Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

LPV guidance not showing using GPS500

issue: when using GPS500, not getting the LPV guidance, GNS530 shows the LPV guidance.

this one is easy to replicate, go to KTKI rwy17 and tune to ILS, should see the loc/gs needles and activate RNAV17, should also see LPV needles sitting at the end of rwy.

using GPS500, no gs when ILS is tuned, regardless of the nav/gps switch if LinkVor = true.  if LinkVor=false, then ILS gs needle appears.  RNAV needle does not show up regardless of nav/gps switch or LinkVor setting.

using the GNS530, if CDI=gps and RNAV is activated, gs shows up.  If CDI=vloc and ILS is tuned, gs shows up.  this is with CDI button connected to the nav/gps switch setting = true (if false, the CDI and nav/gps switch doesn't sync).  

It looks like the nav variables are not overwritten by the GPS500 to animate the gs/loc.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

in addition to the issue above, i'm not able to change the bezel brightness.  according to the manual on p6, the bezel brightness can be adjusted independently from screen brightness (screen brightness slider works).

right now, the bezel is full bright emmissive at night when the gauge is placed in the vc (not pop up but on the panel surface).  ideally, the bezel should be pretty much black with button backlight (used to be green on the original rxp gauge but now white?).

thanks.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

We're reviewing the 'VOR' variables since the 2.3.1 release to make sure we didn't introduce a 'logic' error in how we manage them. 

As for the 'brightness', the issue you are having looks like it is a 3D model polygon surface type, which might be configured as 'emissive' (or similar). Otherwise, the gauge bezel integral lighting should be working fine and the bezel shouldn't be lit up, only the buttons and knobs integral lighting, which is green.

Speaking of the lighting, you might want to first assess it is working properly in a 2D popup window, and you might also notice thanks to our rendering technology the green lighting is barely visible during daylight, and lettering appears more white, while it is progressively becoming visible as night fall, while progressively appearing more green!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi, a quick update on the 'needle' issue: we've had no time to test this specifically today, because we've corrected other code related to the VOR needle (in fact, related to all our variable overrides):

It might be the issue you are having is directly related to this as well, so just keep tight, we'll test this specifically tomorrow and report.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

HI Jean-Luc,

thanks for looking into the needle issue.  

regarding the bezel lighting, this is what i'm seeing:

at night with panel/guague lights on (not the vc flood lights), the light maps turn on and i get the 1st one with the button brightness=100.  the bezel rendered on the vc is bright, 2d popup is not particularly dark (i recall the rxp v1 pop up looked darker at night).

rxp1.jpg

the 2nd one here is with brightness=0, maybe button brightness changed but the bezel itself didn't change.  the vc gauge is unchanged as well, bright gray bezel.
rxp2.jpg

A picture is worth a 1000 words!

First, the "Buttons" brightness is only for adjusting the integral lighting, that is the amount of light glowing though the buttons which allow to read the labels at night.

The bezel is only lit up by the panel lights.

Now there are two different cases: 2D panel/popup and VC.

2D panel: what controls the bezel lighting is a combination of panel.cfg "light" section settings, as well as popup window "light" settings. The gauge is designed to be almost agnostic to these, at least as much as possible, and renders dark like in your screenshots in most situations.

VC: what controls the bezel lighting is the polygon materials as defined by the aircraft 3D model. There is nothing we can do about this, because it is the 3D material, not the gauge, which controls this (the gauge only has limited possibilities in the VC).

I see nothing wrong in the popup window on your screenshots. At night, it properly gives the illusion of slight lighting on the edges of the screen by the screen itself, other shadows and highlights are moderate. At daylight, the same bezel looks correct as well, because these shadows and highlights are slightly but effectively accentuated by FS.

However, the VC is definitely not good looking. What about trying in another aircraft VC to compare?

Hi Jean-Luc,

The VC gauge--if you look at the standard fsx lear jet pfd gauge construction in Lear_45_XML.cab (or p3d's Maule_M7_260C.cab), you'll find bitmaps with "_night.bmp" suffix.  this forces the sim to render the "_night.bmp" at night time automatically.  So at night, a dark bezel/gauges can be displayed and during day time, the standard bezel/gauges can be displayed. 

