Sign in to follow this  
Q400lover

Adding Freeware scenery to P3D v4

Hi my names Aaron and while i am not new to flight sim i am vary new to P3D after getting V4. my question is, and my apologies if this was been answered before, if it was please point me in the right direction. Is there any way to add sceneries my the one linked below which looks to be for V3 into P3D v4? i noticed i noticed there was no add-on scenery folder and was wondering it i put them in a different place or if its not possible in V4.

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ktpa&CatID=p3d&Go=Search

You can add any scenery to P3d, V3 or V4.  I add scenery manually to my scenery.cfg although you can add it thru the scenery library as well, it's a matter of preference.  Below is an example of a scenery.cfg entry.  You will also note I have the scenery placed on a separate partition, it is easier to manage and back up that way:

[Area.134]
Title=Southwest New Mexico Megascenery
Local=D:\MegasceneryEarth\Southwest\New Mexico
Layer=134
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

I hope this is of some help to you.  Just place the scenery and texture folder, if any, in the folder and give it a useful name.  When the sim restarts, it will take a moment to rebuild the scenery library.  If you use the scenery library to add the scenery, you will place it on top, which will place the scenery at the bottom of the scenery.cfg.  Wierd, I know, but it works either way.  It's a simple process, the hardest part is deciding where you want to place the scenery, as I said I keep mine outside of the P3D program folder for backup purposes.  I always place the scenery bgls and textures first, then update the scenery.cfg manually or thru P3d.  I am the author of landclass assistant, a tool for updating landclass in P3D, FSX, FS9, and FS2002.

John

Ok so i added a folder into the main P3d folder named Add-on scenery and a sub folder in to that named Kord (G:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Addon Scenery\KORD), added it to the scenery manager and when i clicked ok i got a "scenery.cfg file error, but when i check the file this is what its saying, i even restarted the sim, same result. i must be doing something wrong.

[Area.135]
Title=KORD
Local=G:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Addon Scenery\KORD
Layer=135
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

18 minutes ago, Q400lover said:

Addon Scenery\KORD)

In the KORD folder there should 2 folders. Scenery and Texture. Add your scenery using the in sim scenery library.

Edited by bills511

There are no texture files. There are 4 BGL files: KORD_ADEP2_RWC.BGL, KORD_ADEP2_CW_RWC.BGL, KORD_ADEP2_RWC_CVX.BGL and KORD_ADEP2_RWC_OBJ.BGL file

Ahhhh so do you have payware scenery installed outside P3D?   

These files are the ones in the FSX days were added to the Addon Scenery/scenery folder.    

So the KORD_ADEP2_RWC.bgl and the KORD_ADEP2_CW_RWC.bgl are the same file but one allows crosswind operations.  You only use one of these two.   The file marked CVX will be in the same folder with whichever one you choose.

The OBJ file needs to go in the Scenery/Global/scenery folder

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

And why not simply following the readme.txt that comes along with this download? Everything is explained in great detail and comprehensive for anyone inside the readme...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Tangent inbound...what are some good free sceneries for P3Dv4?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Tangent inbound...what are some good free sceneries for P3Dv4?

sunskyjet KPHL

anything by Shez Ansari MCAS Yuma, KLGB (i think it has some issue in v4 though), etc

Airports of Norway

Still kind of trial and error what works and what doesn't.  I just found a nice Quebec scenery on AVSIM.  

There is a decent KMSY scenery on AVSIM complete with green roofs.

Also  decent KMSP exists on AVSIM.

Robert Catharall (sp?) has taken many of Ray Smith's great sceneries and updated them to v4.  They cover mostly large airports that are usually covered by payware devs but if u don't have a certain one then its great to have.  

Most of what i mentioned above have custom buildings etc that make it stand out but many of the AFCADs/airports that worked in P3D v3 work in v4.  You may need to use ADE program to fix the taxiways but thats it. 

• Upvote 1

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

1 hour ago, jason99vmi said:

sunskyjet KPHL

This does not work for me in P3D, are you using in v4.2 Jason? Is there something from them later than v1.0?  Good scenery in FSX, I miss it.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 minutes ago, downscc said:

This does not work for me in P3D, are you using in v4.2 Jason? Is there something from them later than v1.0?  Good scenery in FSX, I miss it.

Yep, works fine for me.  I can double check tonight.   I had an issue in v3 where at  a few thousand feet above the airport a purple outline showed up underneath the scenery but haven't see it since.  

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I got it, thanks for the help. I needed to add both the scenery and texture folder to the add on scenery folder.