Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Cargo ship timelapse over 30 days

To answer a couple of questions which have cropped up:

Most container ships are designed to travel comparatively slowly for reasons of economy, typically about 24 knots, i.e. about 33mph. With regard to the ship in the video not appearing to move much on the waves, unless it encountered a really bad storm, it isn't going to appear to roll or pitch much since, not only is the camera placed centrally, where any sailor knows there is less movement felt, based on it appearing to have about sixteen or so intermodal shipping containers across its deck, I'd say it was probably a Panamax container ship, these are about 160 feet wide and about 1,200 feet long.

Ships that large are designed to handle typical ocean waves easily and really won't be rocked too much by them, although in really powerful storms they do get thrown about enough such that apparently there are several thousand containers lost at sea every year.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

From the same chap - check out the flex of the vessel! About 3:30 onwards..

• Upvote 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

18 hours ago, HighBypass said:

From the same chap - check out the flex of the vessel! About 3:30 onwards..

Pretty awesome