Sign in to follow this  
Helix1250

MCE and PF3 reply timings

I was hoping someone might have a answer to this issue I come up against from time to time.

what I'm finding is that sometimes when in cruise and FO has the radios PF3 will give me a climb request, but sometimes before he has time to confirm that climb instruction he also gets a controlling frequency change. So he changes the frequency without confirming the climb instruction first, then checks in with the new control centre with the climb reply, but no control centre check in. 

As a result PF3 I think gets all confused with the replies from MCE and stops responding to any voice inputs, apart from asking for a "say again" request. I think it's expecting two MCE replies, one for the climb, and then one for the centre check in. But PF3 only sees the one after the frequency change for the climb confirmation. 

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this? I'm hoping there is a timing setting I can alter in PF3 or MCE that will get around this tricky situation. 

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rob

Make sure you always check in with the next facility. Otherwise PF3 won't work properly (maybe it will send interceptors in a future version...). If you notice the situation you describe ask your FO "Contact ATC" or do it yourself.

A missing readback of a climb instruction would not be a problem for PF3 I think.

As far as I know there is not such a timing setting you wish for in PF3 or MCE. The problem with instructions almost simultaneously with a handoff in PF3 has already been brought up in the PF3 Beta Forum. It might get improved in future versions.

Okay Thanks Ralf9636,

i didn't think check in myself with ATC worked either, I'll give it another try when it happens.

Rob

If PF3 becomes unresponsive (except for "say again") and checking in is not possible any more you probably crossed the next Center boundary. In that case manually tune in the next Center frequency and try to check in there. You might even have to go two or three facilities forward. That happened to me once when I crossed the border between Belgium and France three times within a minute.

Yes I had considered that might have been a issue with my flight. It would be a great addition for PF 3 to show the Frequency you should be connected to rather than what your actually connected to. i am referring to the display utility that comes with PF3, which we have to use as the kneeboard doesn't work in P3D.

anyway I'll give it another try and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Helix1250 said:

Yes I had considered that might have been a issue with my flight. It would be a great addition for PF 3 to show the Frequency you should be connected to rather than what your actually connected to. i am referring to the display utility that comes with PF3, which we have to use as the kneeboard doesn't work in P3D.

anyway I'll give it another try and see what happens.

Agreed. Please post that on the PF3 Forum.