Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Question for iPhone/iPad Avsim Users

Here's a general question for Avsim membership.

Jim and I were having a conversation about the forums and I was telling him that using my iPhone 6S Plus on ios10 that I am unable to get the phone to switch the forums from the mobile version to the desktop site.

Typically this can be accomplished in Safari by using the Send To/Request Desktop Site on the phone and it will reload a website from mobile to desktop version, however I can't get it to work on the Avsim forums. I also tried using the Chrome browsers and it also will not work, however it works on other sites.

So my question for other forum members that use iPhones to browse the forums, are you able to get your iPhone to display the desktop site? If so, how?

For member that have been here a long time, you'll probably remember before the last forum software update that at the bottom of the forums, there was a link to request the desktop site, but the new forums don't have that option any longer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've got an iPad Pro or whatever it is called (the expensive very big one) and I hate using it to browse Avsim as it is annoying on that thing, so I guess that's what you mean.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

54 minutes ago, Chock said:

I've got an iPad Pro or whatever it is called (the expensive very big one) and I hate using it to browse Avsim as it is annoying on that thing, so I guess that's what you mean.

Alan, so are you saying your not able to get to the desktop version of Avsim on the iPad?

11 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Alan, so are you saying your not able to get to the desktop version of Avsim on the iPad?

I'll have to have it to hand to check that, and can't do that until tomorrow since I am at my GF's house tonight. But I will check it tomorrow and let you know. iPads are great for some things, but they're not my favourite for web surfing and typing.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'll have to have it to hand to check that, and can't do that until tomorrow since I am at my GF's house tonight. But I will check it tomorrow and let you know. iPads are great for some things, but they're not my favourite for web surfing and typing.

Thanks Al, didn't realize you were at Fiona's house tonight.

On AVSIM through the iPad right now but I can't go back to the mobile version.

I use Chrome and it has those three vertical dots on the right side where you can request the desktop/mobile version of the site but for some reason mine is stuck on desktop mode even if Chrome says its now showing the mobile version of AVSIM. Only happens with this site.

I'd tell you one thing though, trying to browse AVSIM topics on mobile with some members that have signatures as long as what seems like the history of the entire human race is incredibly difficult.

7 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Here's a general question for Avsim membership.

Jim and I were having a conversation about the forums and I was telling him that using my iPhone 6S Plus on ios10 that I am unable to get the phone to switch the forums from the mobile version to the desktop site.

Typically this can be accomplished in Safari by using the Send To/Request Desktop Site on the phone and it will reload a website from mobile to desktop version, however I can't get it to work on the Avsim forums. I also tried using the Chrome browsers and it also will not work, however it works on other sites.

So my question for other forum members that use iPhones to browse the forums, are you able to get your iPhone to display the desktop site? If so, how?

For member that have been here a long time, you'll probably remember before the last forum software update that at the bottom of the forums, there was a link to request the desktop site, but the new forums don't have that option any longer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am not sure I understand what you mean.  I am currently reading this post on my iPad Pro and on my MacBook Pro and this page's layout is exactly the same on both versions of Safari.

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I use my iPad 95% of the time online, and I have no problems al all viewing Avsim full site.

Kev

• Upvote 1

I can confirm that using request desktop site works in Chrome on Android. The site responds properly to that function when using that browser.

6 hours ago, krazyk said:

trying to browse AVSIM topics on mobile with some members that have signatures as long as what seems like the history of the entire human race is incredibly difficult.

That would violate the AVSIM Signature rules if that long but a very good description.  You need to report those as we do not catch them all (see report button inside of their post or topic).  Thanks.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Oracle427 said:

desktop site works in Chrome on Android

I have no problems on Android too but he's got an I-Pad and I-Phone (ugh!). :huh:

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok, I was finally able to get the desktop version to work on the iPad but still can't get it to work in the iPhone.

Any iPhone users able to get the switch from mobile to desktop?

For viewing forums on a mobile device, I find that the Tapatalk app is by far the best option. Just wondering is there any reason why AVSIM isn't Tapatalk enabled?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

The app is not compatible with AVSIM and Tom went to them and told them to update it to make it compatible and they said they would not make any changes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM