time I was flying, he actually cleared the FMC and completely ruined my flight! 

Would it be possible, for certain critical commands (e.g. FMC, Engine shutdown etc), that the FO always asks for confirmation?

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

I've tried the above NUMlock and it does seem to mute the mic, however when un-mutted to speak to FO or Cabin Crew, because of the sound from the external speakers, the FO doesn't always clearly hear the command correctly, or suddenly interprets the speaker noise as a command and often acts erroneously! Last time I was flying, he actually cleared the FMC and completely ruined my flight! 

Would it be possible, for certain critical commands (e.g. FMC, Engine shutdown etc), that the FO always asks for confirmation?

Stuart

Hello there Stuart. Hmm, sounds like you need a set of big "cans"? :biggrin: I wear mine all the time, blocks out unwanted sounds, wife, girlfriend, Wilderbeast, next doors F16 taking off, etc. I wear the TIR as well so I have been told I look totally stupid, more stupid than usual! (She should wait till the Rift v2 comes out!

Seriously though, I think most critical commands have the confirmation but in. Even some non critical ones sometimes come with a confirm action query from the FO. 

Could be wrong though?

Regards

David

LOL 😀😁

I bet your FO has never suddenly cleared the flight plan from the FMC though! I think I'll sack him!

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

20 hours ago, STUART_H said:

LOL 😀😁

I bet your FO has never suddenly cleared the flight plan from the FMC though! I think I'll sack him!

Stuart

May I ask what you were flying? Our FO would have to press a few buttons, in sequence,  to clear the FMC?

Sometimes when I cough, my FO can reply with all sorts of interesting replies. "Cough" ......"My name is William, I already feel comfortable with you Captain, I'm sure we will have a good working relationship". "Cough"..."Ich bin Deiter". "Cough" ...."Say that again sir, you want the engines shut down"?  I have even had the FO give me the barometric pressure, runway length, weather report and winning lotto numbers, all by coughing!:blink:

All depends what the speech engine hears!   MCE brings the simulation to life, what a dull flight it would be without it. But when you think that the program is interpreting your requests in any way you say them it's a bit like Magic.

Of course it pays to keep the door to my flight deck locked! If anyone enters and sees me with my headset on, talking and laughing away to an AI person, they may draw adverse inferences as to my state of mind?

Happy days!:cool:

Best regards

David

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

It was the XP11 Peters Aircraft A320-214CFM.

Your right though, most of the time the FO comes out with some remarks. I find myself sometime getting annoyed with him!

I'm fortunate that being on my own, after my wife died in August, I only have the dogs barking to contend with whenever he's sees or hears something outside. Haven't yet had the FO say "who let that dog in the cabin" though !!!

Happy flying too,

Cheers,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

16 minutes ago, STUART_H said:

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Your right though, most of the time the FO comes out with some remarks. I find myself sometime getting annoyed with him!

I'm fortunate that being on my own, after my wife died in August, I only have the dogs barking to contend with whenever he's sees or hears something outside. Haven't yet had the FO say "who let that dog in the cabin" though !!!

Happy flying too,

Cheers,

Stuart

Condolences Stuart.

Maybe it's the grief that's taking its toll (even though it happened almost 2 months ago), while you're trying hard to suppress it.

At least you're into flight simulation. It helps fight loneliness for sure. Time "Flies"

You can cut the banter with regards verbiage used by Fo to request confirmation, by turning option "talks a lot" in "Advanced options" panel.

After that, you'll just get "confirm" XXX instead of "would you mind to confirm" XXX or other random variation.

David,

Many thanks for your kind sentiments. I have a dog to keep me company and my children & grand children live nearby, so not short of loving support. And yes, flight simming definitely provides a distraction.

Thanks for the "talks a lot" tip, I'll definitely give that a try.

Cheers,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

9 hours ago, STUART_H said:

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Happy flying too,

Cheers,

Stuart

Adding to the condolances expressed by Gerald, I must say that when you fly with MCE and ATC you never feel alone. I think it's such a great antidote to life's worries, it has saved my peace of mind on more than one occasion. Another reason, if anyone needed one, to have MCE as the number 1 add on!

On the FMC wipe issue, I don't fly XP any more, I thought it couldn't be on the NGX or Mjc, you would need a few complex keypresses to effect a flight plan wipe.:blink:

Per Ardua ad Astra!

• Upvote 1