I'm sure your bezel/button .bmps in the rxp.dll contains the daytime .bmp but i think you should be able to add a night version of the bezel/buttons like it's done on the xml gauges here.  the sim may not automatically select the day/night texture for a dll gauge but if you can conditionally select the .bmp off the simulator's time (dawn/day/dusk/night variables), this should be doable.  

mdf_nightmap.jpg

Hi Jean-Luc,

just tried v2.3.3 but behavior is the same for gps500.  gns530 is working the same as before, properly see gs for lpv and nav. 

as for the bezel suggestion i made above, hope you can give it some thought.  perhaps easiest route is to have a bezel xml gauge which has the day/night .bmp with click spots and display the gns530 as screen only.

Strangely, the RXP GPS500 I use in the RealAir B60, shows the LPV glidepath just fine..

Bert

Hi Bert,

i tried using the realair tduke v1.2 and i'm not seeing the LPV needle with the gps500.  nav1 gs needle works if 'connect to cdi mode to nav/gps=false' but regardless of this and the other settings, no luck on LPV here...

I wonder if the GPS500 is controlling the autopilot in your setup..

Is the GPS/NAV switch in the panel set to GPS?

When you first power it up, on the initial "Testpage", do the HSI needles deflect correctly?

Bert

gps500 is coupling to the ap, i see the needles deflect at power on if i set 'connect gps to vor indicator.'  vcdi/hcdi halfway as it should.

gps nav is working, follows track and procedures fine.  just no LPV with the 500.  

gns530 on the other hand is working perfectly fine.

i checked the win event log and see two errors each time the gps is turned on and off, always with exception codes 05 and 41d:

turn on/off first error

Faulting application name: G530SIM.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bff0a69
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x2370
Faulting application start time: 0x01d335755c43fb69
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\G530SIM.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 3de96b48-5c10-4a80-8c35-96cb739c1377
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

turn on/off 2nd error

Faulting application name: G530SIM.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bff0a69
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x6a17c1ed
Faulting process id: 0x2370
Faulting application start time: 0x01d335755c43fb69
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\G530SIM.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: fe76743c-f351-4244-8a74-1d31912cbc22
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: turn on/off 2nd error

28 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

gps nav is working, follows track and procedures fine.  just no LPV with the 500.  

Hi, just to make sure I understand: the needles work, the A/P works, the only thing not working as 'LPV' is what?

1) there is no vertical indication on the HSI?

2) there is a vertical indication on the HSI but the A/P is not following it?

As for the errors reported, we'll further look into this. What is puzzling is the 'offset' value in the error report, which leads me to believe there might be something going on with an anti-virus, or another process/module/gauge interacting somehow. Ideally, you'd try on an aircraft with no other gauge than default FS gauges to compare if you still get the error reports.

Also, I fail to find in the discussion: what is your Fsim version?

Not sure what the error messages mean.. but try this test and report back.

GPS500 in the RealAir Duke.. KTPA, load and activate the RNAV 01L LPV approach via PIE.

Fly the approach on autopilot at 2000 ft AGL in NAV mode.

After the FITPA teardrop hold, and onto final, the TERM indication on the GPS should switch to LPV.

The Glideslope indicators on the HSI should come on.

Then you press APR, and wait for the airplane to intercept the glidepath and pitch down..

At what point does this sequence fail?

• Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, RXP said:

Hi, just to make sure I understand: the needles work, the A/P works, the only thing not working as 'LPV' is what?

1) there is no vertical indication on the HSI?

2) there is a vertical indication on the HSI but the A/P is not following it?

As for the errors reported, we'll further look into this. What is puzzling is the 'offset' value in the error report, which leads me to believe there might be something going on with an anti-virus, or another process/module/gauge interacting somehow. Ideally, you'd try on an aircraft with no other gauge than default FS gauges to compare if you still get the error reports.

Also, I fail to find in the discussion: what is your Fsim version?

first of all, it's p3dv4 hf1.  

i thought other than the lpv mode, gps500 was at least tracking the flt pln but i just tried again and it seems to just point north 360 when nav is engaged (with gps/nav sw=gps).  maybe the behavior changed with the recent updates, i can't tell.

so here's what i'm seeing on my end with the current version:

1) gps500 isn't able to track plan or lpv 

2) gps500 on power up deflects hcdi/vcdi needles on the adi but once out of self test, flag comes down.

3) swap to gns530 on the same aircraft works fine.

tried this on both the tduke and xproto glj25.

g530sim.exe is on the list of excluded processes from the ms av realtime scan.